Are Barricade Boy x female OC fics overdone?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
LadyEponine

Are Barricade Boy x female OC fics overdone?

Postby LadyEponine » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, because it seems like the only time this idea works is post revolution. Obviously, the barricade boy of choice has survived somehow and comes across a lovely woman and this spurs off their love story. Now, I'm in no way bashing this idea, mainly because my favorite fic of the moment is an Enjolras x female OC and it's perfect if anyone wants a link, but I digress.
However, if the fic is pre-revolution then isn't it a little predictable? A person can usually guess what will happen, the barricade boy of choice will die and really the only surprise is what happens to the OC. I guess what my question would be is are fics like these overdone? Unless someone has a knockout, unheard of idea, it isn't really anything new. Then there's the fics where the writer twists the final battle to where the barricade boy lives and that's a fine line to walk, because you can either do it really convincingly or not (eg. people thinking Enjolras could survive, what, eight bullets? It's nice to wish, but...). Like, at what point does it become just unrealistic?
(I'd like to think there is a point to this post, but I think I'm mostly just ranting like a mad woman.)
Maybe it's just one of those things where you have to just keep reading and get over it, because the E x OC fic I mentioned above is post revolution and even though Enjolras was somehow magically nursed back to health, the overall fic actually really well written and a good read. I think I'm beginning to contradict myself here, so I'm gonna go on that note.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on it? (Or better yet, a good Barricade Boy x OC fic. I devour those!)

Rachelle

Re: Are Barricade Boy x female OC fics overdone?

Postby Rachelle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm quite new to the fanfic scene and although I know the ships that are out there I'm not really sure which are overdone. I'm currently writing an E/OC fic though so I might be biased in favour of them. I've put the first chapter up in the fanfic folder.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

I would say that they aren't really overdone so much anymore, but that's probably because when they were, there was enough of a fandom backlash against Marie Suzettes (That's Les Mis Mary Sues) that they fell very much out of fashion. And Mis fandom has historically been a bit nitpicky with the fanficky (hehe, eat your heart out Jehan!)
Once upon a time, back when I was first into fandom, there was lots more of the Feuilly's Spitfire Sister, Javert's Rescuer, The Suspiciously Well Educated Tomboy Who Can Go Toe to Toe with Enjolras, etc. But I haven't really seen OC shipping fics much in a long time really.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Acaila wrote:I would say that they aren't really overdone so much anymore, but that's probably because when they were, there was enough of a fandom backlash against Marie Suzettes (That's Les Mis Mary Sues) that they fell very much out of fashion. And Mis fandom has historically been a bit nitpicky with the fanficky (hehe, eat your heart out Jehan!)
Once upon a time, back when I was first into fandom, there was lots more of the Feuilly's Spitfire Sister, Javert's Rescuer, The Suspiciously Well Educated Tomboy Who Can Go Toe to Toe with Enjolras, etc. But I haven't really seen OC shipping fics much in a long time really.

You have a very bad memory, you just read the start of one last night.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:44 pm

I wasn't counting that since you had already mentioned it ;)
Also, it's possible that it may just be where I read things nowadays. I think Archive of Our Own probably tends less to the OFC crowd as the audience tends to skew a bit more mature, and generally in fandom I've found the more mature writers tend to go down slashier routes.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Someone said it best a couple meta threads back, but there's the idea that if you're reading a Les Mis fic, you're probably reading it for Les Mis characters. If you want OC's, go read a book, right?

That said, I typically have no problem with an Ami/OFC pairing. Often they're fun and, you know, someone has to stroke their curls and make sure they eat breakfast. The point where I start to roll my eyes or feel like things are being abused is when the story in question is about the pairing.

Story about Feuilly joining the Amis, and he also happens to have an OFC mistress? Awesome! As long as the story is actually about Feuilly joining the Amis, and not just a story about Feuilly and his mistress. Story about Bahorel, Bossuet and Courfeyrac going fishing in the Seine but Bahorel and Courfeyrac both have original character mistresses who they talk about and are referenced every once in a while? A-okay! Those boys should have fine, young mistresses as they're fine, young men.

With the more recent influx of fic, I'm noticing more and more that writers are being pretty good about sticking to relationships between canon characters or at the very least sticking to a story focus that's about these canon characters and not the OCs. (Although in fandom of old, the Marie Suzette tended to be used as an ironic plot device in crack fic and less as an actual character you're supposed to be taking seriously.) So no, I wouldn't say they're overdone. Not at the moment anyway.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 am

Hmmm... I'm partly guilty as charged, when it comes to the OC, but...

I kind of disagree with if you want to read fanfiction, you only want to read about the characters themselves. I'd like to see characters in a new or extended setting (I said it before, retellings I think are usually not very interesting to me and if you go into much detail in a retelling, you're quickly down the extension or AU route anyhow...)

