Literature about barricades

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Auf die Barrikaden

Literature about barricades

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Many of you have heard of or read "Barricades" by Jill Harsin: http://www.amazon.de/Barricades-Streets ... 054&sr=8-1

Plus a great read is this pdf, "Barricades and Boulevards" by Carl Douglas: http://www.interstices.auckland.ac.nz/f ... ouglas.pdf

However Mark Traugott recently published a true standard about the barricade and it's history. And he kicks off with the insurrection of 1832! Get a copy of "The Insurgent Barricade": http://www.amazon.de/Insurgent-Barricad ... 243&sr=1-1
I can highly recommend it.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Col.Despard

Re: Literature about barricades

Postby Col.Despard » Fri May 27, 2011 4:48 am

Oh, I like you! You come bearing book recommendations! I haven't read the Traugott book, so that will be a priority order.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 pm

Stupid library doesn't carry Traugott, so I've recommended it for purchase. Waiting to hear back if they'll buy it. I recommended Harsin months ago, but they decided it was, "Of unimportant historical interest." and wouldn't buy it. Grr...so I'm going to buy it for myself for birthday.

But that pdf is fascinating! Thank you for sharing!

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Ooh! That's a new one from Traugott, isn't it?
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 pm

2010 is quite new indeed. ;) One of the appendices is a database of 155 barricade events, from 157X to 1898. I was fortunate enough to know one more and told him so via email, which he encourages in the book. Also he answered some questions I had.

@C.Feuilly: Have you tried interlending? Many libraries offer that service.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 pm

I've tried - my library has an aversion to interlending, for some reason. Whenever I try to order it, it never shows up, and the snippy lady behind the desk is no help. But it wouldn't help me anyways, because the database says no one has it. But thanks for the suggestion! And the library says they WILL buy Traugott, so I'm first in line for it. :)

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Citizeness Feuilly wrote:Stupid library doesn't carry Traugott, so I've recommended it for purchase. Waiting to hear back if they'll buy it. I recommended Harsin months ago, but they decided it was, "Of unimportant historical interest." and wouldn't buy it.

Heathans!

My library is the biggest in the region and usually pretty good, but it does not have a single book on either Robespierre or Saint-Just and just the one (from the days of WWI!) on Danton! Even my university's library is in the same sorry state!

I am agog! And aghast.
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Tue May 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Yes, my library is the best one for about 1000 miles. And they say that barricades aren't of important historical interest. Heathens indeed! :)

My library's a bit of a step up from that - they have a biography of Robespierre (Fatal Purity), nothing on Saint-Just, and they have Giant of the Revolution, and Danton (the film). I've taken all of those out about 100 times each, and I'm the only one who ever does. It's great - but I wish they'd expand their revolutionary literature! I had to bug them for months before they'd agree to buy A Place of Greater Safety. I'm so excited that they're buying Traugott - even if it will be months before it arrives. :D

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 pm

For those who are able to read French, this might also be of interest: "Le Roi et les barricades: un histoire des 5 et 6 juin 1832" by Thomas Bouchet
Is cited in the Traugott book as containing images and even a map.

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm currently reading "Barricades" and once I'm finished I think I might have to look into some of these. Unfortunately, my library (and most others around here) has a very limited selection of books and probably doesn't have it. For goodness sakes they don't even have an unabridged copy of les mis.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Auguste Blanqui, "Manual for an Armed Insurrection", 1866: http://www.marxists.org/reference/archi ... tions1.htm

Blanqui had a role in almost every insurrection from 1827 onwards. This manual represents his experiences and his frustrations about the typical conduct of la guerre des rues.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”