~fashion~~~

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
MmeBahorel

Re: ~fashion~~~

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Oh my god! Even the portrait is in a state of undress! I think we found the public room of a high-class male brothel.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:17 pm

I saw that one too when I was googling for 19th century shirts! I wondered if it was meant to be Shelly and Byron indulging in some slash - er - Romantic posing.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Elwen Rhiannon

Postby Elwen Rhiannon » Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 pm

I posted on my LJ some pictures concerning 1830s fashion from period journals (honesty forces me to add that they start in 1834, so it's rather the post-Brick period) http://elwen-rhiannon.livejournal.com/31882.html

Similar pictures from 1815, when the story more or less starts http://elwen-rhiannon.livejournal.com/31453.html
"Believe in the future. Combeferre does."

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed May 04, 2011 4:39 am

Those are really cool, thank you for sharing!

deakce

Postby deakce » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am

Many thanks for posting this helpful information through your blog site. It’s basically what I was examining on Google. I relatively a bit reasonably hear opinions from an individual, hardly than a company web page, that’s why I like blogs so extensively.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:36 am

Unlike the spammer before me, I bring actual content!

I've finally uploaded a few pics and some extensive notes I made about ten years ago, at a museum that holds their copyright pretty close. As in, I'm not going to identify them here, and I'm not linking the page to my website, but I am going to give you guys the link.

19th century clothing

It covers women's undergarments and men's and women's clothes from our exact period, a little before, and a little after.

If I get a cease and desist letter, I'll post here so you know if it goes inoperative. The pics aren't great (see - technology of ten years ago, also glass cases), but I think they're really helpful to compare to written descriptions.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Sigh...another reason why I miss that part of the world...that particular museum. I wonder if we ever crossed paths there? At the time, I'd have been ogling their Lucile gowns.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Romantic_Lobster

Postby Romantic_Lobster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Things I just found, while looking for something completely different (might be a case of 19th century fashion just keeps finding me :) ) : a nice little fashion oriented collection of paintings from the first half of the 19th century: http://www.marquise.de/en/1800/arte/1800art1.shtml

And some fashion plates: http://www.marquise.de/en/1800/pics/1800b.shtml

(Actually, that whole page looks pretty interesting, but it's mostly in German)

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:21 am

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/a-ch ... 82ee3ce9e5

Here's a site that's auctioning authentic historical clothing. There's a ton of cool stuff, but this post in particular caught my attention and I had to share the squee'age--a beautiful brown tailcoat, described as c. 1832, and a striped yellow waistcoat, with a shirt and trousers (and the cravat in the picture is beautifully tied. :D ) I think it'd be Combeferre that I'd put in this particular ensemble...
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:50 pm

If only I were wealthy. :lol: That whole ensemble is making me ridiculously covetous.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:28 am

Oh, me too. Thankfully it's far enough out of my range that I can't torment myself with the idea of scrimping and purchasing it...
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 am

I, uhm, went on a pinning binge and bring you all a link to the results: [s]Romantic Era Clothing[/s].

The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) maintains a list of online collections. This is everything I could pull from 1825-1835 (because Barricade Boys and their girlfriends are my general priority) from every collection they list where I could parse the search function with the exception of the Museo del Traje, which lets you download the entries in PDF but not link directly to them. I haven't been back through the V&A (this binge started with finding extant clothing and fabric patterns for a projected c. 1782 outfit), but will add their collection later.

Male, female, and accessories are all covered, with a combination of extant objects and fashion plates. I highly recommending clicking through to the stuff from Powerhouse in Oz - they've got really great information on the holdings that were donated to them.

This should save a lot of digging through archives - or give you a chance to do your own digging :)

ETA: I've had to split it for easier searching. I now have Romantic-Era Women's Fashion and Romantic-Era Men's Fashion. I've added V&A items and started adding lots of portraits from the period where they show good details of hairstyles, accessories, or daily dress.
Last edited by MmeBahorel on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm

You do realize I'm going to have to follow your board now right?

Still, great finds there MmeBahorel!
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I was wondering if I could ask you guys for some advice: I am making an 1830's-style dress for Christmas, and I can't quite decide what kind of neckline it should have - a high one pretty close to the throat, or a low, wide ball-gown neckline.

I expect I will be wearing the dress mainly for Christmas and birthday parties during the Christmas season, attended mainly by my family and closest friends. These parties tend to be rather informal and take place roughly between three and ten in the afternoon/evening.
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 am

I'd do a mid-range neckline like this dress in the FIT collection. You can make a pelerine to go with it for warmth/additional modesty/stylistic flexibility. It should have a removable lace collar (see this fashion plate for ideas) - it shouldn't really look that plain. But the wide without being shoulder-wide neckline for day dresses was reasonably frequent from c. 1828-1837. It may also be filled in with thin muslin/net to a high lace collar, removable. Your choice.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”