Popular Fanon

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
MmeBahorel

Re: Popular Fanon

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri May 31, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks, Marianne! This is hugely helpful once I eventually get to that point :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:08 am

One I'm not sure is fanon or canon: I've noticed a lot of fics that give the Amis full names Courfeyrac has a "de" in his. That usually denotes a noble title, correct? I forget; was it in the book that he had one, like Marius, or is it fanon?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 am

I believe it was.

This is where he's introduced to the reader:
Courfeyrac had a father who was called M. de Courfeyrac. One of the false ideas of the bourgeoisie under the Restoration as regards aristocracy and the nobility was to believe in the particle. The particle, as every one knows, possesses no significance. But the bourgeois of the epoch of la Minerve estimated so highly that poor de, that they thought themselves bound to abdicate it. M. de Chauvelin had himself called M. Chauvelin; M. de Caumartin, M. Caumartin; M. de Constant de Robecque, Benjamin Constant; M. de Lafayette, M. Lafayette. Courfeyrac had not wished to remain behind the rest, and called himself plain Courfeyrac.

And then there's one other spot, too, where it's mentioned:
As he descended again at a run, the portress hailed him:--

"Monsieur de Courfeyrac!"

"What's your name, portress?"

The portress stood bewildered.

"Why, you know perfectly well, I'm the concierge; my name is Mother Veuvain."

"Well, if you call me Monsieur de Courfeyrac again, I shall call you Mother de Veuvain. Now speak, what's the matter? What do you want?"

So it seems like a bit of canon that's used a lot and changed or elaborated upon in fanon.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks a lot!
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 am

YoungStudentMarius wrote:
M. de Chauvelin had himself called M. Chauvelin;

Yeah, Chauvelin in the Scarlet Pimpernel would definitely not be going round calling himself de Chauvelin. Sorry, fandom crossover- I'll stop now :oops:
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 am

Rachelle wrote:
YoungStudentMarius wrote:
M. de Chauvelin had himself called M. Chauvelin;

Yeah, Chauvelin in the Scarlet Pimpernel would definitely not be going round calling himself de Chauvelin. Sorry, fandom crossover- I'll stop now :oops:

I though the same thing, Rachelle. :wink: He came first, too, date-wise!

And anytime, Picnob!
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 am

Also keep in mind that this is an era where there are essentially three sets of nobility - the Napoleonic, the traditional titled nobility (duc, marquis, etc - these were generally earned through force of arms), and the more recent ancien regime nobility (in Toulouse, these were generally connected with the courts and the Parlement and called the "nobility of the robe" - they were NOT looked on well by the old families, the "nobility of the sword"). The nobility of the robe are not the only type, but they're the major type of this, rather akin to the English baronet - one is granted nobility for services (or upon paying a large sum, or accompanying a government appointment) but without a title, merely the granting of the particle and the rank of noble (the particle being equivalent to "sir" and is inherited). Moreover, various others were permitted to append a name via a particle to their family name, usually the name of an estate. These are generally equivalent to the English gentry of the time: old families holding land for generations, where different branches are granted the opportunity to separate/differentiate themselves. Example: the Martin family has done damned well for themselves and has basically divided into two branches based on the major lands owned, one branch near the village of Lépaud and his cousin near the village of Gouzon. Upon petition to the king, M. Martin from Lépaud may be granted the right to call himself "M. Martin de Lépaud" as his whole surname. After a generation or two, the originally family name was frequently dropped, so you then had the related families of Martin (still in Gouzon) and de Lépaud. You'll see this movement described by Balzac in Eugénie Grandet - one of her suitors is going through this process.

This is entirely separate from the later movement where people with perfectly boring names like Dupont (literally "of the bridge", generally given to someone who lived near a bridge or was a bridge keeper) would space it out as "du Pont" merely in order to sound like they came from one of these great families. Degas' family did this - his father and brother were known as de Gas, but Edgar quit going along with their bullshit as soon as he was old enough to start signing things for himself. The actual famous du Pont family in the US is actually "Dupont de Nemours" - Mr Bridges from Nemours.

Courfeyrac is probably the son of a noble of the robe or equivalent - an ancestor bought himself in or was a judge in one of the major courts or something of that nature (could have been a royal appointment some generations back, but I think the two possibilities aforementioned more likely) - and is being very egalitarian. I suspect he would find a "de Gas" hilarious.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:41 am

*applauds Mme Bahorel and her endless supply of knowledge*

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 am

Isn't Jehan writing poetry on anything and everything (including people) popular fanon? I've seen more than five fics that have him doing this.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:47 am

Seconding that question, AJ, and also: are the flowers in his hair canon or not? I thought the fandom made them up, but a friend told me it actually says in the Brick that he had them.
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 am

Thank you very much, Mme Bahorel, that was really interesting and informative. :D

I think all it said was that he cultivated a potted plant, Mabz. To the best of my knowledge, flowers in his hair are definitely not canon. How fandom got that from a potted plant is beyond me. :wink:

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 am

He has flowers in the Brick, but not in his hair.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:54 am

Thanks, guys! *scribbles notes*
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 am

Does it ever say in the brick that Jehan a) has ridiculously long braided hair or b) looks very feminine or did the fandom just make those up?

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 am

I'm gonna go with fandom on this one, R.

Return to “Brick Meta”