...Vamparius

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Hannah

...Vamparius

Postby Hannah » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:02 pm

So, you may or may not have seen the "Marius Pontmercy: Worst Vampire Ever" drawing I did, but.. Well, long story short some months ago I was struck by the realization that he totally only 1. wears black and 2. goes out at night, among other things (being deathly pale!) And... well.
Ladies and gentlehumans, I present to you (for your consideration!!!) the evidence that Frédérique and myself have painstakingly compiled that Marius Pontmercy is a goddamn vampire:

Gillenormand on Marius:
*"You will send sixty pistoles every six months to that blood-drinker, and you will never mention his name to me."
*"Let me never hear the name of that blood-drinker again!"
*"He is dead! He is dead! He is dead! He has got himself killed on the barricades! Out of hatred to me! He did that to spite me! Ah! You blood-drinker! This is the way he returns to me! Misery of my life, he is dead!"

Marius's love letter (contents):
*"There is one strange thing, do you know it? I dwell in the night. There is a being who carried off my sky when she went away."
*"Oh! would that we were lying side by side in the same grave, hand in hand, and from time to time, in the darkness, gently caressing a finger,—that would suffice for my eternity!"

Marius's love letter (description):
"[...] an appointment made beyond the bounds of earth, the love-letter of a phantom to a shade."

Cosette's reaction:
*"Flashes of pallor passed over her countenance, and shivers ran through her frame."
*"Cosette, though ready to swoon, uttered no cry. She retreated slowly, for she felt herself attracted. He did not stir. By virtue of something ineffable and melancholy which enveloped him, she felt the look in his eyes which she could not see."
*"He possessed her smile, her breath, her perfume, the profound radiance of her blue eyes, the sweetness of her skin when he touched her hand, the charming mark which she had on her neck, all her thoughts."

...General Mariusness:
*"He appeared to have grown thin and pale. His black clothes were hardly discernible. The twilight threw a wan light on his fine brow, and covered his eyes in shadows. Beneath a veil of incomparable sweetness, he had something about him that suggested death and night. His face was illuminated by the light of the dying day, and by the thought of a soul that is taking flight. He seemed to be not yet a ghost, and he was no longer a man."
*"Marius, let us insist on this point, was under the shadow of the great, dark wings which are spread over those in the death agony. He felt that he had entered the tomb, it seemed to him that he was already on the other side of the wall, and he no longer beheld the faces of the living except with the eyes of one dead."
*"A sort of voluntary night had obscured his eyes."
*"At the same time, he became more truly serious, more truly grave, more sure of his thought and his faith. At each instant, gleams of the true came to complete his reason."
*"Only he grew colder and colder; laconic at meals, and rare in the house."
*"They thought they had noticed that he wore something on his breast, under his shirt, which was attached to his neck by a black ribbon."
*"He was still in mourning for his father when the revolution which we have just described was effected within him. From that time forth, he had not put off his black garments. But this coat was green. Then Marius ceased to go out until after nightfall. This made his coat black. As he wished always to appear in mourning, he clothed himself with the night."

SO. What are all of ya'll's thoughts. Y/N/MFY/shut up Hannah no one cares/other? Does anyone else have any bits from the text which are vampire-y? Thoughts as to why Marius is described in such deathly terms ALL OF THE TIME (what is up with that) (besides him being a vampire of course)? Please do share 8D

Ulkis

Re: ...Vamparius

Postby Ulkis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:53 am

Thoughts as to why Marius is described in such deathly terms ALL OF THE TIME (what is up with that)

Seriously, I think it's supposed to emphasize his delicateness. In non-seriousness, he is totally a Vampire of the Night. More evidence? Gillenormand said he used to lisp, and we all know vamps lisp when they've got their fangs out dude.

Knitterlywitch

Postby Knitterlywitch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:56 am

As long as he doesn't sparkle, I am fine with Marius being a vampire... actually, since Cosette reminds me a little of Bella (not a lot, but enough), maybe he should sparkle.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 am

@Knitterlywitch: There is a great line when he comes home to ask Gillenormand if he can marry Cosette where.. well let me get it...

