A thought about dreaded pairings

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: A thought about dreaded pairings

Postby Acaila » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 am

I really need to set aside some time and go through yours Relly. I think it came up on google for me earlier when I was looking up stuff on Charles Jeanne??! :shock:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 am

It's presently at 22 chapters of over 25k words (someone counted!!).

And the Jeanne reference comes up because the Amis refer to having met him, and there's a long conversation with Babet and Éponine about how Claquesous/Le Cabuc was *not* at Saint Merry.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 am

Fabulous! :D
(Offtopic, but I desperately wish that book by/about him was available in English :()
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm

It seems there's a Cosette/Joly fad springing up on tumblr. Dreaded? I'm not sure, but definitely interesting.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 am

Majestic_Picnob wrote:It seems there's a Cosette/Joly fad springing up on tumblr. Dreaded? I'm not sure, but definitely interesting.

Interesting, but strange. :shock:

I still fail to see reason for Jehan/Parnasse.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 am

I believe the Jehan/Montparnasse pairing comes from taking the "woobiest" of the Amis, "poor, innocent, little Prouvaire" (please note my use of quotation marks) to match him with someone really rough around the edges, who maybe takes advantage of the fact that he's "so impressionable."

In some ways this exists in Bahorel/Prouvaire, but if you make Bahorel a total bastard, then you're doing it wrong. Whereas you can make 'Parnasse a bastard (well, I mean, you can, whether that's right or not, you'll get less flak for it than if you do it to Bahorel), and then achieve the traditional: adorable-twink/total-asshole-who-takes-advantage-of-him pairing. Which is what most of Jehan/Montparnasse seems to be written like.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:50 am

Oh, that makes sense, then. But still, Jehan and Montparnasse just doesn't click as being somewhat plausible in my brain.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:54 am

Because how can Bahorel (or, as is more common now, Courfeyrac) rush in and save him from his abusive relationship if he's not in an abusive relationship? C'maawwn, Gervais. ;)

I don't remember the pairing being very big before the influx of fans following the movie, who I think brought the trope with them from other fandoms. I know there's definitely tropes and stereotypes that are used in the Supernatural fandom, for example, that are very rarely (or never) applied to Les Mis, but would be if we saw a large migration of SPN fans into the Les Mis fic pool, for example.

I used "for example" twice in that sentence. Whateva, whateva, I do what I want.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:00 am

deHavilland wrote:Because how can Bahorel (or, as is more common now, Courfeyrac) rush in and save him from his abusive relationship if he's not in an abusive relationship? C'maawwn, Gervais. ;)

I don't remember the pairing being very big before the influx of fans following the movie, who I think brought the trope with them from other fandoms. I know there's definitely tropes and stereotypes that are used in the Supernatural fandom, for example, that are very rarely (or never) applied to Les Mis, but would be if we saw a large migration of SPN fans into the Les Mis fic pool, for example.

I used "for example" twice in that sentence. Whateva, whateva, I do what I want.

But... We need Montparnasse to kick the crap out of Éponine on Thénardier's orders, so Enjolras can save her! And then Éponine can realize what a jerk Marius is, and fall in love with Enjolras. In like two chapters.

(I've read the same fanfiction under various names with different writing styles so many times, OK? E/É has every right to exist, but I've read the same thing about twenty times, and I'm a bit cracked and sort of want to punch a wall)
Last edited by Rachel on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:06 am

He can kick them both at the same time! Then Bahorel/Courfeyrac and Enjolras, who are walking through the Luxembourg together, as they do, can encounter both poor woobie Eppie!Sue and poor woobie OOC!Jehan at the same time in an alley in the middle of the Luxembourg that totally exists.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 am

But... If he kicked them in the ribs after slapping them so they fall over (seriously, it's always the same sequence of punches and kicks), how the hell is he supposed to kick them both at the same time? Do some ridiculous star jump?

(Also, I keep leaving words out of sentences today)

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 am

In one beating, I meant, he can alternate.

Though I would not be opposed to someone writing in a particularly spectacular star jump.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 am

In general, I do think that there is a certain justification for writing many pairings, but the rule to me is as simple as that:

The weirder it is (or the more unlikely), the more effort you have to put into it to make it somehow become plausible. Effort as in many pages and loads of plot (which would be for example the "Thenardier's redemption" style) or at least in terms of tremendously fabulous writing and absolutely spot-on words (which would be for example the stuff that unicornesque is doing, which is really, really fabulous... that girl has a way with words, for sure, and I love nothing if not awesome wordplay...)

Also, when going for a pairing that is obviously and clearly AU, I would say that it's best to make it fully so, and not try to pretend that this is actually canon based on this and that tiny snippet of brick text (or movie scene...). AUs, to me, if well done, are fully okay. But they shouldn't pretend to be canon. And they should show a certain respect for canon...

Generaly I'd say I'm pretty open minded when it comes to pairings, if done with effort and respect... but any pairing written badly is an ugly thing
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:55 am

Yep. I agree. I will read *any* pairing, but you have to convince me of it. Which is why most E/E fic doesn't do it for me, because I think getting canon era Enjy into any relationship is difficult and Éponine is completely in love with someone else.
While I do read quite a bit of it (probably mostly because it's the fandom favourite pairing as much as anything else), E/R is sort of the same. I like it as an unrequited relationship in canon, so it needs a bit of work to convince me. And I like my canon era R to not be Blagden inspired really. Not so fussy with AUs though for E/R, so long as they manage to keep them vaguely in character.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 am

I really, really want to find a genuinely great M/É fic. I prefer M/C, but I still think M/É is a cool and potentially cute pairing, plus I wubs 'Ponine to bits and think she deserves a happy ending. The best ones I've found are only above-average, sadly; most of the time I find one that looks good but then goes and includes something that makes me turn away. Memorably, I found one recently that had an awesome summary, but when I went in I saw that Marius was described as "rich" in the second paragraph, and the back button was clicked. All I want is a well-written, in-character, reasonably-canon-compliant, non-Cosette-bashing, non-reducing-Valjean-and-everyone-else-not-related-to-the-romance-arc-to-an-extra M/É fic. Does such a thing exist?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Return to “Brick Meta”