More questions about Paris geography!

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
moderntrickster

More questions about Paris geography!

Postby moderntrickster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 pm

I am, like the stereotype so often perpetrated about men, absolutely hopeless with maps. Even if I could find a period map, I'm not sure I'd even know where to begin! As I've never been to Paris and I know there are a few people here who have (and who live in the area?), I thought it was worth a shot!

Just for background, I just got to the section in Strangers: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth Century on prostitution, which led me to a couple sites that have been sitting in my bookmarks for a while, and now it's become an all-day research fest. So I was just wondering...

How far are Champs-Élysées, the Place Saint-Michel/rue des Grés, and the Île Saint-Louis (specifically the Hôtel de Lauzun) in relation to each other? Would it be possible for someone in Les Mis time to travel between them and, if so, how?

Fingers crossed that someone can help! And thank you so much in advance.
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: More questions about Paris geography!

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 pm

We have a maps thread already: http://abaisse.the-barricade.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=377&start=15. Travel could be done by carriage, foot, or omnibus. :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I still can't seem to find exactly where the Place Saint-Michel is, though I found a modern map that seems to more or less pinpoint it. My only problem with the big omnibus map is that I can't read the street names, but I suppose that's just a matter of not going into details or mentioning cross-streets when writing, huh? XD
Last edited by moderntrickster on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 am

Replying to my own post because a friend of mine on Tumblr gave me a practical breakdown of the distance between each place, and just in case anyone else ever needs the information, I wanted to include it here...

Depends on where on the Champs-Élysées you're starting from. If from de Gaulle - Étoile, it's about an hour or so walking to P S-M. From C-É to Hôtel de Lauzun, it's even further, about an hour and a half. However, they're all basically walking in a straight line and crossing the right bridge.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Replying waaaay after the fact to say: beware 19th century place names! The Place Saint-Michel your friend is referring to was actually called the Place du Pont-Saint-Michel in the 1830s. The Place Saint-Michel that Hugo is talking about when he describes the Café Musain has been renamed the Place Edmond Rostand, and is way down at the eastern corner of the Jardin du Luxembourg, deep in the Latin Quarter. It's at least a 15-minute walk south from the Île Saint-Louis, and not at all on the way from the Champs-Élysées.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”