An OC in the Les Mis universe (but then again, that goes for any OC, fanficky or otherwise) needs to be well drafted and (hopefully) be kept out of the Mary-Sue department (actually, for the OC I introduced into the "City of glass" universe, I did take several Mary-Sue tests....)

I will confess that I am an outspoken friend of well done AUs or continuations (even though the latter ones are not so much use in Les Mis, everyone being dead...). This often gives the chance to see well-known characters in a new or different setting and create a story of ones own.
There, a number of OCs, even of love interests, is fine with me, but all in all, I usually go for stories and plot first, and for pairings kind of third. (Second would be good writing, then ;-) ). So give me a good story and you can have as many OCs as you want...

I have seen not so much done well, though, but that should not necessarily discourage people who write well to give it a try. It's much less absurd than in other fandoms; in les Miz it's at least mentionned that most of them do have lady friends.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:39 am

SpiritOfDawn wrote:I kind of disagree with if you want to read fanfiction, you only want to read about the characters themselves. I'd like to see characters in a new or extended setting (I said it before, retellings I think are usually not very interesting to me and if you go into much detail in a retelling, you're quickly down the extension or AU route anyhow...)

Mm, I think you misinterpret me. What I had meant was that if you're going to read a Les Mis fic, it should be somewhat related to Les Mis. I want my Les Mis fics to be about Les Mis characters, for example. Whether they're in a new world or not, doesn't matter (well, for personal preference it does, but for the sake of this argument, it doesn't) where you put them. But I want to read about Enjolras and Feuilly and Javert, etc. etc.

Not about Marie-Suzette and her adventures. I don't care about Marie-Suzette and her adventures.

I'm not in any way saying people read Les Mis fic because they just want to read Les Mis again.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:46 am

I use tons of OCs, male and female, and no one has ever complained. Why? Because they are used to create worlds for the canon characters to move in. Of course, I also have a whole series of Barricade Boy/OFC fic (that i still need to finish - Lesgle having hysterically bad sex is not that easy to write). But it's worldbuilding, and I work with the world, not just with the characters. That's a personal bias in my interests and thus in my writing.

If you want to see some older discussion of the role of women in LM fic, there's a couple of threads: Female characters in fic and Meta: The ladies, and there may be some relevant Enjolras/OFC discussion in Meta: Writing Enjolras, especially slash and romance. I don't want to end up repeating myself.

Not that I've been participating in fandom much since I'm trying to get some serious writing done and tend to avoid reading while I'm plotting for fear of accidental plagarism.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 am

Please don't kill me, but whenever I see "so and so/OC" I sort of go "ugh". My only justification is that I've spent seven years in the Harry Potter fandom, and there, pretty much whenever you see a fanfic with an OC in it, it's "ugh" worthy. I haven't really managed to escape that thinking on OCs as of yet.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

MmeBahorel wrote: Lesgle having hysterically bad sex is not that easy to write

Now that sounds like it would be fun to read! :lol:
Last edited by Acaila on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:00 am

I sing what madame bahorel says... and sorry for misunderstanding ;-)
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Oh dear...
At the moment I am particularly desperate.
I was searching for a few Mary Sue tests for my Harry Potter OC, though I have already taken some, and then I decided to do some research on Marie Suzettes, and maybe read some good examples. I found a terrifying story, you might have already stumbled upon it as it seems like a classic, and I wanted to cry my eyes out from the absurdity I read there.
And I guess that was the end of me writing fanfiction.
Because that character and the overall story terrified me so much, that I now hysterically see horrible cliches and OC traits in every single character I have ever written myself, in every single story of mine, maybe apart from a few Remus Lupin character centric ones, and I'm sure that I did a mistake in trying to write Misérables fanfiction, AU or not in first place.
God I just need to understand where to put a limit, because sometimes I really just write what I have in my mind, for myself and... ah I don't know if I make any sense.
But the possibility of abusing Éponine's character, or any of les Amis' has made me depressed.
I don't know if this is the right thread, but since we're talking of Barricade Boysxfemale OCs...
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Being a Mary Sue in original fiction doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Many main characters in really successful and often quite well written books are borderline Mary-Sues if you use the litmus test that is online. It's harder in fanfiction especially for les mis because all the original characters are so well crafted. Marie-Suzettes stand out a mile.
I'm quite happy though as I did the litmus test for my OC and she is currently still 8 points under borderline so I can afford to make her a bit nicer without too many problems.

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 pm

My Harry Potter OC turned out not to be a Mary Sue in the Litmus after all... However I'm still very very afraid for any attempt at the Misérables fanfiction. I wish there was an OOC test of some kind. Could a beta help? But what's for sure is that I'm not making an attempt to create any OC in that fandom... not in a million years.
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Return to “Brick Meta”