Headcanons of Characters

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Headcanons of Characters

Postby freedomlover » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 am

Do you have an interesting head cannon of any character?
Last edited by freedomlover on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Gervais

Re: Headcannons of Characters

Postby Gervais » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 am

Psst--"canon." :wink:

Mine aren't too interesting as much as slightly strange. Like, I have no idea where I got the idea that Bahorel wears glasses at home, and refuses to wear them out.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

freedomlover

Re: Headcanons of Characters

Postby freedomlover » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 am

Your Bahorel almost sounds like Senator Charles Sumner from the 1850s... Actually now that I think of it, My Bahorel looks like a younger Sumner.

My Enjolras looks like a frailer Aaron Tveit.

My Jehan is tall and slender, but with short hair.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:14 am

I'm going to come right out right here, right now and say I am never, ever going to visit this thread. (After this post, of course.)

If anything at any point in my writing looks like something that ends up here as someone's "head canon," I didn't steal it from you. I refuse to look at head canon posts specifically for this reason.

:D Have fun, guys!
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 am

Some of mine (that was sort of cracky to begin with) has apparently already entered fanon, so I'm definitely staying out.

I'll just mention that Grantaire has a cousin who was in Paris for a few years and left in 1817 to come home and get married and start being marginally productive with his life. A cousin who got married when R was about 13 or so and R pitied the girl because who wants to be stuck with a husband who is bald and has a weeping eye?
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:19 am

I'll let on as far as this: Enjolras got his 'revolutionary' ideas at home, from his parents specifically. And he is in no danger of ever getting disowned.

This is of course in sheer defiance of some fanon tropes.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 am

I actually think he got his revolutionary ideas at home also in my canon.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:32 am

That's the only logical explanation for it. Otherwise why would his parents let him stay in Paris that long?

Unless Hugo muddled up the dates/ages again (as he sometimes does), we can estimate that Enjolras is 22 when he meets Marius. That was in about 1828. The barricades were in 1832. That would make Enjolras close to 26. Unless he was:

-extremely delayed in his classes
-already practicing a profession

....there are few logical explanations he can give to his parents about staying in Paris for so long. Unless they understood why he was staying there for such a long time to begin with.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 am

freedomlover wrote:I actually think he got his revolutionary ideas at home also in my canon.
Enjolras had a father who fought in the '89 Revolution and passed on the ideals of Liberty and such to his son.

My Cosette has a bit of an angsty side that she keeps locked in the darkest recesses of her mind. She cannot erase the psychological damage the Thénardiers had on her no matter how hard she tries to forget. Sometimes she can come off as a bit bitter in her thoughts compared to the sweet loving Cosette she shows the world.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 am

I second your headcanon on Cosette...

I have developed so many....

One is: Combeferre has close contacts with the Saint-Simonians.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am

Additional headcanon for Enjolras has him meeting members of the future Courgourde of Aix, back when they were all schoolboys. He was the one who went to Paris first.

And the first of the Amis to get to Paris was Feuilly.

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 am

I like that one Combeferre :D

My headcanon AU-survived Enjolras has tuberculosis.... the pallor and thinness, also multiple fanfics I have read.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Wed May 15, 2013 3:57 am

Grantaire's father died in a rebellion, and that is the reason for his drinking and cynicism. His obsession with Enjolras also stems from him being reminded of his father.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Interesting headcanon
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Jean Gringoire

Postby Jean Gringoire » Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 am

After Valjean's death, Cosette and Marius become philanthropists and advocates for the underprivileged in Paris.

Return to “Brick Meta”