"His almost squalid attire was not perceptible in the obscurity caused by the shade. Nothing could be seen but his calm, grave, but strangely sad face. [...] It was several minutes before Father Gillenormand, dulled with amazement and joy, could see anything except a brightness as when one is in the presence of an apparition. He was on the point of swooning; he saw Marius through a dazzling light."

:D ??? haha

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:34 am

Hannah wrote:@Knitterlywitch: There is a great line when he comes home to ask Gillenormand if he can marry Cosette where.. well let me get it...

"His almost squalid attire was not perceptible in the obscurity caused by the shade. Nothing could be seen but his calm, grave, but strangely sad face. [...] It was several minutes before Father Gillenormand, dulled with amazement and joy, could see anything except a brightness as when one is in the presence of an apparition. He was on the point of swooning; he saw Marius through a dazzling light."

Can I just say right now that I love you all?
I'm only wondering...who would turn little Marius into a vampire?
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Knitterlywitch

Postby Knitterlywitch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:37 am

Hannah wrote:@Knitterlywitch: There is a great line when he comes home to ask Gillenormand if he can marry Cosette where.. well let me get it...

Maybe he was Carlisle in disguise?

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:38 am

I'm only wondering...who would turn little Marius into a vampire?

Marius is supposed to be good-looking, right? Maybe there was just some vamp who was feeling particularly shallow.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:40 am

Frédérique and I think it was his father (who Gillenormand calls "the slasher"), who was in turned turned BY NAPOLEON. 8|

Also, I love you all too <3

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 am

Noooooo clearly it was one of the people in those aristocratic salons Gillenormand uesd to go to. Because vampires = glamorous decadent aristocrats, amirite?

On the serious side I think Marius's description fits vampire tropes because they both come from similar sources, i.e. vampires getting glammed up and dramaticized as part of Romanticism's fascination with doom and gloom and horror, and Marius as an avatar for Hugo's dweebish-but-recognizably-Romantic youth.

On the less serious side.... someone totally needs to write this fanfic. :lol:
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 am

Marianne wrote:Noooooo clearly it was one of the people in those aristocratic salons Gillenormand uesd to go to. Because vampires = glamorous decadent aristocrats, amirite?

On the serious side I think Marius's description fits vampire tropes because they both come from similar sources, i.e. vampires getting glammed up and dramaticized as part of Romanticism's fascination with doom and gloom and horror, and Marius as an avatar for Hugo's dweebish-but-recognizably-Romantic youth.

On the less serious side.... someone totally needs to write this fanfic. :lol:

Pfffft XD

Yes, I think you are probably right, but it really is interestingly excessive - Frédérique and I went through almost all the places he is mentioned this afternoon (we have our priorities correctly ordered) and almost every time he shows up he is a shadow of death or a wraith or a "vague form in black". It is pretty hilarious.

And, I could not agree more :'D

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 am

Also: no wonder Marius freaks out so much when Cosette's dress flies up and shows her ankle--he can't resist her.
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:34 am

Usefulbeauty wrote:Also: no wonder Marius freaks out so much when Cosette's dress flies up and shows her ankle--he can't resist her.

/chokes

HE SAW A VEIN IN HER LEG, PULSATING WITH DELICIOUS BLOOD

Knitterlywitch

Postby Knitterlywitch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:37 am

So, is JVJ antivampire? is that why he didn't want Marius to marry his kid? And Cosette, did he change her once he married her?

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:45 am

Hannah wrote:
Usefulbeauty wrote:Also: no wonder Marius freaks out so much when Cosette's dress flies up and shows her ankle--he can't resist her.

/chokes

HE SAW A VEIN IN HER LEG, PULSATING WITH DELICIOUS BLOOD

And he wanted to rip that aging man limb from limb! (I'm pretty sure it was implied that it was because he was trying to control his HOTVAMPIREBLOODLUST.)
- Voltaire

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:47 am

dsfgjlsdf Usefulbeauty I love you

@Knitterlywitch: I kind of like thinking of JAVERT THE VAMPIRE SLAYER someone mentioned from the other thread but Valjean as some kind of Van Helsing pastiche is also hilarious...

Return to “Brick Meta”