Suggestions for Further Nerdy Reading

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Usefulbeauty

Re: Suggestions for Further Nerdy Reading

Postby Usefulbeauty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 am

Ohhhh.
Brb, selling teeth.

On a more serious but still not quite coherent note, these all look amazing. 8D I'm especially drawn to "The Consecration of the Writer" and all that Theophile Gautier love. I'm getting more and more interested in him.
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 am

"Speculations on Several Dubious Subjects": Possibly the best subtitle of any book, ever.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 am

Right?! I love this collection of books. :D I want them ALL.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:47 am

There is some serious awesome in that list! I am LOVING the Borel bio - it is a bit dated in terms of biography, but it's a fabulous book.

It has entire subjects on chapters like "The Dandies", "The Bouzingos", and the 1832 cholera epidemic and why Paris apparently conducted itself as if it was a giagantic version of Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death"...the description of Carnival in 1832 is seriously epic, and apparently it was even more OTT than usual (NEKKID CANCAN!!!!).
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 am

BOOKS! Pedantic history of the word 'Romantic'! OMSB!

Praz is fairly hostile toward his topic, and hates Borel

... I wonder what is up with so many people of more or less bourgeois negative attitudes tackling as comparatively inessential a subject matter as the frénétiques? (I mean, I get that there are reactionary books about revolutions, but why write reactionary books about really rather minor literary movements?) If they were such ineffectual, decadent (in the literal sense) poseurs, failures etc., why not study and discuss something else? I'll admit I haven't read the Starkie bio (it's hard to see a reasonably priced copy floating by my neck of the woods, same for "The Romantic Agony") (ETA: FOUND IN LIBRARY YAY), I just recall the Claretie one (even more dated; 'scholarship' as we think of it is hardly even a question) and this blog post on the Starkie, and the need to stress that He/They Were/Was Not Quite Reasonable and the like ... well, that much is self-avowed. A lot.

Anyhow :D You can get published with Speculations on Several Dubious Subjects? Today, I mean (as opposed to 'when you are Théophile Gautier')? I love the whole world, etc. (And the list author is my favourite person for stating straight away that their own work contains 'little material not derived from Starkie's biography of Borel.')

This - "Souvenirs d'un Hugolâtre. La génération de 1830" might also be amusing if anybody could get their hands on it.

the description of Carnival in 1832 is seriously epic, and apparently it was even more OTT than usual (NEKKID CANCAN!!!!).

Aw, but where's the fun in cancan without the enormous ruffles?

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:22 am

Oh, I don't know...she did the cancan wearing a feather boa and long black gloves and NOTHING else, so I think that gets a thumbs up.

MmeJavert and I have already discussed the possibility that she was Courfeyrac's mistress.

Interesting blog entry...I'm still quite early on in it, but I can see where those criticisms are going to come in. We haven't yet really got to his body of work (although I nearly fell over myself with glee when I found out that it was Borel who wrote "No man is a hero to his valet" - I came across that years ago, and thought it was splendid...had no idea it was Borel), but I'm already questioning Starkie's belief that a lot of Borel's behaviour can be attributed to an instability of character that is ultimately going to bring about his downfall.

Borel's star seems to have fallen in the late 1830s, and some - including O'Neddy - were questioning his ascendency in this period within a few years of his death, saying that it was Gautier and de Nerval who were the main figures. Gautier, however, is clear that in these early years it was Borel around whom they orbited.

I wonder if there's any recent scholarship on Borel?
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Dame Grise

Postby Dame Grise » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Adding Thomas BOUCHET, Le roi et les barricades. Une histoire des 5 et 6 juin 1832, Paris, Seli Arslan, 2000, 224 p.

There is only a little that is directly related, but the entire book is fascinating (from what I can tell with my "get the gist of it" French reading). I bought a copy (new at that) because it was M. Bouchet who sent me copies (and printouts of chapters from his unpublished at the time book) of articles and documents pertaining to Jeanne. That's how I first learned his given name. It's fully Eugene Charles Jeanne, but he's ever anything but Jeanne, it's Charles Jeanne.

I was very excited to get my envelope of treasures and my microform of Le Cloitre St Mery back when I got my stuff out of long term storage this summer.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 pm

*poke*

I guess this would be the place to put these... :oops:

They've already been suggested, and probably already found by everyone who'd read them, but have a few Google Book links.

Hernani, in English. In French.

Mysteries of Paris, English.

For the sake of it, Candide. Still in English.

So, not really that constructive, and I don't know of the translations are that great or accurate, but... :oops: Oh well.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks to the Les Mis US tour Twitter feed, here are two books which look simply awesome!!

The Insurgent Barricade http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B55GB52/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
Barricades: The War of the Streets in Revolutionary Paris, 1830-1848 http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312294794/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

I WANT THESE BOOKS!!!!!
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:25 pm

*swoons with book envy*

Especially the first.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Both are on my wishlist already :D
I love that the tour feed is mentioning things like that, I may have to follow them - what's their twitter username?
Much better than the stupid movie twitter anyway!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Courgette wrote:Thanks to the Les Mis US tour Twitter feed, here are two books which look simply awesome!!

Barricades: The War of the Streets in Revolutionary Paris, 1830-1848 http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312294794/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

I WANT THESE BOOKS!!!!!

I have em... 8)
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:37 am

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
Courgette wrote:Thanks to the Les Mis US tour Twitter feed, here are two books which look simply awesome!!

I WANT THESE BOOKS!!!!!

I have em... 8)

Brilliant!!

Acaila wrote:Both are on my wishlist already :D
I love that the tour feed is mentioning things like that, I may have to follow them - what's their twitter username?
Much better than the stupid movie twitter anyway!

http://www.twitter.com/LesMisUSTour

These are the two tweets that mentioned it:
Another book on the barricade...The Insurgent Barricade @Amazon https://twitter.com/LesMisUSTour/status ... 9741871104

Barricades: The War of the Streets in Revolutionary Paris, 1830-1848 @Amazon
https://twitter.com/LesMisUSTour/status ... 5422117890
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks for that :d Following now!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

That-Poor-Tyrant

Postby That-Poor-Tyrant » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:42 am

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but....lately my favorite method of procrastination has been browsing Gallica. Among other wonderful random materials, I stumbled across this:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5 ... ire.langFR
It's a poem/parody version of Les Misérables published in 1862.
It is easily one of the most baffling things I have ever seen (first LM fanfic? Complete with misspelled names!).
Favorite passage:
"Quand on a trop de personnages.
et qu'on veut abréger des pages,
la barricade est leur tombeau,
le moyen est beau et nouveau;
je ne puis vous dire qu'en gros,
qu'Éponine, Enjolras, et Gavroche,
la fille, l'étudiant, et le mioche,
moururent tous trois en héros"

Translation (it's quite late and I'm quite tired- so please forgive if it's not perfect): When one has too many characters and so desires to reduce the pages, the barricade is their tomb- the method is beautiful and new. I cannot tell you roughly that Éponine, Enjolras, et Gavroche- girl, student, and kid- all died as heroes.

Edit: There is also a novel from 1903, written by Paul Adam, called La Ruse: 1827-1828, which features not only Les Amis de l'ABC, but also some characters from Balzac (Daniel d'Arthez and Michel Chrestien). There are probably more, but I just got a glimpse of this thing and started cackling madly. It may, however, very easily wind up as bad as that Cosette book from the 1980s. If interested, you can find it either on Gallica or on Google books.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”