Yellow passport details

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
CC21106

Yellow passport details

Postby CC21106 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Yellow passport. Look at the detail they put into something you see for only a few seconds. Even the period handwriting.
Attachments
yellow passport 2.jpg
yellow passport 2.jpg (83.8 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
yellow passport top.jpg
yellow passport top.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Morbidmuch_

Re: Yellow passport details

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:49 pm

I know right! So cool. I can understand people not liking the movie, but you can't say they didn't go to great trouble to get so many details right. (I'm not even going to mention how cool it is they built the barricade for real. That's method acting right there)
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm sure I've seen pictures of the stage one which has a surprising amount of detail for something that gets torn up each night.

EDIT: Yep, here's one from the 2nd Broadway revival: https://www.instagram.com/p/xEz-u1i--B/
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:38 am

Acaila wrote:I'm sure I've seen pictures of the stage one which has a surprising amount of detail for something that gets torn up each night.

EDIT: Yep, here's one from the 2nd Broadway revival: https://www.instagram.com/p/xEz-u1i--B/

Interesting! It's identical to the one in the movie. I bet they printed many thousands. Wouldn't that be a cool souvenir.

Making it in the first place would have been a fun project for a researcher. Locating all those different signatures, getting people who do old-fashioned handwriting to write them--or photographing them from surviving passports and photoshopping them in--No, there was no Photoshop back then--it would have to be all done the hard way. And making the location/date stamps too.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:53 am

Stamped with the Digne stamp.No date, just location. Looks like it might say 5 Octobre 1815 in the handwritten section.
Attachments
yellow passport with stamp.jpg
yellow passport with stamp.jpg (73.46 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I think I touched that subject before. But here's the evolution of the yellow ticket-of-leave.

Passierschein_Requisite_Broadway_CW_TM.jpg
Passierschein_Requisite_Broadway_CW_TM.jpg (185.85 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

The stage prop since basically the beginning. This one is signed by Colm Wilkinson and Terrence Mann-sadly not mine. Notice the wrong date! All paper stage props from London and Broadway were in French until recently.

Passierschein_Requisite_Duisburg.jpg
Passierschein_Requisite_Duisburg.jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 1396 times

This is a stage-used and therefore torn Duisburg, Germany production prop from my collection. Thick paper, correct date, less style. Pretty basic. All paper props from Duisburg are in German.

Passierschein Filmprop 05.jpg
Passierschein Filmprop 05.jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

This is an actual (!) passport. I think fellow member Trompe_la_Mort dug this up somewhere. I'm convinced this very one was used to create the movie passport, as the signatures, markings and aging are similar in pretty much every way.

Continued...
Last edited by Auf die Barrikaden on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Passierschein Filmprop 01.JPG
Passierschein Filmprop 01.JPG (59.39 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

Passierschein Filmprop 02.JPG
Passierschein Filmprop 02.JPG (30.71 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

The movie passport. These photos are from the ebay auction of the signed prop. The amount of detail is superb. The complete route Valjean has to follow to Pontarliet! Sadly only the front page was recreated in the "From Stage to Screen" replica. Would have loved the whole thing.

Passierschein 04.jpg
Passierschein 04.jpg (204.24 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

As Acaila said, the stage passport was changed sometime in 2014/15. I've seen a glimpse of it in a London brochure first. This photo shows my Broadway prop. They created a hybrid of the original stage and the movie passport. Strangely, the former incorrect date on the stage part was altered-again incorrect to 1810. The backside is empty, no route.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Postby 23623 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:58 am

This is amazing! Thank you for the pictures, CC, Acaila and Auf die Barrikaden!

Off-topic, but I've read it somewhere (probably here) that they used to write all kinds of stuff on the pamphlets the students distribute, e.g. "Down with Lamarque", "Lamarque is dead" or something like that. :lol: Wondering if there's any picture of that. I don't know how the actors manage to keep a straight face on stage...if it were me I would probably burst out laughing.
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 am

Wow, look at that! I should have knows that somebody here would have The Real Thing :)

Who would have thought there'd be different versions --and all the detail that nobody's going to see except obsessed people. (heh!)

