Songs that make you think of characters?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
carotid

Songs that make you think of characters?

Postby carotid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:02 am

I gave in to the 8tracks shiny today and threw up an Enjolras fanmix. It all started when, after having had my fandom obsession reignited, I heard Gavin Mikhail's cover of "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" and am now unable to hear that song without thinking of "Orestes Fasting and Pylades Drunk."

Does anyone else have any songs (other than those from the musical, of course) that make them think of any particular characters or scenes? Divulging completely inappropriate songs that have developed unfortunate associations is enthusiastically encouraged.

"Anthem" has always been my big one for Enjolras. Regarding things not on my list above, "Alcohol" by BNL always makes me think of Grantaire.

(I wasn't sure whether this was more appropriate for here or in the Music forum, but as the latter seemed more centered on contributions and this subforum had other character-association queries, I decided upon here, since the intention is more toward opinions and thinky-thoughts rather than musical content. Let me know if I should move it, though!)
Look, Louis-Philippe, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but the Republic had the best French government of all time. OF ALL TIME.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Songs that make you think of characters?

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:25 am

(I've moved it for you; it's more of a Brick meta than anything else. ;))

Um. I have Enjolras/Grantaire and Enjolras/Combeferre playlists in my iTunes, but when I moved to my current computer all my iTunes playlists were wiped.

Crüxshadows' "Winter Born (This Sacrifice)" has always reminded me of Enjolras, however -- that might've been Marianne's fault, actually, but it's been awhile. :lol:

And there's always the Pet Shop Boys' "You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk" which I used to think of as the shipper's theme song for Enjolras/Grantaire.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

carotid

Postby carotid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 am

(Thanks! Still learning the ropes here.)

I am extremely saddened by that loss! I might have to begin to construct lists of those themes of my own...

I'm going to have to give those songs a listen now. I know that I have the Cruxshadows one, but it's been a while since it came up in my library shuffle. And man, I was just going on a Pet Shop Boys kick today, this is like fate.
Look, Louis-Philippe, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but the Republic had the best French government of all time. OF ALL TIME.

carotid

Postby carotid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 am

And then I went and did one for Grantaire, too. This is getting to be a bad habit.

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 pm

I started making my own playlist a while back and haven't gotten very far. This is what I was thinking:

Enjolras: "The Impossible Dream" - The Man From La Mancha
Seriously, this couldn't be more Enjolras if Jehan had sat down and written it for him! Plus Michael Maguire made an absolutely awesome recording of it :wink:

Combeferre: "Blowing In the Wind" - Bob Dylan
At first I was thinking of Enjolras, but then I got to the anti-war part realized this would be 'Ferre's signature tune

Jehan: "I've Written You A Lovesong" - Zarah Leander
Mainly just because of the utterly romantic titel. But I think perhaps a better fit would be something that seems sweet and harmless but that's actually not that innocent at all

R: "Somehing To Believe In" - Bon Jovi
Well...really. Do I have to say more?

Musichetta: "Dr Love" -
Just because :D

And I so want to fit Bono's "Children of the Revolution" in somewhere, but I can't quite decide where. Bahorel, perhaps.
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

carotid

Postby carotid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Maria Combeferre wrote:Enjolras: "The Impossible Dream" - The Man From La Mancha
Seriously, this couldn't be more Enjolras if Jehan had sat down and written it for him! Plus Michael Maguire made an absolutely awesome recording of it :wink:

I had no idea that MM had a recording of this! Now I am excited.

Maria Combeferre wrote:Combeferre: "Blowing In the Wind" - Bob Dylan
At first I was thinking of Enjolras, but then I got to the anti-war part realized this would be 'Ferre's signature tune

This is so hilarious -- I started putting together a Combeferre playlist for myself last night and my thought process was exactly: "Oh! 'Blowing In the Wind'! ....but...... hippies.... ...but how many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free?!" Add a Mad Scientist-esque gesture for the end of that and you'll have a pretty accurate reenactment.

I'll need to check out those last songs you mentioned, which I've never heard!

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm

carotid wrote: Maria Combeferre wrote:Enjolras: "The Impossible Dream" - The Man From La Mancha

I had no idea that MM had a recording of this! Now I am excited.

Yes, I found it over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_wz_FNR3Sw It's amazing!

Maria Combeferre wrote:This is so hilarious -- I started putting together a Combeferre playlist for myself last night and my thought process was exactly: "Oh! 'Blowing In the Wind'! ....but...... hippies.... ...but how many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free?!" Add a Mad Scientist-esque gesture for the end of that and you'll have a pretty accurate reenactment.

Hihi :lol: That is priceless! Oh, speaking of hippies and Combeferre, have you seen Despards drawing of Pacisfist Combeferre? It's gorgeous, Combeferre in a 19th century outfit with psychedelic patterns and colors and a peace pendant.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Blowing in the Wind is the perfect Combeferre song! And it's one of my favourites too, but that's irrelevant. :)

I thought "Imagine" by John Lennon was another good Combeferre one. The first verse, about there being no religion, I thought would be more of a Grantaire perspective. Combeferre's more of a deist than anything - fundamentally believes in God, but not in "religion" per say. But the rest of it is pure Combeferre.

