writing Patron-Minette?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: writing Patron-Minette?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I thought Montparnasse was some sort of prowler (who left a trail of corpses in his wake). He's a pretty, well dressed robber who does hold-ups well enough, I think.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Roses for Ophelia wrote:"the pretty one" is my new nickname for Montparnasse!

Patron-Minette seems to specialize in burglary, but we are told they have a hand in everything. Maybe Monty looks well dressed and respectable enough to charm some lady, get invited to dinner and case the joint and leave the windows open, and things like that. He could be their undercover guy! We're told he's charming, so maybe he's a con-artist. He's probably the best at distractions as well, as who's gonna worry if there's a 'slightly drunk' dandy walking behind them at 2 in the morning...until said dandy pulls his knife. There's lots of stuff he could specialize in.

Roses for Ophelia, I love this! I mean, I absolutely love it. Speaking of him being the undercover guy, he is pretty good with his disguises (and has more clothes than any of the Mizzies combined...). He also has a lot of hidden blades (including the one in his cane). You combine that with Éponine's drag! act and you've got something there.

AO, you're awesome for this as well.

One of my problems for writing the P-M, is that I am not just writing them in terms of fic, but visual narratives (aka, comic), and this is really helping. I've been (don't laugh) watching this old Hanna-Barbera Oliver Twist and Artful Dodger cartoon movie, and it's (embarrassingly enough), helping out quite a bit.

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Montparnasse always makes me think of McHeath (more the Brecht/Weill version than John Gay's), or (being of a certain age) Adam Ant in Stand and Deliver: I'm the dandy highwayman
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:01 pm

silverwhistle wrote:Montparnasse always makes me think of McHeath (more the Brecht/Weill version than John Gay's), or (being of a certain age) Adam Ant in Stand and Deliver: I'm the dandy highwayman

That's funny because I wrote alternate lyrics to Mack the Knife about Montparnasse just a week ago here:
http://abaisse.the-barricade.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=516&start=15

Great minds think alike, eh?
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 am

Rose In Misery wrote:
silverwhistle wrote:Montparnasse always makes me think of McHeath (more the Brecht/Weill version than John Gay's), or (being of a certain age) Adam Ant in Stand and Deliver: I'm the dandy highwayman

That's funny because I wrote alternate lyrics to Mack the Knife about Montparnasse just a week ago here:

Charlotte Martin's 'Cool Killer' is also Mont's theme song.

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:19 am

collectingbees wrote:
Rose In Misery wrote:

Charlotte Martin's 'Cool Killer' is also Mont's theme song.

I just looked up the lyrics for it. Definitely his theme song. I love that it keeps mentioning a guy called Hugo. I doubt it's a reference to Victor but it still gives me the giggles.
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 pm

The "Hugo" is Charlotte Martin's dog, who she is scolding in the only known recording of the song. I am pretty positive he was named after Victor Hugo, because CharMar is that awesome.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:15 am

If you have Montparnasse as MacHeath, then you've got Babet as Hook-Finger Jacob, and Gueulemer as Robert the Saw. That leaves Claquesous... Money Matthew? Though the only similarity I can find is in the name...

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:00 am

Aurelia Combeferre: I cannot believe I missed your last comment--that makes so much sense. I don't have much of a sense of hold-ups (save Wild West-y types and stage coaches and the lot), but I will have to do some research.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Not sure how Monty would do it, but I know that the usual strategy is to get close to the victim and make it obvious that you have a weapon and you're not afraid to use it to get your way (e.g. brandishing blades or holding the gun to the head). Usually takes place in dark alleys or places where it is awfully difficult to run.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Montparnasse killed Bruce Wayne's parents in the alley behind the opera.

("hold-up" in this sense is "mugging" in late 20th c. US)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:23 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:Montparnasse killed Bruce Wayne's parents in the alley behind the opera

Is this a new kind of game of Clue

because if so I want to play it RIGHT NOW.

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 pm

THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE, AC! :D

MmeBahorel: Can I still have the mental image of Montparnasse holding up a stage coach? :D Not even How the West Was Miserable-style, just straight up 1830's Monty. *giggles*

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 pm

collectingbees wrote:Can I still have the mental image of Montparnasse holding up a stage coach?

As Adam Ant's Dandy Highwayman in Stand and Deliver, perhaps?
I'm the dandy highwayman who you're too scared to mention
I spend my cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention…

I'm the dandy highwayman so sick of easy fashion
The clumsy boots, peek-a-boo roots that people think so dashing
So what's the point of robbery when nothing is worth taking?
It's kind of tough to tell a scruff the big mistake he's making
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh dear, that is Montparnasse! :lol:

I had a question: In the Brick, it says that Brujon was the one who was checking out the rue Plumet for a casing, but in several adaptations, the Original French Concept album, the musical, and the 1982 mini series( granted the first and the 3rd were directed by the same person! :D) , it makes it that Montparnasse was scoping the place out. Did I miss something?

Return to “Brick Meta”