Éponine is everywhere...

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Majestic_Picnob

Éponine is everywhere...

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:16 am

So, one day I happened to find myself browsing Google for Eponine-related things for my own little reasons, and imagine my surprise when not everything that resulted from the search directly related to Les Mis! For one thing, it would appear that someone wrote a song about everyone's favorite street-smart stalker chick. Going by what lyrics I saw, it appeared to be a fairly generic love ballad, nothing special. So then I dig deeper (this may actually have been a separate Google trawl, I can't really remember) and I find, what the heck, someone wrote a short one-act play about her, too! It's apparently just Éponine and Marius (or at least people named Éponine and Marius) chatting on a park bench. I didn't read the plot, but I got the distinct impression that mutual psychoanalytic Breakfast Club shenanigans ensue.

So, yeah, I'm guessing these kind of miss the point of her character, but I think it's nice to have some pop-culture recognition for our girl. Usually you hear about Javert and Valjean, and Cosette due to the logo and Gavroche usually only in France, but with Éponine you might get a reference to her hat and that's about it. It's good to know at least two people like her enough to be inspired by her.

Has anyone here heard of either of these things?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Never_Seek_to_Tell

Re: Éponine is everywhere...

Postby Never_Seek_to_Tell » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 am

I think I know of the song you mention...is it by Ozma? Because if so, it's not a bad song...not really on the character on every level, but it's interesting...

As for the playlet thing...I'd like to see that...

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:53 pm

I just looked it up; Ozma it is!
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Never_Seek_to_Tell

Postby Never_Seek_to_Tell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Seems everyone's favorite mad urchin waif is even more pervasive than we thought (granted, these examples might not ALL be named for the character, since she didn't exactly start the name, but in modern times, it's a likely answer.)

Here's some info on the two-person one-act play Majestic_Picnob mentioned. The Éponine character IS a homeless girl, but otherwise the show seems fairly contemporary.

The crazy girl's name ALSO is attached to a style of Paul Smith sunglasses.

Then there's a small film production company. And a DNA scanner application.

The sheer number of places and ideas the name gets left around...bit wacky, huh?

Return to “Brick Meta”