A Descriptive Road-Book of France

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
deHavilland

A Descriptive Road-Book of France

Postby deHavilland » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:18 pm

So, several days of diligently - ahurr, pardon the pun - searching up travel routes between Paris and the southern towns that Hugo cites as our amis' homes, I finally encountered Reichard's "A Descriptive Road-Book of France" and thought to share. Written conveniently in 1829 by Heinrich August O. Reichard, it's intended as a travel guide for visitors coming to France from England, but contains pretty much everything you might need for your 19th Century Ami roadtrip, whether it's home for Christmas or to spend the summer in the countryside. Additionally, there's some excellent stuff about living in France in 1829; how much rent and fuel costs, as well as taxes, charts of relative expenses for various things, etc.

Available here as a free ebook: http://books.google.ca/books?id=Iz2Ae5zEldYC&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=french+diligence+coach+Toulouse&source=bl&ots=QMRW753Dff&sig=_SxNA5QVPmQya1Tm--HsUClHn10&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-n0gUdjfOoX29gTTi4DIDA&ved=0CEwQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

A Quick Breakdown
Pgs 1 - 7: A description of what the traveler ought to bring with as far as money is concerned, in order to cover any sudden expenditures. Also features a handy breakdown of French currency/worth against the British pound c. 1829.
Pgs 7 - 9: Luggage, how much, what kind, everythin' you need to know 'bout luggage. And also the conversion between British weights and French weights.
Pgs 10 - 20: Fares and specific information about traveling from England; what time coaches/boats leave at, how to get directly to Paris.
Pgs 20 - 21: Duty (and tipping).
Pgs 22 - 24: French Inns, how much they cost, what to expect from them, etc.
Pgs 25 - 33: Methods of travel; Posting (and how it's done), Cabriolets, Diligences, Traveling With the Mail
Pgs 34 - 46: The Diligence Directory; the exact addresses of the diligence offices for each coach traveling to the city of your choosing, as well as a list of the more principle diligence routes.
Pg 47: Traveling via canal, traveling on horseback, traveling by personal carriage.
Pgs 48 - 49:The expenses of living in France, rent, taxes, fuel, how much necessities (bread, meat, etc.) cost. French climate.
Pgs 50 - 520: Routes from Paris; a description of where each coach stops between cities, where they depart from, as well as useful descriptive information about each major town in France from an 1829 perspective. This includes comparisons of prices to what they are in Paris, population, the homeless, notable buildings and sights, etc.
Pgs 521 - 565: A clickable index, you can select which town you're most interested in seeing and go directly to that page within the rather hefty "Routes from Paris" section.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

MamzelleCombeferre

Re: A Descriptive Road-Book of France

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:58 pm

:shock: You are my hero! This is going to help so much for the next chapter of Grantaire fic!! :D
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm

This is amazing. :shock: Thank you so very much. Wow. Now I'm caught up in wondering just how many more things like this exist that I don't know about yet...
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Everything exists, it's just a matter of finding the right question and hitting on the appropriate search terms in Google. But I'm glad to have helped out! All the Les Amis road trip fics, now!
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 am

Thank you! I was worrying about how to have Theodule describe one of his road trips---yes, a little bit later than when the book was published, but I doubt the roads changed much in that span of time.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”