Unanswered Questions

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:08 am

Heh, my Enjolras figment is taller than my Javert figment.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 am

Guys, for srs? There's already a thread on how you picture the characters. Drag it up from the depths if you want to talk about how tall they are.

What I want to know is why there are editions of the book where Joly doesn't get killed in the final barricade chapter. Was it just a typo, or did Hugo have something else planned?
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:04 am

:o How now? And which makes me wonder, why Joly of all the amis as well.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:14 am

Marianne wrote:40 sous = 2 francs, or about $15. The conversion is a little screwy though, because physical commodities (food, clothing, etc) were much more expensive compared to, say, rent. So a franc could be worth anywhere between five and thirty present-day dollars.

For comparison: by law, a loaf of bread cost 1 sou; a skilled laborer like Feuilly made 3 francs (60 sous) a day; Marius, while poor, made about 700 francs a year, of which 30 went to his rent.

I thank you, Marianne. :)
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 pm

There are editions where he survives? That must be an error, mustn't it?

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:11 pm

No error. How else was he to write his Joly x Azelma sequel? :lol:

That is weird though...
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:51 pm

... That's an odd pairing, somehow. :lol: :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:58 pm

There are editions (and translations) of the chapter The Heroes that read thus:

Bossuet was killed; Feuilly was killed; Courfeyrac was killed; Combeferre, transfixed by three blows from a bayonet in the breast at the moment when he was lifting up a wounded soldier, had only time to cast a glance to heaven when he expired.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:42 pm

Maybe it was a mistake and, distracted by the repitition, they forgot Joly? I doubt it, but...weird...

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:13 am

SylvieProuvaire1832 wrote:No error. How else was he to write his Joly x Azelma sequel? :lol:

That is weird though...

It's a good thing that I don't have enough time to write fic...

:twisted:

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:57 am

From a kajillion pages ago...

I've always had this theory that Montparnasse turned out to be the guy that gave Thenardier his costume for the last part, because Thenardier uses the nose-things that Gavroche showed Montparnasse how to make. Is this completely batty?
No, it's not. Though a cunning bastard like Thénardier might have known that already, and Gavroche might have picked it up from him, whereas Montparnasse could be newer to the trade. *shrugs*

On the contrary, I thought that according to Brujon, Thenardier doesn't really know the trade. So I presume that it would be Montparnasse helping Thenardier out, not vice versa.
Right, so Thénardier is incompetent in anything he does? I need to re-read the book... when there's time...

HOW DARE YOU PEOPLE FORGET THE CHANGER?

(And expect Montparnasse to share things with a bumbling galifard like the innkeeper?)

:x

Lalala, I came to this forum wayyy too late to actually contribute to this thread.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:09 pm

What happened to the Changer then? Any theories? :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:23 pm

I'd say he kept on keepin' on. He was referenced twice in the Book, but I don't think he ever had an actual scene...

*beats back repressed memories of "Cosette"*

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:13 pm

"Cosette"?
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:22 pm

One of two "sequels" by that name. I haven't read the other, but the Laura Kalpakian version was... frustrating. I read it about five years ago, but from what I remember she... okay, let's make a list:

-added random barricade boys who were dying of consumption and had strangely Indian-sounding names
-created another spy at the barricade who was one of the five that left with the Nat'l Guard uniforms
-had Valjean enter the barricade by threatening to kill Courfy or Combeferre or someone like that
-have Marius and Cosette... er... being rather handsy... in the garden
-had another urchin named "Starling" who was basically Gavroche Redux
-named Marius and Cosette's daughter Fantine, and had her getting random... services... from "Starling"
-had Cosette convince Marius to start a revolution part II, and had her join him at the new barricade
-described lots of MariusCosettesecks, which horrified me
-had Éponine's sister, "Zelma," return from Texas (?) to annoy Cosette... and yes, one of "Zelma"'s daughters was named "Éponine," of course
-called Marius's cousin "Theo"

And... there was a lot of stuff about the Changer, but I think it was a woman? Or something? I can't decide whether or not I want to buy it off eBay...

Return to “Brick Meta”