meta: the ladies

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Rachel

Re: meta: the ladies

Postby Rachel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 am

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Man Marius and Cosette's wedding night must've been awkward. Would either of them even know what to... do? Maybe that's why Hugo didn't describe it; too embarrassing. :wink:

I remember reading a fanfic about it, where Marius kind of knew what to do-ish and Cosette just had no idea so when Marius took his pants off she was just sort of like, "what is that?!" Somehow that seems accurate to me.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

meow139

Postby meow139 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Rachel wrote:
Majestic_Picnob wrote:Man Marius and Cosette's wedding night must've been awkward. Would either of them even know what to... do? Maybe that's why Hugo didn't describe it; too embarrassing. :wink:

I remember reading a fanfic about it, where Marius kind of knew what to do-ish and Cosette just had no idea so when Marius took his pants off she was just sort of like, "what is that?!" Somehow that seems accurate to me.

Oh god... now I just got about fifty plot-bunnies and I don't know what to do with them all help. :lol:

Also, thank you MmeBahorel! Fixed that!
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Cosette is really hard for me to write because I don't want to make her out to be a typical airhead the way some fan fictions do. I think she is sheltered and somewhat naive but definitely not stupid. I try to write her as a sweet girl who is a romantic at heart and has not let her unhappy childhood really affect her. She is kind, forgiving, and loves to read and write poetry.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:37 am

The interesting challenge I have with writing about Cosette: the fact that despite her being prim and proper, she's got a streak of an adventuress. I don't know what canon situations would bring it out, but I think she's got the capacity to be even braver than Marius.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm

I think Cosette is braver in the face of the unknown (even as a child when Valjean shows up, she prefers the unknown adventure to the horrible life she knows) and Marius has courage in the face of the known (near-certain death on the barricade, deliberately chosen poverty and lack of family). That's why Cosette is the adventurer of the pair. And probably why Marius's stalkery ways don't bug her too much.

Fantine meta- I've had His Dark Materials and Eve on the brain lately and was looking at Fantine as a sort of felix culpa figure (appropriate in a book with such a strong sense of providence). Like Thenardier's evil actually results in a happy ending, Fantine's fall creates the situation in which Valjean's learning to love and completing his redemption are possible. If you peg her "fall" as the fall into poverty and prostitution, then in a sense Valjean is ironically redeemed by the consequences of his own sin (in firing her); if you peg it as trusting Tholomyes, then Cosette's existence (given the role she will play) is the good consequence. Which makes Fantine even more of a Madonna figure- her child is a savior!
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm

between4walls wrote:Fantine meta- I've had His Dark Materials and Eve on the brain lately and was looking at Fantine as a sort of felix culpa figure (appropriate in a book with such a strong sense of providence). Like Thenardier's evil actually results in a happy ending, Fantine's fall creates the situation in which Valjean's learning to love and completing his redemption are possible. If you peg her "fall" as the fall into poverty and prostitution, then in a sense Valjean is ironically redeemed by the consequences of his own sin (in firing her); if you peg it as trusting Tholomyes, then Cosette's existence (given the role she will play) is the good consequence. Which makes Fantine even more of a Madonna figure- her child is a savior!

Plus you've got all the Christmas, poor child at the inn symbolism with Cosette to back that up! :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:41 am

I didn't even notice that! And the Joseph figure, of course.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Return to “Brick Meta”