Unanswered Questions

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:22 pm

*shudders at the sequel*

Does anyone know what General Lamarque really died of in 1832? Was it the cholera that got him or something else?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:11 pm

French wiki sez "Il est mort du choléra en 1832." So I pick that one.

(Not surprisingly, the English wiki only rambled about his connections to LM...)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks much!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

collectingbees

Re: Unanswered Questions

Postby collectingbees » Sun May 02, 2010 6:02 am

It mentioned in the Book that Brujon had a child in 1832 as part of mentioning a "dynasty of Brujons." It was brought up once and never spoken of again. I always wanted to know more, so that's an unanswered question for me.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 02, 2010 6:26 am

Presumably said child went into the family business, probably in the same manner as the Thenardier kids did.

My unanswered question actually revolves around Jean Valjean's nephews and nieces. Hugo never said what happened to them (at least not explicitly). No notes anywhere on that?

brittlesmile

Postby brittlesmile » Sun May 02, 2010 4:50 pm

I seem to remember there being something written about Valjean not really caring about/remembering them anymore once he gets out of prison, so I'd guess this was left deliberately unanswered. I guess the idea is that if you spend 20 years without seeing any of the people you care about you either block them out of your mind or go all Monte Cristo-like obsessed?
"Détruire les abus, cela ne suffit pas; il faut modifier les moeurs. Le moulin n'y est plus, le vent y est encore."

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

I seem to remember there being something written about Valjean not really caring about/remembering them anymore once he gets out of prison, so I'd guess this was left deliberately unanswered.

It was he looked for them while he was the mayor, but as he couldn't find them he put them out of his mind. The line sounded like to me not that he didn't care, but that he wasn't going to torture himself with memories of people when there was nothing he could do to find them.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon May 03, 2010 1:39 am

Seems as if lots of people go missing in the Brick. Like Thenardier's two youngest boys. I presume they became gamins after the uprising.

brittlesmile

Postby brittlesmile » Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 am

That was it! I think the end point is the same - the prison sentences are lengthy to the point of cruelty in yet another way because they are responsible for the forced separation of families (unless the implication is that they deliberately broke contact with him because they didn't want the stigma of being associated with a convict?)

But, yeah. It is really interesting how many people go missing. I mean, I think part of it is a logistical thing - the thing would be even more impossibly long if it spent time tying up all of their stories, but on the other hand it's also a remark on how the lives of the poor slip away without much notice (I know for me it brings up memories of the homeless people I see in my area. You see the same person every day for years, and then one day you don't see them anymore).
"Détruire les abus, cela ne suffit pas; il faut modifier les moeurs. Le moulin n'y est plus, le vent y est encore."

ivrogne transfiguré

Postby ivrogne transfiguré » Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm

I think you're right, brittlesmile. Take the two Thenardier boys, for instance. They're not dropped from the narrative when they are no longer needed - when they have no further interaction with the 'main' characters, i.e. when Gavroche loses them. They are brought up again after he dies, apparently pointlessly, having no effect on the plot at all, and the scene doesn't really give us any more information than we had probably already guessed or assumed. His point seems very much to be about the nature of these poor children's lives, and how irrelevantly they are treated.

Lamarque-is-Dead

Postby Lamarque-is-Dead » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 am

How did Valjean tell Cosette that Marius was wounded?

He wasn't even supposed to know she was in love with Marius, but I guess he could have told her he figured it out from the way they stared at each other in the Luxembourg and her sadness when he stopped taking her there. But how could he have told her Marius was wounded without revealing that he personally went to the barricade and saved Marius for her? Or are we just supposed to assume Cosette was so freaked out by the news that she didn't care how Valjean knew?
Mistress of Dubious Compliments (thanks, Acaila!)
Valjean is my homeboy :D

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 am

*pokes thread with a stick*

For the two Thénardier boys, I assumed the older one became a second Gavroche. I'm unsure of other translations, but in the Denny, the older one takes the piece of bread, breaks it in pieces, keeps the smallest one for himself and says "stuff your gob with this". This is precisely what Gavroche did for the two of them when they met for the first time. Kind of gives you hope, doesn't it? That though the soldiers can kill Gavroche, they can't kill spirit and they can't kill ideas? And no matter what, they're still brave, strong, selfless people out there? It's nice.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm

I've always assumed that the Thenardier child who Madame T abandons when they have Cosette at the inn is Gavroche as a baby? Would I be right with this?
The law is unjust.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Thought that as soon as I saw it. I don't see why it would be otherwise? lol.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm

What did they do with all the bodies from the barricade?
How did the get rid of all the furniture?
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Return to “Brick Meta”