Meta: First Names

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:18 am

Hey, for funness, go here and put in your figment's first name: http://www.kabalarians.com/index.cfm

My Enjolras got this:
Your name of Gabriel has created a most expressive nature, idealistic and inspirational, driven with a strong inner urge to be of service in some way that would uplift humanity as a whole.

My Courferyac got this:
Martin as a first name gives you a very independent nature, yet you are friendly, approachable, and generous.
You can be a spontaneous, expressive, and talkative person.
Generally you are good-natured, though at times you can be rather blunt and sarcastic.

My Jean Prouvaire gets:
As Jean, you have a natural interest in the welfare of your fellow man, and a desire to help and serve others in a humanitarian way.
You are responsible and generous, although somewhat scattering and disorganized at times.
In your work, you would seek a position offering self-expression through contact with people, such as sales or teaching, or a position giving scope to your creative, artistic talents.

Some of them are really on mark and a few are kind of off, but it is fun to mess with.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 am

*giggles* I put in the names for my Enjolras and Grantaire... and they were completely switched. XD What came up for 'Aurelien' (my Enjolras) exactly matched my Grantaire, and what came up for 'Damien' (my Grantaire) exactly matched my Enjolras. I'd say Kabalarians is just full of shit, but that is a pretty wild coincidence.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:36 am

Let's do this for Cric's and my fanfic...

Enjolras:
Although the name Cedric creates an active mind and a restless urge to explore new ideas, we emphasize that it causes a superior, interfering expression whose favorite expression is "I know." This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the solar plexus, worry, and mental tension.
As Cedric you seek change, travel, new opportunities, and new challenges.
Your active, restless nature demands action and you dislike system and monotony.
As you are versatile and capable, you could do any job well, although you would not like to do menial tasks.
Having considerable vision, you could be adept at formulating new, more effective ways of doing things.
You could organize the work of others, though in your impatience to see the job done efficiently, you would likely step right in and do it yourself.

Combeferre:
Although the name Nicolas creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the lungs, heart, bronchial area, and tension or accidents to the head.
As Nicolas you have a great love of nature and the out-of-doors, and could have a desire to be in an occupation which takes you outdoors and involves you with the products of the earth.
All the finer things of life and beauties of nature are an inspiration to you and you are attracted to the mysteries of nature.
Difficulty in expression results in your being too positive, blunt, and candid in speech.
Although you are easily offended by others, you do not show it.
You crave affection and understanding, but rarely find it as others do not understand you and accuse you of being cool and aloof.

Courfeyrac:
Although the name Jean-Claude creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it limits your versatility and scope, tuning you to technical details.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the elimination system, and through worry and mental tension.
Your first name of Jean-Claude has given you a practical, logical, analytical approach to life and a great deal of patience.
You enjoy working at anything of a mechanical or technical nature, and believe that what is worth doing is worth doing well.
When you are interested in a project, you concentrate all your thoughts on it and do not appreciate being interrupted.
This name creates a deliberate and methodical way of thinking and speaking; it takes you time to learn but, once you have mastered a subject, you do not forget it.

Bahorel:
Although the name Eugene creates idealism and the urge to help others, we emphasize that it frustrates you through a scattered and emotional nature.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, liver, and bloodstream.
Your name of Eugene gives you a very happy-go-lucky, spontaneous nature.
You see the humorous side of many situations and can laugh at yourself as well as at others.
This name gives you a musical, artistic nature and you would do well in any occupation in the entertainment field.
You have many friends because of your generous, happy nature, but if crossed you have a quick temper, although your annoyance does not last too long.
You do enjoy an argument and will at times say things just to get others going and then you sit back and enjoy the debate.
You lack system and order and find it very difficult to budget and save money.

Grantaire:
Although the name Philippe creates an active mind and a restless urge to explore new ideas, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the solar plexus, and tension or accidents to the head.
The name of Philippe makes you dynamic, restless, independent, ready to accept challenges, and outspoken.
You enjoy change, travel, and new experiences.
Reacting against injustice, you go out of your way to assist in creating fairness.
You are very creative and promotional, and work intensely to carry out your plans.
Though you have limitless enthusiasm for new ventures, you lose interest quickly once things become routine, as you dislike being forced to attend to detail and do monotonous work.

Joly:
Although the name Louis creates idealism and the urge to help others, we emphasize that it limits your versatility and scope, tuning you to technical details.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, and elimination system.
While your name of Louis gives you an intense desire to be of service to others, it brings out a practical, technical nature, and you become involved in fussy little details that detract from the fulfilment of your greater ideals.
You are a very patient person and will work hard one step at a time to accomplish your goals.
Not interested in large undertakings, you are content to live from day to day to save for your future.
Always budgeting carefully, you do not believe in frivolous spending.
You tend to be thorough in building a solid foundation of fact and logic, but you are not especially imaginative or investigative.

