~fashion~~~

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
hazellwood

Re: ~fashion~~~

Postby hazellwood » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:34 am

Wives and daughters has FABULOUS costuming. The movie starts with the Regency period and ends in the Romantic era, so it's great!! I haven't seen all of Byron yet, but I liked the costuming I saw. Hannah, those really are good prints. !! {Joan of Arc's activities. Snerk.} Also, MmeB, that is really excellent info. :3 Thanks!

I also posted more fashion plates I bought recently, here. Everyone can view it and anonymous comments are open. :mrgreen:

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:03 am

Oh, I saw Wives and Daughters ages ago and loved it! I'm a bit suspicious of some of Molly's costumes, though. Namely that jumper outfit she wears in some of the later scenes. I think it's adorable, but I just can't figure out if it would have, y'know, existed. If anyone knows better, I'd love to hear! (Also there's this website, which is a list of the costumes worn in Wives and Daughters. http://hooks-and-needles.blogspot.com/2 ... oject.html)
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:43 pm

I think jumpers could have existed, but they probably wouldn't have been worn with the blouses she has underneath (hello regency sleeves!) and definitely weren't in the height of fashion, as I don't believe I've seen mention in a source book or fashion plate within the middle/upper class--peasant clothing could have been different. (Logically, you wouldn't need to wear as much clothing along with jumpers and it would be easier to keep them clean because they aren't touching your bare skin.)

//combs through website

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 am

That's a good point about the jumpers. It's a shame that lower class and peasant clothing isn't so well documented.
On Goodreads.com, I got a message from the lady who compiled and translated The Lady's Stratagem. I don't know if it was actually her and so few people have listed her books as read that she has time to personally email them, or if it was just the publishing company, but it was sort of awesome anyway. It was basically just saying that she has books out on Restoration Era fashion and the like, but I might write back to be like "I love you and the Stratagem was a gift to the world" or something. xD
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:49 pm

This is a good site for looking at the accuracy of costuming in period films. Covers a lot of different times but of course there's a lot of 19th century stuff there.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks, Ulkis! I saw that web site ages ago but since I forgot to bookmark it, I couldn't find it again. I've been meaning to show my sister.

I watched The Young Victoria last night. I wasn't paying too much attention to the plot, but daaaang those dresses were beautiful. It's a bit later than I think we're mainly interested in, but you can see some early 1830's stuff at the very beginning, and the underwear and hairstyles are very detailed.
- Voltaire

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 am

Does anyone have any idea where this image is from? I took one look at it and thought "COURFEYRAC!" and the fashions look very 1830s.

(Full size here: http://www.marriedtothesea.com/070710/c ... -cloth.gif )
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 pm

I have no idea what that's from, but it's almost definitely 1830s or 1840s. And very amusing.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 am

OMG PLAID TROUSERS
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 pm

That's exactly what I thought: PLAID!!!!

And it is SO Courfeyrac. And he is SO not really selling umbrella guards - he's just using it as an excuse to prod people.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 am

How awesome is this...GIGOT SHOULDER PADS. Am tempted sorely to bid on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1830s-Down-Fil ... 5642d182ba
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Fantastic and frightening all at once - but that says everything about 1830s sleeves :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Col.Despard wrote:How awesome is this...GIGOT SHOULDER PADS. Am tempted sorely to bid on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1830s-Down-Fil ... 5642d182ba

It's ended now (D:), but that is AMAZING. Sleeve pads!! I wonder if there are any surviving instructions on how to make those.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 am

I found a copy of Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail, 1700-1915, which is so beautiful and I want everything in it to be mine.
And while it has quite a few nice examples of 1820s and 30s clothes for both men and women, my main point is...
The Waistcoat of The Republic!
(http://www.lacma.org/art/ExhibFashioningFashion.aspx If you scroll down on the website to a picture of a tricolor vest with "Vest, France, 1784-1794", that's the one.)
- Voltaire

Cary

Postby Cary » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:21 pm

While doing a little fashion research, I found this site that sells patterns for men's shirts from various eras and countries: http://www.agelesspatterns.com/men_7.htm (a handy resource if you're planning to have reproduction outfits made). What caught my attention was (and what I'd like to draw *your* attention to), however, not the various designs available but this particular rendering of two young men men modelling 1820s wear at the bottom of the page:

Oh my... :lol:

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”