The actual passport is fascinating. I see some differences: It is from "Le Havre" instead of "Toulon," and somebody has marked out Le Havre and written in Cherbourg. And instead of AU NOM DU ROI it has AU NOM DU GOUVERNEMENT. (Going to go inspect it closer). What does that say about its time period? The rest being the same. I wonder how many old passports there are in French museums and archives. A bunch, I'll bet. So I reckon they got the one closest to the right time and type to copy from. And there are a couple of lines below the line with the date on the JVJ passport. I can see "de Republique francaise" but can't make out the rest. The water spot is identical to JVJ's, and I really would like to have been there when the photo-reproducer created the new "old" one.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:26 am

It's fascinating to see in Auf's closeup of the passport all the details like hair color, beard color (!), height, eye color (yeux verts, but Hugh Jackman's look brown to me). And he was supposed to end up somewhere on "18 Novembre 1815", where, apparently, he has to report in. Strange they should just turn these guys loose on foot to get to where they were going--and how was that destination decided?

In the book if I remember right he doesn't tear up his passport--but it never reappears after he becomes M. Madeleine. Is that right? He doesn't keep it as a souvenir; that would really be dangerous. Hugo kind of skims over how he gets to stay in M.-sur-M. without papers.

..."a man, a stranger, had established himself in the town..." "It appears that on the very day when he made his obscure entry into the little town of M. sur M., just at nightfall, on a December evening, knapsack on back and thorn club in hand, a large fire had broken out in the town-hall. This man had rushed into the flames and saved, at the risk of his own life, two children who belonged to the captain of the gendarmerie; this is why they had forgotten to ask him for his passport."

And just never remember to. Okay. He's all cleaned up by the time he gets there. He had to have found some place to transform himself, get shaved, get some decent workmen's clothes, and so on. (Getting OT here., but to return to passports:) At some point he gets another passport, in the name of M. Madeleine, because when he's wondering whether to go save Champmathieu, "He drew from his secretary a pocket-book which contained several bank-notes and the passport of which he had made use that same year when he went to the elections."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:34 pm

23623 wrote:This is amazing! Thank you for the pictures, CC, Acaila and Auf die Barrikaden!

Off-topic, but I've read it somewhere (probably here) that they used to write all kinds of stuff on the pamphlets the students distribute, e.g. "Down with Lamarque", "Lamarque is dead" or something like that. :lol: Wondering if there's any picture of that. I don't know how the actors manage to keep a straight face on stage...if it were me I would probably burst out laughing.

And again my collection can be helpful. :) As I said until recently the paper props were written in French. These are from Broadway, 1990s:

Prop package 01.JPG
Prop package 01.JPG (241.44 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

Duisburg production had these pamphlets in German:
Flugblaetter Studenten Duisburg.jpg
Flugblaetter Studenten Duisburg.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

And these are the recent London/Broadway ones:

Flugblaetter Studenten Broadway 2015 k.jpg
Flugblaetter Studenten Broadway 2015 k.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

The Duisburg and the recent London flyers contain the exact same text. Maybe there was a flyer in English already in the 80s/90s I do not know of.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Cool, Auf! That looks like Liberty Leading the People printed on there--the Amis would have been familiar with the painting.

Did I OT write about William B. Travis's taste in literature? Seems like I did but here it is again. Commander of the Alamo--26 years old, and loved romantic stories of famous last stands, etc. Journalism was pretty good at that time and he undoubtedly knew about 1830 and 1832, probably read about them with great avidity. Then he got to Do It Himself and get himself killed for a grand cause. He must have been ecstatic.Travis's letter from the Alamo: a window into that state of mind. https://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewit ... vtext.html

CC21106

This is where I should have put the yellow passport pictures

Postby CC21106 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Sorry about that.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 pm

No big deal, I've moved the original and merged this into it.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Acaila wrote:No big deal, I've moved the original and merged this into it.
Thank you!

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”