A thought about dreaded pairings

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Re: A thought about dreaded pairings

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:39 pm

*skips into conversation a few months late* Did someone say Enjolras/Cosette? What where when how?
Maybe there were one or two Éppyboppers back then, but it seems like they only started mass-producing after the musical, where Éponine was portrayed in a much more sympathetic light.
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:43 am

I mean, for as long as there's been communication there's been people misinterpreting it, so almost definitely there were people who just completely missed the point of her character.

For more things that have been horribly misinterpreted see the Bible, Harry Potter, Next to Normal, and everything ever.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Mademoiselle Mabeuf

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Here's a tragic story about poor Éponine, whose father beats her. She plans to jump into the Seine, but Marius Pontmercy comes strolling up and...but I don't want to give away the ending. Sadly, Evil Cosette is not featured.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9395898/1/Saving-Grace
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 am

Mademoiselle Mabeuf wrote:Here's a tragic story about poor Éponine, whose father beats her. She plans to jump into the Seine, but Marius Pontmercy comes strolling up and...but I don't want to give away the ending. Sadly, Evil Cosette is not featured.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9395898/1/Saving-Grace

Um, which one? Because there are tons of stories with that same plot...

Quotes to live by:

Mademoiselle Mabeuf

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 am

I know, right?
^Victor Hugo on my life.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:01 am

Well, the supervillain!Cosette fic concluded with a sharp turn into unfunny. Cosette's comeuppance? Being beaten up by a freshly-turned-good Mme T. Yup, exactly as happened to her as a kid. Except now Mme. T's the good guy somehow. Ick ick ick.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Well, the supervillain!Cosette fic concluded with a sharp turn into unfunny. Cosette's comeuppance? Being beaten up by a freshly-turned-good Mme T. Yup, exactly as happened to her as a kid. Except now Mme. T's the good guy somehow. Ick ick ick.

Link, link, link! Please!

Quotes to live by:

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:16 pm

The only pairing that really makes me want to cringe is Éponine/Cosette. I really don't know why but this pairing bugs me. It has nothing to do with homophobia ( like I've been accused of on tumblr and Facebook) because I like the Enjolras/Grantaire pairing.

My main ship is E/E but my Éponine is definitely not a damsel in distress waiting to be rescued by her knight in shining armor (Enjolras). She can take care of herself and stand up to her crooked and abusive father on her own. Whenever I read a fanfic where Éponine is portrayed as some fragile thing I want to scream. I mean, this gal has been living on the Paris streets for a long time. I'm sure she knows how to take care of guys who want to have their way with her. She definitely would not need to go running to Marius or Enjolras each time some thug put his hand on her.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Yep.

Actually in some way....Éponine could be the one saving the guys from getting into trouble on the streets. :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Enjolras/Marius. That is all. I'm okay with Eposette as a once-in-a-while thing or as a secondary pairing.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Just to point out, if you read the whole of this thread, it hasn't really been a "put all the ships you hate" place. If we get too into ship-shaming, we're probably going to end up being no better than tumblr, and I know how so many of you pride yourself that we are above that sort of fighting ;).

Besides, you really don't want to open the floodgates to me moaning about the current fanon ship I really hate :evil:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:33 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:How about Gavroche/Enjolras? And then the former gets the latter pregnant. I'll post the link if I find it again.

Although I can honestly say there are no pairings I really hate ( provided its well written and not just a bunch of smut) an E/G story would be a bit much for me to handle.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:02 am

Acaila wrote:Just to point out, if you read the whole of this thread, it hasn't really been a "put all the ships you hate" place. If we get too into ship-shaming, we're probably going to end up being no better than tumblr, and I know how so many of you pride yourself that we are above that sort of fighting ;).

Besides, you really don't want to open the floodgates to me moaning about the current fanon ship I really hate :evil:

Yeah, guys, this thread started out as a game of "take a pairing you hate or find wildly implausible and try to come up with a set of circumstances that'd make it plausible, or at least plausible in Hugo-land." Which is about the exact opposite of a ship-bashing thread.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Return to “Brick Meta”