Popular Fanon

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Popular Fanon

Postby freedomlover » Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Compile here a list of all that is popular in the fandom, but not directly stated in the book.

1) Enjolras is a law student
2) any Enjolras pairing
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Marianne

Re: Popular Fanon

Postby Marianne » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 pm

"Student" means law student unless stated otherwise--law and medicine were the only major degree-granting programs in Paris at the time, and medical students tend to be noted as such.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Éponine + Grantaire = BFFs

Montparnasse is a creepy.creepface.

Jehan has braids and flowers in his hair.

Grantaire sleeps around.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

meow139

Postby meow139 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:35 am

Rachel wrote:Grantaire sleeps around.

I'll never understand that part of fanon. Isn't Grantaire supposed to be god-ugly- ahem, severely unattractive?

I suppose that's just the result of young girls thinking that alcoholism has absolutely no physical ffects whatsoever and just makes you a tortured soul or something.

That said, I do think a fic that consists solely of Grantaire trying (and failing) to pick up women would be much appreciated. :D
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sat May 11, 2013 6:37 am

Not sure if this is exactly "fanon" since it outright contradicts canon, but I've noticed an alarming tendency for Azelma to be killed off. Usually by Thenardier or Montparnasse because they're eeevil, but of course before they get to Éponine she's saved by Marius/Enjolras/Amiral the dog. :P
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat May 11, 2013 6:43 am

Noticed that too. Argh.

Fanon I see:

-Courfeyrac never having to deal with the consequences of having such a collection
-Bossuet being accident prone
-Montparnasse as downright abusive, not just creepy.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Sat May 11, 2013 8:04 am

It could be realistic for Parnasse to be abusive, wouldn't it? I don't know, he was about to kill people, i believe his social morals are somehow questionable.
Aaaah, Jehan and his braids :evil: i might be considered guilty as i have written Jehan wearing a floral pattern once, but that's entirely different from making him a girly creature with no political views whatsoever (who even sits on the floor browsing through fashion magazines with Éponine and Cosette exclaiming "that would look stunning on you") excuse me but why do you abuse such a marvelous character?
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat May 11, 2013 3:47 pm

IBelieveInYou wrote:It could be realistic for Parnasse to be abusive, wouldn't it? I don't know, he was about to kill people, i believe his social morals are somehow questionable.
Aaaah, Jehan and his braids :evil: i might be considered guilty as i have written Jehan wearing a floral pattern once, but that's entirely different from making him a girly creature with no political views whatsoever (who even sits on the floor browsing through fashion magazines with Éponine and Cosette exclaiming "that would look stunning on you") excuse me but why do you abuse such a marvelous character?

But the thing about 'Parnasse is that he's a killer who fancies himself as a gentleman. He doesn't speak in argot, he kills to be well-dressed, etc. And his treatment of Éponine in the book is actually... really nice. At Rue Plumet, when she's trying to stop them, he warns her about cutting herself on his knife (granted, he does later threaten to cut her with it, so I think they cancel each other out). But I feel like 'Parnasse actually treats women very respectfully, and well, gentlemanlike. The thing about 'Parnasse that strikes me as strange is that besides the fact he's a killer and part of the most dangerous gang in Paris, he doesn't fail at being a gentlemen. Not at all.

But don't get me started on people who have him speak like he has a cockney accent in fics. THAT'S LIKE THE ENGLISH EQUIVALENT OF ARGOT, GUYS. IF HE HAD A COCKNEY ACCENT, HE WOULD MAKE A MAJOR EFFORT TO MAKE IT SOUND POSH.

But I hate this fandom's treatment of Cosette. She's either dismissed as "total airhead, blonde, pretty, nothing between the ears" or she's smart as hell but conniving, evil, and bitchy. I JUST WANT THE SYMBOL OF LIGHT AND HAPPINESS TO BE KIND, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Quotes to live by:

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat May 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Everything you said, Rachel! Especially about the characterization of Cosette. Good does not equate 'brainless' and 'brainy' does not equal being nasty. I wish I'd see more of slightly sassy and *clever* Cosette but with a characterization that takes into account the fact that she's basically innocent and that Valjean and the nuns raised her well.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Sat May 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh yes Rachel i see your point you are right, i hadn't thought it that way. Oh i hate stupid Cosette! i don't mind innocent Cosette at all, but she isn't stupid at all in the book, she just hasnt met many things which are given for other people, what with living with Valjean. As for bitchy Cosette, fortunately i havent seen that yet :shock:

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat May 11, 2013 5:42 pm

A steady parade of students was walking into the classroom, all of them squealing and hugging each other. No one noticed her, of course. Then, the entire room went quiet, and the MGHS royalty walked in. In the lead of course, was the essence of all that is evil, Cosette Fauchelevant, came strutting into class, her boyfriend Marius Potmercy's arm around her waist. The sight of her made Éponine's blood boil. Cosette was the sort of girl who pretended to be sweet and innocent in front of teachers, but to other girls, she was malicious. Regina George herself would have trembled at the sight of her. Her long, shiny, golden blond hair hung flawlessly down her back, her makeup perfect, her teeth straight and even. What really made Éponine mad, though, was the fact that gorgeous, smart, funny, sexy, perfect Marius Potmercy could never take his eyes off of her. They had been dating since freshman orientation, when their eyes had met across the room, and they had instantly fallen madly in love. It wasn't fair. She had liked, ok, obsessed over, Marius since the seventh grade, but after four years of doing his homework for him, he had never even looked up, except to say thanks for the assignment.

So now you've met evil Cosette.

Quotes to live by:

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Sat May 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Stop. My eyes are bleeding.
I am sorry, but apart from Cosette's characterization, was that Amanda Seyfried in mean girls or something?...

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 pm

IBelieveInYou wrote:Stop. My eyes are bleeding.
I am sorry, but apart from Cosette's characterization, was that Amanda Seyfried in mean girls or something?...

Nah, Rachel McAdams was the super evil one there. And the writer compares her with Cosette and says Cosette is MUCH more evil. Oh, for Christ's sake...

Quotes to live by:

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sat May 11, 2013 7:06 pm

evil Cosette? How???
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Jehans Rose

Postby Jehans Rose » Sun May 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Ugh! I thought that Enjolnine was bad enough-but compared to an evil Cosette, they're practically canon! :shock:
"They heard a manly voice cry out: 'Vive la France! Long Live the Future!'
There was a flash and an explosion."

Return to “Brick Meta”