A thought about dreaded pairings

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
SpiritOfDawn

Re: A thought about dreaded pairings

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 am

When it comes to the "rich" thing, I would probably not have clicked the back button just yet... because that may be a manner of perspective.
Marius is not rich at the moment, but to Éponine, he is still probably somewhat part of the upper class. It might be interesting for her to explore what she actually thinks about him "playing at being poor". Depending on how opportunistic the take on Éponine is, that may raise some real confusion.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am

Found some more supervillain!Cosettes. One of them teamed up with Montparnasse to get revenge. And I'd say that was the most ridiculous teamup in the story, were it not for the fact that Marius and Éponine are saved from their dastardly, dastardly clutches by Javert and Enjolras. Also Cosette tortures Éponine with a Sweeney Todd razor.

Also, I've noticed a lot of recent M/E fics seem to like killing off Azelma...
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Found some more supervillain!Cosettes. One of them teamed up with Montparnasse to get revenge. And I'd say that was the most ridiculous teamup in the story, were it not for the fact that Marius and Éponine are saved from their dastardly, dastardly clutches by Javert and Enjolras. Also Cosette tortures Éponine with a Sweeney Todd razor.

Also, I've noticed a lot of recent M/E fics seem to like killing off Azelma...

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THE RAZOR ONE LINK ME TO IT I NEED THIS STORY IN MY LIFE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 am

Yo.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8938479/15/ ... l-Nextdoor

This same author wrote another evil!Cosette one where she teams up with Thenardier and a third M/E fic where Cosette... breaks up with Marius amicably and finds a lovely man for herself.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat May 04, 2013 2:15 am

That's hilarious.

Quotes to live by:

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 am

What I find interesting and kind of funny about a lot of terrible M/E fic is that Marius and Éponine's personalities tend to be... inverted, for lack of a better term. Thus you get Knight-in-shining-armor!Marius and Distressed-damsel!Éponine who Marius has to rescue from the bad guys, usually Montparnasse, when in canon Éponine's as street-smart as can be and Marius is a doof who couldn't rescue his way out of a wet paper bag. :P What's doubly funny in a sort of roundabout metatextual way is that this is exactly how Éponine sees herself and Marius. Maybe these Eppyboppers understand her character better than we thought...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 am

That's an interesting point actually :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 am

It actually is. Kind of makes me laugh, with how true it really could be. :lol:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Which shows why this whole road is kind of doomed, I guess...

Funnily, to me, a good M/E would be one of the hardest things to write - actually more difficult than a good E/E (which may also of course be because I have spent lots of thought on how to bring about the latter, and not really on the former...). that would need a lot of character development.
Especially if one wants to do it and still maintain a semi-canon version of Cosette.

It can be said for most bad É/anyone fics, however, that this "having to be rescued"-motive appears, unfortunately.
But I agree, it*s most hilarious with Marius, for this role reversal...
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun May 05, 2013 12:09 am

I actually found a pretty good one on the same trawl that coughed up the razor one. Cosette not only parts with Marius on good terms, she gives Éponine one of her old dresses so she looks less like she crawled out of the gutter.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 05, 2013 12:22 am

Majestic_Picnob wrote:I actually found a pretty good one on the same trawl that coughed up the razor one. Cosette not only parts with Marius on good terms, she gives Éponine one of her old dresses so she looks less like she crawled out of the gutter.

But... the razor one was awesome!

Quotes to live by:

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun May 05, 2013 3:18 am

Interestingly, I've noticed that a lot of bad M/É fic cliches come right from the book, even if there's no sign otherwise that the writer has read it. Azelma is usually a major character (and commonly gets killed by the bad guys to show they're bad; though of course Éponine is saved before they can do the same to her), Gavroche is their brother (and the littlest ones are even mentioned sometimes), Monty is Ép's often-abusive ex, and as far as the Thenardier parents go Monsieur is usually dominant to Madame, in contrast to the musical where they're more or less partners and the film where, arguably, Madame is in control.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 05, 2013 3:53 am

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Interestingly, I've noticed that a lot of bad M/É fic cliches come right from the book, even if there's no sign otherwise that the writer has read it. Azelma is usually a major character (and commonly gets killed by the bad guys to show they're bad; though of course Éponine is saved before they can do the same to her), Gavroche is their brother (and the littlest ones are even mentioned sometimes), Monty is Ép's often-abusive ex, and as far as the Thenardier parents go Monsieur is usually dominant to Madame, in contrast to the musical where they're more or less partners and the film where, arguably, Madame is in control.

I'd say that those float around a lot in the fandom, though. So those are all common knowledge for both brick readers and non brick readers.

EDIT: Or common bullcrap, like 'Parnasse being abusive (seriously, his greatest ambition is to be a gentleman)

Quotes to live by:

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 05, 2013 4:00 am

I swear, half my reason for writing my fic now is to deconstruct these tropes:

-E/E love at first sight
-Montparnasse as abusive
-M. Thenardier as the underdog in his marriage with Mme. Thenardier. In the book it was the other way around.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 05, 2013 4:01 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:I swear, half my reason for writing my fic now is to deconstruct these tropes:

-E/E love at first sight
-Montparnasse as abusive
-M. Thenardier as the underdog in his marriage with Mme. Thenardier. In the book it was the other way around.

I just want to write a fic embracing all of these and using them all in heavy heavy satire.

Quotes to live by:

Return to “Brick Meta”