Grantaire as Danton?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Maria Combeferre

Grantaire as Danton?

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:24 pm

I just had the most startling idea!

We all know how Hugo keeps comparing Enjolras to Saint Just and how Combeferre is supposedly based on Camille Desmoulins. In the same way I have heard it mentioned, albeit less loudly and firmly, that Courfeyrac has a similar relationship with Danton. I have also encountered the idea that, because of his science and frequent illnesses (whether they are real or just imagined), Joly is playing the role of Marat. This is of course all a question of politics and personalities rather than relationships

But then I started thinking: what about Grantaire? If Enjolras is Saint Just, Combeferre Desmoulins, Courfeyrac Danton, Bahorel and Prouvaire Les Bouzingos, Joly Marat, and L'Aigles hometown was a starting place for the French reformation (the first New Testament in French was printed there and the Bishop, even though he recanted when threatened with torture and death, was an important leader for the protestants), then who does Feuilly and Grantaire symbolize? Feuilly I'm still not sure about, maybe he's supposed to be one or all of the foreign revolutionary movements.

But Grantaire:
He's ugly, obnoxious but well meaning, a libertine and a cynic, well educated, knows his way around the cafe's, is grounded in the ABC but is as familiar with other groups, talks and drinks A LOT, doesn't get along very well with Enjolras and only joins the revolution at the very last moment.

Danton's most famous qualities (at least in retrospect) seems to have been his ugliness, his speeches and his passions. He also wasn't impressed by Camille's talk of revolution (or politics at all, really) until it was already happening. He absolutely refused to be told by anyone what to say or do. His relationship with Robespierre was not exactly fluffy and when it came to Saint Just, well...

To me that sound a lot more like Grantaire than Courfeyrac, but then who would he be? *frown*

What do think? Will it pass?
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

morgan le fay

Re: Grantaire as Danton?

Postby morgan le fay » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:23 pm

I think Combeferre was meant to be compared to the Marquis de Condorcet? I don't quite think he represents Desmoulins to be honest; nor do I think each Ami has a first revolution equivalent.

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:14 pm

If anything, I see Prouvaire as Desmoulins' equivalent--it's not a perfect comparison, by any means, but he does seem to fit it a bit better than Combeferre does.

morgan le fay

Postby morgan le fay » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 pm

I agree; Prouvaire has the more emotional aspect to him that Combeferre doesn't.

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Grantaire I can see as Danton-- and, although I know he's based off of Saint-Just, Enjolras reminds me more of Robespierre. Don't shoot me! It's just-- he's less power-hungry and much less concered with his appearence, but the rest is all there. The distance from women, the always being sort of... cool, commanding, and not to mention the fact his speeches could convince men to follow him to Hades and back. Maybe I'm not as well-aquanited with the personalities of either Enjolras or Robespierre, but that's what I think...
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm

No, I also feel Enjolras reminds me more of Robespierre than Saint-Just, it's just that Saint-Just is the one Hugo himself likens him to. Since we touched the topic, I might ad that that is the only outspoken parallel that appears in the brick; the rest are merely our own interpretations.
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Return to “Brick Meta”