The June Uprising 1832

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Auf die Barrikaden

The June Uprising 1832

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 pm

The Battle of the Cloitre Saint-Merri, June 6 1832

As we are in the 180th year since the uprising of June 5-6, 1832 I came across some information about the real uprising and it's connection to the novel. See for yourself:

Period English newspaper article: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4196558

Series of French blog posts dedicated to Les Mis and a chronology of the uprising, with music and many pictures: http://remiposeidon.skyrock.com/tags/dW ... ables.html

Too bad I don't speak French, it looks really good.

Also in a recent discussion the question arose wether the whole incident was deliberate action, a coincidence or merely a big mistake...
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Auf die Barrikaden

Re: The June Uprising 1832

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Friedrich Engels, a famous German democrat and the colleague and friend of Karl Marx (founder of communism) published a newspaper article about the June Uprising in Paris 1848 in which he also mentions the 1832 rebellion: http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/wo ... /07/01.htm

Engels was very active in the German revolution of 1848, becoming "Inspector of the Barricades" in Elberfeld in May 1849, which is roughly 30km from my home. He wrote alot about insurrectional tactics afterwards.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Engels and 1832 barricades?! Oh WHY could I not have found this when I was doing my Marxist literary theory essay on Les Mis :(
(and Engels is a too much forgotten epic dude!)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 am

Friedrich Engels??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now I HAVE to do some serious nerdy research on this!!
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

I found out something else that seems all the more poignant now - Louis Pasteur (born 1822) was around Gavroche's age during the June Uprising of 1832 *smiles sadly*

Pasteur grew up in Arbois (near Lyon), which instilled a strong sense of patriotism in him. In 1834, when the republic was claimed at Lyon, the town revolted against the government, and heavy-handed tactics were used to subdue the people. Two major uprisings took place here - in 1831 and 1834 (known as the Canut revolts) - when black flags were used as a symbol of protest (in contrast to the red flag used in the June Uprising of 1832).

Red & Black, anyone?
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu May 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Charles Jeanne: http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad15 ... anne32.jpg

Flailing madly right now. I was trying to find out more about him just the other day after re-reading the 1832 section of "Barricades" and lamenting the lack of information I was coming up with. Even just knowing how old he was is something. What book is this from?
I really must get the book with his recollection of the barricades, even if I have to sit with my big French dictionary and translate every other word :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

saminana

Postby saminana » Thu May 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Acaila wrote:
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Charles Jeanne: http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad15 ... anne32.jpg

Flailing madly right now. I was trying to find out more about him just the other day after re-reading the 1832 section of "Barricades" and lamenting the lack of information I was coming up with. Even just knowing how old he was is something. What book is this from?
I really must get the book with his recollection of the barricades, even if I have to sit with my big French dictionary and translate every other word :D

the same just happened to me....
if French is the problem maybe I can help... but only maybe...
My problem is: how can I get the text....
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 pm

saminana wrote:
Acaila wrote:

the same just happened to me....
if French is the problem maybe I can help... but only maybe...
My problem is: how can I get the text....

It was recently published under the title "À cinq heures nous serons tous morts!" and, unfortunately, it's still quite expensive. Especially if you don't live in France. *sighs wistfully* I live just down the road from a university library with a fantastic French history collection; maybe they'll acquire it someday...
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Acaila wrote:

Oops, I never answered your question. This is a scan from "Paris au temps des Misérables", the most resourceful in depth look in French. More scans here: http://s931.photobucket.com/user/sophie ... t=4&page=1

Advice: Save it, back it up, print it, keep it forever, as the hard copy IS TOO DAMN RARE AND THE PRICES TOO DAMN HIGH. :mrgreen:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Ooooh what an awesome resource! Thanks :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Heinrich Heine on the June rebellion: http://tenlittlebullets.tumblr.com/post ... -june-1832

Love it!

Dame Grise

Postby Dame Grise » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 pm

I think that picture is originally from Procès des vingt-deux accusés du cloitre Saint-Méry... I am probably going to try to get a copy of the new book, A cinq heures... by inter-library loan. There are 2 copies in my state, but both are at universities. According to Bouchet, it's a letter Jeanne wrote to his sister from prison the year after he was convicted. Of course, it's about the barricades.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”