Moths

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Gervais

Moths

Postby Gervais » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:56 am

Moths!
Zelle wanted some moth knowledge, so here's a pool of what the Internet turns up for moths from Paris.
Book on types of moths in Europe: http://books.google.com/books?id=QdbiAG ... is&f=false
The first four that come up for Paris are Phaelana Geometra Fulvostriata, Phaelana Geometra Brunneata, Phaelana Fulvicans, and Phaelana Strigata. Google pulls up nothing for the first two or the last one, which isn't too surprising seeing as they're all nomen dubium and have probably been renamed or found to be part of a larger species since...1920 or before. :|

Print that includes Phalaena Strigata, which is listed as a moth in the previous thing but as a butterfly here. http://www.bridgemanart.com/asset/14412 ... 22%3A17%7D

That's all that I could find for moths that were definitely around Paris. However, we we go broader into Europe, we now have the Gypsy Moth as an option also. I can't find anything saying that it wasn't in France, so it's an option for Combeferre's attention as well. The Puss Moth could be a possibility too, but it mostly sticks in heavily wooded areas.

There's more possibilities, especially if you're looking at moths that aren't specifically from France, but that's a decent start I think.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Moths

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 am

Fascinating. If only we could find books that Combeferre might actually have been looking at?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Most books that would be from 1800 to 1832 are only available as real books and not Internet-accessible ones, but there's some that come up.

The Development of the Wing Scales and Their Pigment in Butterflies and Moths (page 209) is available, and it's less of types of moths and more of what it says on the tin.

There's also the Book of Butterlies, Sphinxes, and Moths, which is probably mostly moths found in the UK but could work, also.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Who has been raiding Mabeuf's bookcase?
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Have you read that fanfic in which Combeferre -I think- collects and draws insects and Jehan gets angry with him because he first kills them? It was amazing.
(Actually, is this the reason why you posted this?)

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Little Cozelma wrote:Have you read that fanfic in which Combeferre -I think- collects and draws insects and Jehan gets angry with him because he first kills them? It was amazing.
(Actually, is this the reason why you posted this?)

I haven't, actually. It started because Zelle asked for the scientific name of moths Combeferre would see, and...this happened.

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Achso!
If I ever come across that fic, I'll let you know which one I mean. It's really worth reading!

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Little Cozelma wrote:Achso!
If I ever come across that fic, I'll let you know which one I mean. It's really worth reading!

Alright, then. :D

General information, now:
The Atlas Moth: http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/5073 ... atlas-moth
They live is Southeast Asia, mostly, and probably wouldn't make it in France. He's still probably heard of them, though.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I know which fic you're talking about Cozelma, and it isn't mine, though mine has a similar feel to it. :)
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”