If Something Happened to Enjolras...

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

If Something Happened to Enjolras...

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Leslie got me thinking (partially for the sake of fanfiction) How would each ami (and Marius, Gavroche) respond if something bad happened to Enjolras?
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: If Something Happened to Enjolras...

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Depends on what the bad thing was, Em.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:05 pm

A couple scenarios borrowed from fanfiction:

1) Enjolras dies from an infection after the barricades.
2) Enjolras dies of tuberculosis
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Did they win?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

meow139

Postby meow139 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Okay, this is assuming all the other Amis lived after the barricade or whatever.

Grantaire would be devastated. Enjolras is the only thing he truly believed in, and he couldn't imagine a life without him, to the point of wanting to die with him. I think it's safe to say he would fall to pieces, maybe even turn suicidal, because what is a life without light, without belief in anything?

Combeferre would be similarly hurt, though not to such an extreme degree as Grantaire. He and Enjolras are close, and I could see him retreating into himself, wondering if he could have done something, feeling awful about it.

Courfeyrac and Enjolras are also close, so poor Courf would be really upset. He would likely cry a lot and really mourn, maybe even be a bit depressed, because Courfeyrac loves everyone so much, especially his friends, and to lose Enjolras like that would be a horrible blow for him.

Jehan would probably write a lot of reflective poetry, and would really think a lot about the reasons why. He would probably question a lot of what he believes about life and death, and would generally be very subdued and mournful for awhile.

Joly would feel rather awful, similar to Combeferre, about why he couldn't do anything to help Enjolras. He's a doctor, he should have been able to do something. He would probably question some of the medical practices (if any) used to help Enjolras and might even try, along with Combeferre, to change what is done in such cases in order to save others.

The others are harder for me, because Bahorel, Feuilly, Lesgles and Marius weren't particularly close to Enjolras from what I've seen. Sure they would be quite upset, but would they have any specific reaction? Not sure.

Gavroche, however, would be rather traumatized because he looks up to Enjolras and his death would be particularly hard for him.

Hope this helps, someone correct me if I made any mistakes.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Assuming that Enjolras dies of an illness or accident and not at the hands of the opposition:

Combeferre: would be hit hardest in the sense that he would have few outlets through which to vent the frustration and pain of his loss. He and Enjolras were very. I do question if he would have carried on down the path Enjolras had laid out for them. Without the leader, the guide might revert to showing others how the world could be, what wrongs must be writer etc without tossing himself into battle. I feel like be would be somewhat emotionally stunted by Enjolras's death and drop out of the barricade scene in order to work on the problems he wants to solve in the world more peaceably.

Grantaire: would drink himself to death. It is very clear that he was never meant to survive Enjolras. The obverse, without his complement, is incomplete. He would be one of those sad-ish little footnotes in a police report about some porter calling in the bulls to investigate the stinky, silent flat of a known drunkard, found dead through some freak accident or simply from alcohol poisoning. He would simply cease to attend meetings, and the Amis would probably not notice tbh until either someone mentioned it in passing or went to see him to find out where he's gone off to. I am undecided as to whether he would at first continue attending meetings because his friends are all important to him, and then would stop eventually or if he would avoid them all from the get-go because it would not be the same.

Courfeyrac: would have a very healthy period of grieving, inclusive alcohol and girls. He might use some medic books as targets for shooting practice or darts. He might take to carrying an umbrella (if Enjolras died of pneumonia).

Marius: would be like, "oh that's really sad. Was he ill? Once Cosette was ill...."

Bahorel: would get drunk and throw himself into a few brutal fistfights.

Bossuet: would probably say something like, "Well, at least he'll never have to worry about growing old."

Joly: would probably convince himself that he caught whatever Enjolras had and spend days fussing in the Musain while the others tried to convince him otherwise.

Jehan: would most definitely write a poem about Enjolras and do lots of thinking and comfort the others with his presence.

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 am

Those are similar to my thoughts :)

Combeferre: Would be very touched and in deep mourning, but not dispear- he would calmly pick up the pieces and lead the amis in a different style.

Courfeyrac: would openly mourn but in a healthy way.