Lèsgles:
Although the name Gustave creates idealism and the urge to help others, we emphasize that it causes a restless intensity that defies relaxation.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, and solar plexus.
Your name of Gustave has many sterling qualities but does not give you an overall stability.
You do everything with an intensity to the point of fervour, and either you feel tremendous elation or you are in the depths of despair.
People often disappoint you because you are idealistic and are apt to place those whom you admire on a pedestal.
Then you become disillusioned when they fall short of your expectations.
You are quick mentally and like to see things moving at an accelerated pace.
Patience is not one of your virtues; you want to move when the impulse strikes you.
While such spontaneity is fine at times, you must take account of conditions and employ careful analysis so as to avoid disastrous results such as accidents due to hasty actions.
Most things you do, you do well, but as soon as the task, hobby, or job becomes familiar or routine, you are bored and crave a change.

Feuilly:
Although the name Jerome creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it frustrates you through a scattered and emotional nature.
This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the heart, lungs, bronchial area, liver, and bloodstream.
Your name of Jerome is a dual influence: at times you can be extremely happy, expressive, full of fun, and good-natured; yet at other times you find congenial association impossible, being controlled by self-pity, moods, and depression.
If you could express only the constructive qualities and restrain the negative qualities of your nature, you would always be good company.
These contrasting qualities make it difficult for people to understand you and can lead to friction in your personal life.
You are deep, philosophical, and refined, but your extremely sensitive nature causes you to become depressed over any real or imagined slight.

Well, what can I say... :lol: They did not get anyone right, except Joly's health problems perhaps. :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:14 pm

I'll do this for my figments.

Enjolras

While the name Antoine creates the urge to be self-expressive and sociable, without a properly balanced last name, it causes a argumentative and intolerant expression.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the liver, bloodstream, worry, and mental tension.

The name of Antoine creates a happy, versatile, and expressive nature, with good business judgment and a fine sense of responsibility, which should enable you to establish congenial relationships in positions of trust where you are dealing with the public.

You have a clever, quick mind, with the ability to accomplish a great deal in a short period of time, although it is not easy for you to systematize your efforts.

This name could allow expression along musical and artistic lines and gives you the desire to entertain and to meet and mix with people of refinement and culture.

Combeferre

Although the name Francois creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it limits your versatility and scope, tuning you to technical details.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the heart, lungs, bronchial area, and elimination system.

The name of Francois creates a quiet, systematic, and technical nature and a clever, inventive mind, attentive to detail.

You are attracted to working outdoors in nature, where you would experience the peace and serenity you so much desire.

You would find electricity, electronics, and similar technical fields of interest, as well as computer, mathematical, and scientific studies.

You are inclined to be quiet, reserved, patient, and conservative, preferring to test and prove everything to your own satisfaction before committing yourself.

You like to finish what you start without interruptions, and also to have everything in its place and properly organized.

Courfeyrac

Although the name Maurice creates idealism and the urge to help others, we emphasize that it limits self-expression and friendly congeniality with a moody disposition.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, heart, lungs and bronchial area.

The name of Maurice gives you a very idealistic nature.

Your desire for peace and harmony causes you to withdraw from situations where there is friction and acrimony.

You are quite reserved and inclined to feel sensitive and self-conscious, even though you strive to appear poised and confident.

Being rather secretive in many ways, and not liking people to pry into your affairs restrict opportunities for friendship; not until you feel you can trust others do you open up to them.

The desire to help others and the generous side of your nature attract those who take advantage of you.

Feuilly

Although the name Gilles creates an active mind and a restless urge to explore new ideas, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the solar plexus, and tension or accidents to the head.

The name of Gilles makes you dynamic, restless, independent, ready to accept challenges, and outspoken.

You enjoy change, travel, and new experiences.

Reacting against injustice, you go out of your way to assist in creating fairness.

You are very creative and promotional, and work intensely to carry out your plans.

Though you have limitless enthusiasm for new ventures, you lose interest quickly once things become routine, as you dislike being forced to attend to detail and do monotonous work.

Joly

Although the name Patrice creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it causes an emotional intensity that is hard to control.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, worry, and mental tension.

Your name of Patrice has created a most expressive nature, idealistic and inspirational, driven with a strong inner urge to be of service in some way that would uplift humanity as a whole.

However, there is a tendency to assume too heavy a burden of responsibility for others, which leads to worry and undue concern.

