Enjolras Character Alignment?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.

Enjolras Character Alignment?

Postby 9430 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:03 pm

The answer to this is probably really simple and I just don't understand Enjolras enough (which is true), but this intrigues me.

Anyway, I like to hang around the Les Mis page on TVTropes, and there seems to be some dispute over Enjolras' projected character alignment, based on the Dungeons and Dragons system. Different posters have suggested Chaotic Good, Neutral Good or Lawful Good. Now, being a revolutionary and all, you would expect him to fall slap in Chaotic Good, overthrowing order for the rights of individuals. However, if you look at some of the passages and his speeches, a lot of these are about creating a new republic and order, which would propel him into Lawful Good, surely? Or is he, therefore, a bit of both, and works for the best thing for everyone, which would be Neutral Good?
aka Fiwen

Roses for Ophelia

Re: Enjolras Character Alignment?

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 pm

I'd probably say that Enjolras probably considers himself Lawful Good--but he's following the law of the people.

But the rest of us, i think would consider him Neutral Good. Neutral Good people follow the law when they can, which is what Enjolras talks about doing, following just laws, but don't hesitate to break it when they have to.

TV Tropes is EVIL!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

hazellwood

Re: Enjolras Character Alignment?

Postby hazellwood » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:21 pm

I think he straddles the line between Lawful Good and Neutral Good like he straddles every other line. (Character and symbol, fierce and serene, asexual and homosexual... sorry.)

Return to “Brick Meta”