Songs that make you think of characters?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
HotblackDesiato

Re: Songs that make you think of characters?

Postby HotblackDesiato » Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Take me to Church is pretty much the ultimate ExR song, especially the lines,
If the heavens ever did speak, she's the last true mouthpiece.

and
if I'm a pagan of the good times, my lover is the sunlight. To keep the goddess on my side, she demands a sacrifice.

Sedated, by the same artist, is about addiction, and one of the best lines is,
Free and young and we can feel none of it.

Also, Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, Waterloo Sunset for Marius/Cosette and The Great Gig in the Sky, from Dark Side of the Moon, which basically captures all my feels in one neat 3-minute package.

HotblackDesiato

Postby HotblackDesiato » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 pm

I'm fond of "Sedated" for Éponine and Montparnasse (not in a shippy way, just in general), as well as "Downmarket" by the Blades for the effects of poverty (sample lyrics: "It's a fatal resignation, when there's nothing left to hope for, in a hopeless situation—I'm not waiting at an airport, I'm not waiting at a station—I'm standing at a bus stop."). Two songs for crackier, looser playlists would be Psycho Killer by Talking Heads (for the sole virtue that it's partially in French) or Fight Me at Mass by the Rubberbandits (sample lyrics: "Fight me at Mass, I won't take it outside, I'll kick you in the teeth with Christ by my side") for the Christian themes—as far as I remember France was mainly Catholic at the time. A quick look at Spotify reveals "Sweet Thing" by David Bowie, from Diamond Dogs, for Fantine (For the full shebang you really need to listen to the next song, then the reprise afterwards: some of the songs on the album were intended for a musical based on 1984 which never got off the ground: that should give you some idea of content, but I should probably stick in a drugs tw and disturbing imagery tw), Pucker by The Hard Ground for Éponine and What Difference Does it Make by The Smiths for Valjean.

HotblackDesiato

Postby HotblackDesiato » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Oh! And Hurricane Drunk by Florence + the Machine, for R.

CourfeyracNroll

Postby CourfeyracNroll » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:31 pm

I feel like Joly would like "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz.
(Especially the line "checking my tongue in the mirror" haha)

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:48 am

Acaila wrote:So, I was thinking this weekend that The Internationale totally makes me think of Feuilly
English version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTbashsKic
French version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POH14-HMGFc

.And then, the last verse just seems very much in line with "VIVENT LES PEUPLES" as his effective last words.

The Internationale and Feuilly, yes. Inscribing "LONG LIVE THE MASSES" in one translation. Somewhere I read that the Int. is the most soul-stirring tune ever written and though I don't know about that, it certainly is soul-stirring even without the Russian-patriotic words. Here it is being sung by actual Russians and illustrated with Soviet posters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CosVkbSl1U getting off topic here a bit, sorry.
Last edited by CC21106 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 pm

This thread is really wonderful!!! I'm sure on countless occasions I've internally screamed "OMG this song sounds so like [insert LM character]" while listening to completely irrelevant songs. But unfortunately I can't remember all of them. Will add more when my memory comes back to me.

I know it's been mentioned before but I can't *not* bring it up again: Falcon in the Dive and Javert. But in fact my mind has a very strange way of processing the Chauvelin-Javert similarity. Falcon always reminds me of Javert but Stars doesn't sound Chauvelin at all. And though Falcon has some Javert-ness in it I can't really imagine Javert singing it. On the other hand, I can totally picture book-Courfeyrac singing almost every Percy song! So here's my solution to my favorite ami's quasi-nonexistence in the musical: I'll go and watch Scarlet Pimpernel. :mrgreen:

Another musical that always (strangely) reminds me of Les Mis is The Secret Garden. Try to imagine Cosette = Mary or Colin depending on song; Valjean = Archie; Fantine = Lily. And now listen to "A girl in the valley", "A bit of Earth", "Race you to the top of the morning", "Lift me up", "Come to my garden", etc...gosh all the feeeeels... <3 <3
(Off-topic, but if you happen to be a Harry Potter fan, you must listen to "Lily's eyes"! Haha I know you're already gaping at the title, aren't you? :wink: )

I had been a fan of rock n' roll music long before I knew Les Mis, but ever since I read the brick I can never listen to my favorite bands the same way as before. A lot of songs (I really mean a lot and I don't even bother to count or make a list) make me think of Grantaire, probably due to his alcoholism and cynicism. I'm pretty sure R is secretly a legendary rock star in another universe. 8)
Revolution, but civilization

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:10 pm

"I'm Not That Girl" from Wicked would be a perfect Éponine song (heck, you could swap it out for "On My Own" and it would make all the same points, LOL):

Hands touch, eyes meet
Sudden silence, sudden heat
Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
He could be that boy
But I'm not that girl

Don't dream too far
Don't lose sight of who you are
Don't remember that rush of joy
He could be that boy
I'm not that girl

Ev'ry so often we long to steal
To the land of what-might-have-been
But that doesn't soften the ache we feel
When reality sets back in

Blithe smile, lithe limb
She who's winsome, she wins him
Gold hair with a gentle curl
That's the girl he chose
And Heaven knows
I'm not that girl

Don't wish, don't start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn't born for the rose and the pearl
There's a girl I know
He loves her so
I'm not that girl...

----------------------

Another Éponine song, just for the title: "I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight" (I'm sorry, that's bad of me, I know!)

Postby 23623 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:45 am

...except that Elphaba does turn out to be that girl! :mrgreen:
Which remains a forever mystery to me. Just why Fiyero loves her I really have no idea.

But yeah taking it at face value, this song totally fits Éponine. How come I haven't thought of this before?! :shock:

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 pm

LOL, I haven't seen "Wicked," so I had no clue! I just heard that song on Sirius XM "On Broadway" and immediately thought "Éponine!" :)

Postby 23623 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:23 am

Lol, sorry for the spoiler then, Ursula.

Was directing the Javert suicide scene (in my head only, of course :mrgreen: ) for the new BBC adaptation just now and wondered for a while if there has been any Les Mis version of "Dumb Ways to Die". :lol: If not...we should totally make one. :lol:

Sorry for the bad joke which probably only amuses me, but can't help. :lol:

Random: DAMN. I didn't know "adaptation" is a word until today even though it's just there written in the section descriptions.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm

I really think The Parting Glass (Especially the Wailin' Jennys version) can be applied to Les Amis as a group. Here are the lyrics for those unfamiliar with the song:

Oh all the money that e'er I spent
I spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas, it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Oh all the comrades that e'er I've had
Are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I've had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call

The second verse fits so well with Marius, especially the lines:
"But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not"

Kind of makes me weepy just thinking about it, because I absolutely adore that song. Have a listen to it if you haven't already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4egb2gpIg4
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Return to “Brick Meta”