People with problems are drawn to you as they recognize you as one who has understanding and gives not only sympathy and comfort but provides also some constructive advice or assistance.

You have a generous quality to your nature, but you must guard carefully against giving more than you receive or you will find yourself doing without because you have helped someone else

Bossuet

Although the name Crispin creates idealism and the urge to help others, we emphasize that it limits self-expression and friendly congeniality with a moody disposition.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, heart, lungs and bronchial area.

The name of Crispin gives you a very idealistic nature.

Your desire for peace and harmony causes you to withdraw from situations where there is friction and acrimony.

You are quite reserved and inclined to feel sensitive and self-conscious, even though you strive to appear poised and confident.

Being rather secretive in many ways, and not liking people to pry into your affairs restrict opportunities for friendship; not until you feel you can trust others do you open up to them.

The desire to help others and the generous side of your nature attract those who take advantage of you.

Bahorel

Although the name Damien creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses through worry, mental tension, and tension or accidents to the head.

Your name of Damien gives you self-assurance, independence, and confidence.

You have depth of mind and the ability to concentrate and to follow a line of thought to a logical conclusion.

Your love of challenging the concepts of others invariably leads you to create your own ideas and to pioneer new lines of thought.

Your strong characteristic of individuality qualifies you as a leader.

You must be independent and you do not brook interference in any way.

Although you do not tolerate interference in your own affairs, this characteristic does not prevent you from interfering in the affairs of others.

Grantaire

Although the name Laurent creates idealism and the urge to help others, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the nervous system, and tension or accidents to the head.

Your name of Laurent has given you an idealistic nature with a desire to help others.

Your initiative often causes you to be the first to act when you see a need.

Since you are impressionable and receptive, you feel the misfortunes of others very keenly.

However, this name makes it awkward for you to express your deeper thoughts and feelings with finesse and diplomacy to the extent that your candid, sometimes blunt, manner of speaking creates misunderstandings with others.

Being somewhat self-centred, you learn through your own experiences, as you rarely take advice from others.

Yet, you are sensitive and very easily hurt and offended.

You long for praise and appreciation for your efforts, but others find it difficult to understand you.

It's somewhat accurate for most of the guys, but least of all for Enjolras and Courfeyrac.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Many of my figments didn't match up; I only put the parts of mine I liked, but it's still a fun, interesting way to waste time. XD
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 am

Aku wrote:Jules Montparnasse

That looks miiighty familiar.
Squee!!!

But no, seriously. I thought I would simultaneously bump and backtrack this thread.

I haven't named the barricade boys because I never write them. But.

Montparnasse... I had Jules Montparnasse, but he was really squishy and in love with Éponine and weirdly wide-eyed, so I killed him. He pops up every now and then, but mostly... he is dead.

Now I have Marcel Montparnasse. I know, very M-y. But. It is. Marcel is cruel and I'm never exactly sure whether he is going to pwn or be pwn'd in a fic... He usually pwns, but he was pwn'd by Cosette once, which was rather unfortunate for him... he got her back, though.

Ahem.

and I can live inside my head...

Then I have Guillaume Babet. That's just... his name.

Etienne Thenardier and Julie Thenardier. Also, Jondrette was Julie's maiden name. Because Julie Jondrette is amazing.

What? I like alliteration.

And I think those are all the first names I've invented.

(On a side note, I have a laptop and I tried pressing Fn+Alt+233 or +232 and neither made any accents happen... I tried the real number keys and the lil ones that are really K and L too... :( )

Hannah

Re: Meta: First Names

Postby Hannah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 pm

In my favorite pet crack universe, everyone's first name is Jean. All of them.

silverwhistle

Re: Names

Postby silverwhistle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Frédéric Dumont wrote:Let's compare this to our list (that is, the one Jean-le-Cric and I made)

Cédric Enjolras

Hmm… It may be a bit early for him to have that as a first name. As far as I'm aware, Walter Scott invented 'Cedric' as a first name in 1819, for Ivanhoe – a misreading of the real Wessex king-name Cerdic. (I don't know if Scott was slightly dyslexic or just careless, but he does do some odd things with names at times: for example, in The Talisman, he misread 'f' as a long 's', and turned Conrad of Montferrat into "of Montserrat".)

