Meta: First Names

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Abelarda

Re: Meta: First Names

Postby Abelarda » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 pm

thoroughly_mod_mizzy wrote:Wicent Feuilly (Okay, so this one's not French. It's Polish. :D )

If I may suggest something... Actually, this book of yours is not very reliable when it comes to Polish names - the correct form of the one that you chose for Feuilly is "Wincenty". But I like that you chose the name: it was quite popular in the nineteenth century, it was the name of one of the Polish Romantic poets. :-) And, if you're searching for a good source of Polish names, Behind the Name is much better. :-)

We also have a topic on everything Polish connected (or not) to the works of Victor Hugo you want to ask.
Tell me, I've still a lot to learn,
Understand, these fires never stop,
Believe me, when this joke is tired of laughing,
I will hear the promise of my Orpheus sing...
(David Sylvian)

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:47 am

Hm, thanks for pointing that out, because I had no idea. Honestly, I was going by a baby name book that I stole from my parents book shelf. I imagine the book was attempting to make some of the more un-American names a little more mainstream. Or they just did it so that years later I could screw myself up on it. Lol.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:40 am

hazellwood wrote:I am not ever changing them.

I lied. Enjolras changed his name to Marc.

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:43 am

I always saw Grantaire as being Raoul. :)

Alex

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 pm

*Faints* I just started reading Les Misérables fanfiction a few days ago, and the first fic I read had Enjolras' first name as Julien. I didn't remember them having first names in the book (by the way, the fact that you all call it the brick is HYSTERICAL XD) so I just assumed I'd missed something and that was his given name. Then a later fic I read had Enjolras' first name as something else, and Combeferre's first name as Julien... X_X You can imagine my confusion XD

I haven't written any fanfiction yet, so I'm not sure what I would call them. For Enjolras, I'm thinking Aurelien (Just kidding! *shot*) I'll probably end up using Julien for him, since it's what I got used to first, and then... just make up the others as I go. But as someone mentioned here earlier, I would probably use them quite infrequently.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Alex wrote:Aurelien (Just kidding! *shot*)

:lol: In all seriousness, that is the name my Enjolras is given 98% of the time. In my defense I didn't think about what it meant until I'd got used to using it.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Huh? What's wrong with Aurelien? It's not an especially sexy-sounding name, but I was not aware there was something funny about it ...

Alex

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Oh, I meant I was just kidding because she said she would call us out on our unoriginality if we used it, since she came up with it. :lol:

I actually think it's really nice!

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 pm

LOL okay. It always seemed to flow really well -- and that's how it got picked, me saying a bunch of french names until I found one that sounded better than the rest in front of Enjolras. ;)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:58 pm

Well, it's very period-accurate, it's just that today it's not a very popular name. I've never met an Aurelien who was less than 60. But for the 1820's it's fine.

Another very popular first name for Enjolras is Marcellin, and this one is even more old-fashioned. I've actually never met or heard of a real person called Marcellin nowadays.

That said, I know plenty of Julien's. That name really made a comeback in the last few years.

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to actually use first names for my amis but, if I do Feuilly is totally a Christophe. I don't have names for any of the others but Christophe Feuilly just sounded right.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Mlle Patria wrote:I'm not sure if I'm ever going to actually use first names for my amis but, if I do Feuilly is totally a Christophe. I don't have names for any of the others but Christophe Feuilly just sounded right.

How does one pronounce "Feuilly?" I think the only time you hear his name in the show is "How do we stand, Feuilly make your report," and it's always so fast that I miss it. I imagined it as being "Foy-yee" but I'm not sure. Dig the name Christophe, though :)

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Yep, it's kind of like Foy-yee but you could also use 'Foh-yee' if I'm not mistaken. English doesn't really have the 'eu' sound in French. I'm fairly certain there's a thread about this.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Yeah, I think some people talked about it here a whiiiile ago XD Perhapssss that helps, Alex?

Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 pm

It helps so much, thanks a ton!

Return to “Brick Meta”