The other Thénardier girl

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Apollo'sCrown

The other Thénardier girl

Postby Apollo'sCrown » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Any thoughts on Azelma, the Forgotten Child of the Brick? Most who have seen the musical and haven't delved into the wonders of Les Misérables as a novel don't know she exists, others who have read said Brick just sort of forget. She has all of what, three lines in the book (sans that part towards the end, just pre-M/C wedding), gets her arm cut, and does very little other than cry, if I remember correctly.

If the situation is as I left it right before this summer, there isn't a lot of Azelma featuring fic out there that doesn't have her paired with Montparnasse (and only in some context involving Éponine). Not that this is a problem, mind, but it does make one wonder why. Anything?
Grantaire dances ballet! Pass it on!

Roses for Ophelia

Re: The other Thénardier girl

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:29 am

Well....Bees has a thing for Azelma/Montparnasse, so she tends to write that pairing.

I've adopted Azelma, because of exactly that reason--even Victor Hugo seems to forget about her! She's just sort of THERE, but she doesn't really have any important things to do. It seems to me like Vic created her just so all the Thenardiers get to boss SOMEONE around. But despite the fact that she's a very minor charecter, to me her personality comes through; she's above all a child, so she obeys like a child, sulks like a child, and is not above a child's temper tantrums or brattiness. We do see her teasing and disobeying her father a bit at the end. And then, after the rest of the Thenardier family is killed off, she and her father seem to get a happy ending. She and her father go to America and become rich.

I've written a few things from Azelma's point of view, because, well, SOMEONE needed to! Azelma needs love!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:48 am

Links and content have been removed.
Last edited by collectingbees on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lara

Postby Lara » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 am

I'm an Azelma fangirl... just ask Melody. I think part of it comes from being the little sister...

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Links and content have been removed.

HotblackDesiato

Postby HotblackDesiato » Tue May 19, 2015 3:00 am

I've read her a few different ways: unfortunately, a lot of the time she isn't really given much character, offed for drama or simply not there, which I suppose is the fault of the Brick.

Return to “Brick Meta”