Grantaire: drink himself worse than he has already.

Jehan: most certainly write reflective poetry!

Lesgle: try to find something positive but still be heartbroken "at least he is no longer in pain."

Gavroche: Poor little thing would be in deep mourning and shocked.

Joly: Feel guilty about it...

Marius: I think he would still feel sad, especially movie!Marius more so than brick!Marius.

Feuilly and Bahorel i'm not sure on :S

@Aurelia: in the TB one they won, but not in the infection one.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 am

Question: did everything go over my head, because from the book I got the impression that though Gavroche respected Enjolras, he really didn't like him very much. No? Am I crazy?

Honestly, I can see Gavroche being a little upset, but come on, he fought at the barricades in 1830, and he wasn't particularly close to Les Amis. He's seen leaders die before, and sure, he'd be sad, but in the streets he probably saw a lot of people die and attachment was dangerous. I mean, when his brothers go missing he just briefly wonders where they are. Maybe he'd be a bit sad, but he'd go back to running around Paris causing mayhem before long.

Grantaire would be destroyed. He'd be dead already, and the suicide would honestly just be a way of officiating it. He'd kill himself, in some stupid drunken feat, where he'd run in front of National Guardsmen, shouting about France and liberty and equality and Enjolras and death to the king. He'd be gunned down immediately, and if he wasn't he would try again. He would want to be killed that way.

Courfeyrac would be very open about it, and he'd talk about it and have a period of mourning, but not the drunken I-can't-live-without-him thing Grantaire had. The thing about having a chief, a guide, and a center is that a group can function with only two wheels. Not as well as with three, and there's definitely damage done, but it can still go on.

Combeferre would have no outlet for the natural emotions that come with death, and would end up sobbing to Courfeyrac one night in a fit because he'd tried to stay calm for so long. Eventually, he'd be alright and be prepared to guide Les Amis, but he'd be shaken, and I'm not sure him or Courfeyrac have the fire to send men to their deaths at a barricade, when Combeferre worked so hard at sending some home.

Joly would react in a similar way to Combeferre, but he'd have an outlet in the form of Bousset, who would make silly jokes about Enjolras, and with Musichetta they'd mourn. Him and Bousset would eventually be okay, I think.

Bahorel would punch something or someone.

Feuilly and Prouvaire would reflect deeply upon it and why. Prouvaire would probably sit in the corner with Grantaire for a couple of nights, wondering how such a thing could happen, and Feuilly would use it as further fuel to drive the revolution, perhaps even becoming a sort of replacement Enjolras. I always got that feeling from the Brick, that Feuilly was very well liked by Enjolras and that his fire and awesomeness and caring for the people would make him second choice to lead the revolution.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

meow139

Postby meow139 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 am

Really fascinating thoughts on Feuilly, Rachel. I do see the same fire and determination in Feuilly as in Enjolras, and I could definitely see him rise up as perhaps aa lighter version of Enjolras should Combeferre not be up to the job. Perhaps Feuilly would be a bit more realistic in his ideals, but he would make a very good leader, now that I consider it.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Interesting question. Here are my thoughts on how I think some of the Amis would react if the revolution failed but they survived and Enjolras later died from his wounds.
Grantaire---- I think he would be devastated and go deeper and deeper into drinking until he finally drank himself to death.
Joly-- I think he would feel guilty and blame himself for not being able to save his friend but that over time he would come to terms with it and go on with his life.
Combeferre -- similar to Joly except that he would take it a step further and try to figure out what he could have done differently to save his friends life.
Marius-- he would have been saddened at the death of his friend but would have focused more on his love for Cosette.
Gavroche-- he would have been devastated at first yet pick himself up and encourage the others to fight on in Enjolras' name.
Courfeyrac--- he would have grieved just as deeply as Grantaire but would have handled it in a better way.
Bahorel---he would have been sad and very angry. I think he might have gone out and beaten up the first monarchist he enountered on the streets.
Jehan --- like others have said I think he would have put his feelings into writing.
Feuilly---not really sure on this one. He would have been very sad but grieved in a healthy way.
Bousset-- not sure. Same as Feuilly.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Return to “Brick Meta”