A thought about dreaded pairings

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: A thought about dreaded pairings

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 am

Do it! :D It's about time someone did.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun May 05, 2013 4:19 am

Well, as far as satire goes, I did find this one (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8947885/1/That-s-Not-Right) which is essentially about Marius pointing out the plot holes in a typical bad Mizfic.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 5:04 am

Oh THAT one had me snickering. Very observant Pontmercy there.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun May 05, 2013 7:25 am

YES! SCORE! Finally found one! A truly great M/E fic! It has everything I wanted: no distressed-damsellery! Canon-compliant; Les Amis die in the right order, even! No Cosette-bashing (though there is a little in the author's notes, but none in the story)! And it's remarkably similar in writing style to Hugo's prose, too! Check it out! http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3689554/1/Falling-Up

It's basically a "for want of a nail" story; Cosette and Valjean successfully go to England here, which eventually leads to Marius having to move in with the Thenardier girls while their parents are in the clink, and the rest, as they say, is history.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:I swear, half my reason for writing my fic now is to deconstruct these tropes:

-E/E love at first sight
-Montparnasse as abusive
-M. Thenardier as the underdog in his marriage with Mme. Thenardier. In the book it was the other way around.

I sign the first two. The third doesn't jar me that much but I would like to add

- Éponine being the weak teary abused girl having to be rescued by Enjolras
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 am

Ah yes I remember "Falling Up"! Yes, that is the one M/E fic I actually brought myself to finish.

And if I read another Eponine-needs-rescue fic, modern AU or not, I might weep.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 am

Oh i will have to check that one then!

*gives relly a tissue*
I will try to steer clear of that.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am

I guess it's one thing to have Enjolras get Éponine out of a sticky situation in fic (it's hard to fight off men twice one's size or something like that). But it's another to have Éponine looking at Enjolras as her way out of things....oh wait, wasn't that supposed to be Marius?

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:21 am

Ah yes. I definitely see what you mean.

On a side note anyone that looks towards Marius for salvation is probably pretty lost *sighs*

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 10:27 am

And even so Éponine might have only been in for the ideal of him, not the man himself.

Another trope that ought to get deconstructed is that of Cosette being written as a complete airhead beside the 'sassier' Éponine.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 am

Yes, that's actually a view I strongly agree with. He kind of showed her that off-handed kindness that was better than anything she had received in a while.
I tend to think she viewed him rather as an impersonation of things she wished for, instead of the real thing.

Yes, true. Even though one has to admit that during a large part of the brick, Cosette SEEMS to be slightly airheady...
But her sheer history as well as the smaller sidelines actually point towards a different kind of strength.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 10:34 am

I blame Hugo's writing there. Cosette comes more into her own in the last 1/8th of the book, and that's the part I wished surfaced more in pairing fics.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 am

Yes true. It's probably also a question on how to portray strong women during that period in fiction. It's probably easier for the sassy street girl.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 am

Maybe it's many writers' tendenciesto simply think that women who lived more conventional lives as grisettes or the wives and relatives of bourgeoisie cannot stand out or be strong.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 05, 2013 11:34 am

That's my suspicion, yes.

Return to “Brick Meta”