The lack of canonical first names is rather irritating. I don't think any of the leading men in '93 has a first name.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:58 pm

My Enjolras is Marcelin and my Combeferre is Etienne. Always. And I came up with those all by myself, too-- I didn't even realize how many other people had those, too. But they've stuck and I am not ever changing them. My Feuilly is Daniel and my Bahorel is Christophe, because I steal shamelessly from Wasps like that, and my Courfeyrac is occasionally called Aimery. Although I am tempted to give him a ridiculous name like Ermengilde or something. Lesgle is Luc, because it sounds cool. The only ones that have no first name as of yet are Joly and Grantaire. Grantaire because it doesn't really feel right for him to have a first name (I'm such a dork) and I can't think of a good one, and Joly because I don't want to rip off of Wasps again and am too unoriginal. And Prouvaire is staying Je(h)an. I can't understand the fixation with giving him a second name.

As for the non-Amis... Javert is staying Javert. Just because. Montparnasse has no first name simply because... I don't think he should have a first name. :/ Ditto with Claquesous, and the rest of PM I have no idea, really.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 am

Because "Jean" sounds too plain, particularly for a novel where he has a contemporary named "Théodule" :)

It is so tempting sometimes to just start handing out the worst names I can find from the period - because turning it into "Baby's named a bad, bad thing" would be hilarious. But then, I have to live with it, so no, Grantaire is not going to end up named Hyacinthe or Onésime or Eusèbe (I swear this books encourages the 1858 version of "Baby's named a bad, bad thing".)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:15 am

I think the plain name adds to his charm. Plain name, eccentric person.
As for other crazy names... so far I've managed to stave off the temptation but occasionally I'll come up with something *really* cruel.
And those links are not going to help.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:20 am

I updated the list of first names.

For the Amis, everyone still has the same names that I used in the past: Antoine Enjolras, Francois Combeferre, Maurice Courfeyrac, Jean Prouvaire, Gilles Feuilly, Damien Bahorel, Patrice Joly, Crispin Lesgle, Laurent Grantaire. The older Thenardiers are still named Nicolas and Paulette. The two youngest Thenardiers still have the names Neville and Jacques. Magnon's first name in my universe is still Suzette. Montparnasse is still Pierre.

Newer names I have given: Babet is named Lucien. Claquesous is actually named Claude Valjean (yes, he's Jean Valjean's youngest nephew). Guelemer has the name Julien. I also named Mamselle Miss "Victoria Hastings". I also gave Navet a proper name at some point: Bernard Avril.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:33 pm

In something i was working on i had Montparnasse explain that when he was arrested as a very young child he was registered as 'the abandoned child found in the quartier Montparnasse,' because he refused to tell his name. So Montparnasse became the name he was called in prison, and the name he began to associate himself with. I never gave him a real name.

I never decided on Gavroche's 'real name' either, since Gavroche is the name he chose for himself. In fact, to avoid giving him one (because it would have to be something ridiculous and over-the-top, since this is Mme. Thenardier we're talking about,) i made Azelma forget his real name and Éponine refuse to tell her, probably because she forgot too, and his parents clearly don't care. I can't think of him as ever being called anything but Gavroche.

I was clearly more interested in explaining why people had no first names than giving them one.

I called Enjolras 'Marcellin' because it's such an old fandom thing, i felt like i should use it too! The rest i never gave concrete names, except i think i called Feuilly Daniel once, even though everyone else uses it, it still fits him very well. Combeferre will probably be Julien if i ever give him a name, and Grantaire is probably Alexandre or Sebastien.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:48 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:It is so tempting sometimes to just start handing out the worst names I can find from the period - because turning it into "Baby's named a bad, bad thing" would be hilarious. But then, I have to live with it, so no, Grantaire is not going to end up named Hyacinthe or Onésime or Eusèbe (

I rather like the idea of Grantaire being called Hyacinthe, because of Apollo/Hyacinthus.
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Wow, lots of awesome names. All of my Les Mis muses live in an alternate universe set in modern times, so their names are all more modern.

I pulled out a baby name book for Les Amis and researched names derived from French. Somehow I came up with:

Gage Enjolras (I totally don't remember what it means, I just liked the sound of it.)
René Combeferre (Okay, less modern, but I felt compelled to use it.)
Dennis Lesgle (Don't ask, okay.)
Cordell Joly (Again, don't ask. I decided that matching definitions to personalities was too much of a pain. so I just picked things that sounded okay.)
Marlon Courfeyrac (I think it had something to do with Marlon Brando. Be afraid. Be very afraid.)
Wicent Feuilly (Okay, so this one's not French. It's Polish. :D )
Page Grantaire (It's a metaphor. Or something.)
Reynard Bahorel (Um, I don't really know. I was never really a huge Bahorel fan.)

Oh, and Montparnasse' first name is Pierpont.

And Javert's full name is Adolf Obadiah Javert. Yes, it is. This is a fact. Unless you ask my brother, who will tell you that Javert's first name is Ingrid.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

Return to “Brick Meta”