Meta: First Names

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
RoseMarieIsSuzette

Re: Meta: First Names

Postby RoseMarieIsSuzette » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Enjolras: Ange Jean-Baptiste. :lol:
Madame Thenardier: Gillette (young goat). :D
Gorgeous avatar by unknown. Yes, fan of 2004 POTO, while NOT fan of 2012 Les Misérables! I can mumble and cry without music too...

Malaika

Postby Malaika » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:37 pm

I don't write them with French first names as my fics are set in Britain:

Sebastien Enjolras
Francis Courfeyrac
Tristan Grantaire
Last edited by Malaika on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Malaika wrote:I don't write them with French forst names as my fics are set in Britain:

Sebastien Enjolras
Francis Courfeyrac
Tristan Grantaire

Although, interesting to note, both Tristan and Sebastien are already French names, (especially spelling Sebastien with an e instead of an a) and Francis at least translates easily to François.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 am

In talking with Acaila over the weekend, I decided to finally sit down and write a nice long origin-story fic for the forming of Les Amis -- or at least my version of them -- which of course called for choosing which of the various names I like to use should get to feature.

UGH. IT'S BEEN HOURS AND I STILL HAVEN'T SETTLED ON HALF OF THEM. Curse France for the overuse of Louis, Jean, Antoine, etc. Using fun and unique names for all nine amis might be Hugolian, but it's certainly not historically appropriate.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 am

Haha reading this thread is so much fun. I remember a while ago there was a discussion about names in the Cafe thread and someone came up with the genius idea of "Eugène François Javert", which is officially the name of my headcanon Javert now. :D Also I think Louis Antoine Enjolras is a good name for...obvious reasons.

What name will you give to the Thenardiers and Patron Minette members? :mrgreen: I'm especially curious about Montparnasse, partly because I think his name sounds truly awkward in my native language. Is there any name that sounds evil and beautiful enough at the same time? That would suit him.

Has anyone given Fantine and her friends last names? A confession: pardon me because I'm helpless at foreign languages -- I laughed so hard at the fact that "favorite" is actually a name when I read the English translation of Les Mis.

deHavilland wrote:In talking with Acaila over the weekend, I decided to finally sit down and write a nice long origin-story fic for the forming of Les Amis -- or at least my version of them -- which of course called for choosing which of the various names I like to use should get to feature.

UGH. IT'S BEEN HOURS AND I STILL HAVEN'T SETTLED ON HALF OF THEM. Curse France for the overuse of Louis, Jean, Antoine, etc. Using fun and unique names for all nine amis might be Hugolian, but it's certainly not historically appropriate.

I'm usually against fan fictions (friend forced me to read some of other fandoms and I've been really scared of this thing ever since) but this seems like an interesting idea! Good luck with your writing. Can we see it when you're done? :D
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:35 pm

23623 wrote:Haha reading this thread is so much fun. I remember a while ago there was a discussion about names in the Cafe thread and someone came up with the genius idea of "Eugène François Javert", which is officially the name of my headcanon Javert now. :D Also I think Louis Antoine Enjolras is a good name for...obvious reasons.

Poor Enjolras, burdened with the weight of the aristocracy from first introduction.

23623 wrote:What name will you give to the Thenardiers and Patron Minette members? :mrgreen: I'm especially curious about Montparnasse, partly because I think his name sounds truly awkward in my native language. Is there any name that sounds evil and beautiful enough at the same time? That would suit him.

Personally, I keep Montparnasse as Montparnasse and call it a day. Since he's part of the shady underworld and Montparnasse is already a geographical feature of Paris, the two go together as "had no name, picked one up passed on where he was at, end of story." *lazy*

23623 wrote:I'm usually against fan fictions (friend forced me to read some of other fandoms and I've been really scared of this thing ever since) but this seems like an interesting idea! Good luck with your writing. Can we see it when you're done? :D

Don't let a friend's misdemeanor force you against a fun and creative side to fandom! If you ever take a few minutes to imagine how you think the characters would react to a certain thing, or what it would be like to put them in a situation other than the ones we see them take part in within the book (or musical), then you're already halfway to writing your own anyway: you just have to physically put pen to paper. It always makes me sad when people say things like "oh, I could never imagine myself reading or writing fic" because to me it just feels like they're closing themselves off to an easy creative outlet: most of the character development and world-building is done for you, regardless of which fandom you write in, you just have to come up with a scenario and let it play out!

Yes, of course. I'm sure if it ever gets finished I'll post it on Abaisse like I usually do.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Fanfiction is brilliant!
I was recently re-reading a bunch of AMarguerite's stuff and it really reminded me of so many of the fandom classics.
Even if you're not into slash, because there is a ton of slash out there, there is some really great stuff that definitely enhances the novel
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 am

deHavilland wrote:Poor Enjolras, burdened with the weight of the aristocracy from first introduction.

I have a feeling that a third of the French population at that time shared the same name so he's definitely not alone. :lol:
*imagines that everyone in Les Mis who goes by their family name is actually named Louis*
*dies laughing*

Acaila wrote:Even if you're not into slash, because there is a ton of slash out there ...

That's exactly what scares me. :oops: It took me a long time to register the fact that Les Mis fan fiction actually exists (thanks to that 50-page discussion of "an important question", :shock: ). I thought fan fiction was a thing of Japanese anime fandoms and there was slash and all kinds of disturbing stuff. My friend actually admitted that it was the case in his fandoms and he was so used to it now. He forced me to read a fan fiction about the love triangle of two sisters and another girl (a character he pairs with the elder sister). If there were any fan fiction that did the same thing to Éponine and Azelma I would die.
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 am

23623 wrote:I have a feeling that a third of the French population at that time shared the same name so he's definitely not alone. :lol:
*imagines that everyone in Les Mis who goes by their family name is actually named Louis*
*dies laughing*

There's a wonderful fanfic of how Enjolras' meets all the other Amis in which everyone is called Jean, and that's why they go by their last names. It's really good, and really funny. It's on AO3, called Mes Amis, Mes Amis if you want to check it out. :D
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Morbidmuch_ wrote:There's a wonderful fanfic of how Enjolras' meets all the other Amis in which everyone is called Jean, and that's why they go by their last names.
I love it! {going to look it up}
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:37 am

I kind of like how they all just have last names. I have a personal headcanon that Enjolras has a really flowery, bourgeois first name with too many hyphens and that's why he'd rather go by his last name.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Return to “Brick Meta”