Trials and lawsuits in the 1830s

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
SpiritOfDawn

Trials and lawsuits in the 1830s

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 am

Hey everyone,

still working on that weird fic of mine...

does one of you have any good source for the processes and times involved in lawsuits at the time of the 1830s revolution? I've been nosing around for a while now, and all I find is snippets. From what I gathered I think that

- usually trials followed the accusation pretty quickly (a few days, typically)
- defense attourneys were allowed, but it was the accused's responsibility to find one and bring him up to speed, to pay him, etc
- both sides could call and question witnesses (not sure if something like cross-witnessing was allowed?) but it was the accused's responsibility to inform "his" witnesses about the trial, which could be set on short notice.

I am not sure on the source of all this stuff... it was more of a nosing around in various places and catching a feel of it...

can anyone of you confirm or contradict or give me some additional trivia?

Thanks already!
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Trials and lawsuits in the 1830s

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 am

I'm pretty sure about the first part; Charles Jeanne's trial was held pretty soon after the 1832 barricades.

What little I know of trials is from reading Stendhal, and it runs much the same way as you mentioned. But then again Stendhal's Julien was accused of attempted murder, so I'm not sure how it would play out for characters plotting insurrection.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 am

Murder is just the thing I am talking about. Nobody is getting tried for plotting any insurrection... well officially at least.
at least yet....
what was that stendhal reference?
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 am

The novel "The Red and the Black", which is set in the 1830s. Towards the end of the novel, the main character Julien tries to shoot his former lover (and he fails). He gets tried for attempted murder, and things go south.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks Aurelia, you're a gem. I'll check that out as soon as I find the time...
It's gonna be succeeded murder though in my case. But since that will take up some time in the story and I fully intend to have a number of scenes of the.trial I don't want to be too blatantly wrong about it

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 am

Successful murder? Now you have me intrigued.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am

Wanna be spoiled or wait for it? There's actually still a few chapters to wait... just lqyouting that part riht now. If you want to know I can send you a message ;-).

Bur having read the whole story up to now you are actually in a position to guess already.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 am

I prefer to be surprised. :) I like being taken off guard by your writing.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:36 am

Hihihi.
Okay then, I'll leave you to wonder *grins*
I'll just do my research in silence...

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 am

Good luck with it!

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”