Napoleonic Costumes at Malmaison

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Gervais

Napoleonic Costumes at Malmaison

Postby Gervais » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Hello, all. So, I found an app that showcases most, if not all, of the costume collection at the Malmaison. (I'm not sure how large the actual collection is, so I can't say.) Basically, it shows you the costumes from all angles and gives you a history of who wore it, when, and where, and the app itself is free.

So, since I can't find a non-app website with this stuff on it, I was wondering if anyone wanted screencaps of it? Copyright should be okay because it's being used for Educational Purposes. Just say so if you do.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Gervais

Re: Napoleonic Costumes at Malmaison

Postby Gervais » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Okay, I jumped the guns a bit and started capping, because the app is very glitchy and occasionally refuses to load. First up we have the orange First Consul jacket owned by Napoleon.

From the Info slide on this one:
First Consul Jacket owned by Napoleon Bonaparte
Silk-lined velvet with gold and silver embroidery

This sumptuously embroidered jacket was given by the city of Lyon to the First Consul in 1800. He wore it on 18 April 1802 at the Te Deum ceremony held at the cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris after the signing of the Concordat.
Napoleon took it with him to St Helena. He gave it to the young Hortense Bertrand (daughter of an Empire general) who, when she was older, passed it on to Prince Victor Napoleon, grandson of King Jerome, Napoleon’s youngest brother.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Gervais, you are a hero. :mrgreen: This is awesome, thank you.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:07 am

Glad you like it. :mrgreen: Some more, since I'm getting tired of having to reinstall it every time the app closes.

Dress uniform jacket belonging to Major General Prince Eugene

Dark blue woollen fabric, gold embroidery
ca. 1812

Prince Eugene was the oldest son of Josephine and Alexandre de Beauharnais. He was appointed viceroy of Italy by Napoleon.
This major general’s full dress jacket, embroidered at the neck, on the facings, lapels and flaps with oak leaves and acorns closes with seven gold buttons decorated with a trophy of arms. At each shoulder there is a bar and button designed to carry epaulettes which are now lost. At the lower back, there is a garland finishing in a grenade framed by two wings and surmounted by a flame and lightning.
A yellow paper label has been sewn into the lining with a brown ink inscription stating “jacket worn by Prince Eugene in Russia”; this would have been in 1812 when he was commanding the Italian, French and Bavarian troops of the 4th Army Corps.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 am

Court dress attributed to Empress Josephine

Tulle, silver lamé
After 1810

This silk tulle dress is exquisitely embroidered with motifs of carnations and other flowers in silver thread. It is most probably an example of ‘remontage’ (refitting): the bust does not match Josephine’s measurements exactly and has almost certainly been adjusted to fit someone else. Indeed, Josephine often “reviewed” her wardrobe: once a year she would go through her closets and give away the garments she no longer wore to her entourage.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am

Napoleon's Hat (felt and silk)

And his Tricolor sash, from the Egyptian Campaign if I'm reading it right. (The English version is way glitchy, so I tried the French)

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”