And about a few songs from "Yentl" are good for Éponine. "No Wonder parts 1 & 2", "I Like The Way I Feel" - pure Éponine.

And "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" by U2 - I'm getting a strong barricade vibe there too. But maybe that's just me....

DarthxEponine

Postby DarthxEponine » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:05 am

"In His Eyes" from Jekyll and Hyde reminds me of Cosette and Éponine. Of course, Emma being Cosette and Lucy being Éponine.

"Falcon in the Dive" from Scarlet Pimpernel is SUCH a Javert song it's not even funny. Although maybe that's partially due to the fact that Terrance Mann sings it. XD

"One Day I'll Fly Away" from Moulin Rouge..... Éponine. Sort of.

"I See the Light" from Tangled has recently reminded me of Marius and Cosette,

and "Torn Apart" from Notre Dame de Paris oddly reminds me of Marius. XD That's more spoofy though, since Marius only has a heart for Cosette. Still...
Someday I'll find my very own Marius... :D

carotid

Postby carotid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:03 am

Maria Combeferre wrote:Oh, speaking of hippies and Combeferre, have you seen Despards drawing of Pacisfist Combeferre? It's gorgeous, Combeferre in a 19th century outfit with psychedelic patterns and colors and a peace pendant.

Yes -- my goodness, I was in stitches at that picture. And thank you for that Michael Maguire link -- mmm, simply lovely.

Speaking of Combeferre, I threw together a playlist for him as well. (My organizational compulsions also finally got the best of me, and I actually typed up the track listings for all of the playlists I have uploaded to 8tracks thus far.)

...the positive obstacle with 8tracks is that you can't have more than two tracks by the same artist per playlist, so I can't be tempted into having a Jehan playlist that's just half John Denver.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 pm

This is going to sound really weird, but...

Elton John's "Crocodile Rock" for Courfeyrac. Courfeyrac strikes me as a carefree guy who likes a good time, and this song is all about that (though it has a melancholy aspect to it, too, that doesn't really fit him).
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:21 am

My Courfeyrac song is Plain White T's "Rhythm of Love." :D

And the song I most often associate with the amis in general is "Revolution" by Trading Yesterday. I love that song.

Classically speaking, I tend to associate Edward Elgar's "Nimrod" with Jehan. But I'm unsure why.
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:06 pm

So I thought I'd post my somewhat revised playlist:

Les Amis de l'ABC: "Children of the Revolution" - Bono
Because seriously...

Enjolras: "The Impossible Dream" - The Man From La Mancha
This couldn't be more Enjolras if Jehan had sat down and written it for him! Plus Michael Maguire made an absolutely awesome recording of it :wink:

Combeferre: "Blowing In the Wind" - Bob Dylan

Courfeyrac: "Love's Been Good To Me" - Frank Sinatra/"Book of Love" - The Monotones
The lyrics for the first one are bloody spot on, but the tune is so reminiscent, almost melancholy, and I can not quite picture this guy having a theme that isn't ridiculously cheery. Then I heard the other one and couldn't help grinning like a fool and thinking of Courfeyrac.

Jehan: "Venus" - Frankie Avalon
I figured the poet ought to have something diabetes-inducingly-sweet, and remembering that debate they had on religion when Marius first sat foot at the Musain, this seemed perfectly brilliant. He would so wright something like this.

Bahorel:"Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" - Frank Sinatra
Because it's cheery, and he's trouble and, and....

Joly: "Fever" - Peggy Lee
Well, if everything else seems to make him sick... :D

L'Aigle: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" - B J Thomas
Do I really have to explain :D

Feuilly: "Badlands" - Bruce Springsteen
The struggle in the song and in Feuilly's life might not be exactly the same, but the theme is the same. Plus, there are so many sections that really do fit so perfectly.

Grantaire: "Heaven On Their Minds" - Jesus Christ Superstar
Seriously, have you tried watching the 2000 DVD of that show shortly after TAC? It horrible! All you can see is Courfeyrac running around some Enjolras (though the things he says are more Combeferre than Enjolras, but still) and acting exactly like Grantaire. It was one of the most distracted experiences I've had in some time.

Marius: "Wolverton Mountain" - Claude King
The overprotecting father in the song almost makes Valjean look normal. But only almost.

Cosette: "Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty
Well, I...I. Can't remember exactly what was going on in my head, except it was half an hour past midnight I had a fever. Seemed right at the time, and it's still not looking wrong, I just don't remember exactly what... Something about secret lover you know absolutely nothing about materializing among the trees. 'Cept Cosette isn't dreamy enough to be a Disney princess.

Musichetta: "Dr Love"
I just had to :D

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Except for some minor lines, the ultimate song that always makes me think of Javert is "Every Breath You Take" by...The Police! :D
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:22 pm

The first time I heard Children of the Revolution I thought of Les Amis and my sister regretted ever showing it to me because I played it over, and over, and over.

I think of Fantine when I hear Complainte de la Butte.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Return to “Brick Meta”