Marius Pushing Cosette against the wall

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
MissPontmercy

Marius Pushing Cosette against the wall

Postby MissPontmercy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:49 am

Quick question.

Can anyone describe to me a situation to fit around this one.

When Valjean notices that Cosette has something white on her back (page 1011, Signet Classics) he exclaims: "'Why you have something white on your back!' The evening before, Marius in transport, had pressed Cosette against the wall."

They don't kiss. Why would he do that? Were they twirling or something? Haha. (It does bug me when movie makers make them kiss more than just their 2 times. It ruins their awkwardness)

And also, how does an angel carry its lily?

This is just casual... I'm not trying to accuse Hugo of writing something strange/suggesting that Marius and Cosette were getting funky in their garden. I've just tried to imagine what situation had taken place, and wonder if anyone else had. I bet it's cute.
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614809/Wendla_Bergmann

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Marius Pushing Cosette against the wall

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:38 am

Er, getting caught up in the moment does weird things to you.

To use a personal anecdote that is similar but not quite -- I met a guy friend once in his hotel room and we started kissing. In our, uh, exuberance we somehow went from door to the floor by the TV, and I still don't remember how.

Anything can happen when blinded by love (or, uh, lust), and it's possible that Marius and Cosette were standing by the wall, perhaps to stay out of sight as much as possible, and Marius got so excited that he wanted to embrace her or something, but pulled back/pushed her away so that instead he just, I dunno, took her by the shoulders?

It's not one of those things I ever thought about much because, again, love and being caught up in the moment get you doing stuff that you later don't remember doing, or how you got to doing it.

Incidentally, why not stop by the Intro board and tell us a bit about yourself. :) Obviously you have plenty to say, so not knowing what to say in your intro would certainly not apply here....
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

RoseDesEnfers

Postby RoseDesEnfers » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:25 am

I had some fun picturing this as well :) Like MmeJavert said, I just pictured a moment of passion taking over, and in their excitement they find themselves in a rather lustful position... but being Marius and Cosette, I see them probably blushing and stepping apart. It'd be an adorable scene to shoot in a movie.

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:20 am

Aww it would. I can definitely see it that way... but it's so awkward to get there without ANY kissing, you know? However... they are no strangers to awkwardness...
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614809/Wendla_Bergmann

Potato112

Postby Potato112 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Aw, that must've been adorable! I think it was just Marius not being able to control himself! :mrgreen:

Return to “Brick Meta”