Professional LM Illustrations

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Col.Despard

Professional LM Illustrations

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 am

Yes, I know I gripe about this all the time - the lack of decent Amis illustrations. The site owner of Pont-au-Change, Arlene Harris, kindly gives permission for people to copy and paste over, so here we go...once I've rifled through her collection, I'll add some I've copied myself. Feel free to add favourites. And captions.

90% of what I have is Enjolras, but is this not the most awesome Joly and Bossuet?

ETA: one assumes Bossuet is wearing a hairpiece.
Last edited by Col.Despard on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Col.Despard

Re: Professional LM Illustrations

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 am

We all pretty much seem to see the same Grantaire in our heads - scruffy, unshaven, dishevelled (and, um, many of us add "rather sexy" in contradiction to the book, but that's because we're fangirls). This artist takes a different track, and funnily enough, I can see where it works...

Meet Debonair, Man-About-Town (or would-be Man-About-Town) Grantaire:

Who is a brilliant contrast to her Enjolras, who is truly statue-like, upright, and all rigid angles:

Why hallo, Antinous/Apollo.

Put em together and...

Methinks the artist here, like some of the rest of us, drew inspiration from that other Les Amis pic.

Anyway, I can see Enjolras being all unbending here (except in that scene he's actually smiling at Grantaire and not quite so rigid), but I'm not sure if Grantaire's gesture and final words were quite so...um...Drunk After Dinner Speaker Proposing a Toast:

"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am

Speaking of death scenes:

Not bad - as 19th century illustrations (or any professional illustrations of Enjolras) go. He almost looks defiant. Or "ewwww". I can't decide which. Can't believe it's by the same bloke that does the dreadful "Neanderthal Leader of the Geezer ABCs", either.

I'm partial to this one, although Enjolras looks like a petulant schoolboy who is pissed off that he was caught bunking off, and Grantaire looks like he wandered into the scene and isn't quite sure what's going on.

And we know and love this one:

Last edited by Col.Despard on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am

ooh! I'll add some, too!

Patron-Minette

Parnasse being pwned

This is my favourite illustration ever.

That second illustration (E/R) makes me choke up.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:10 am

Everyone's favourite game: Guess the Ami

Based on other illustrations by this artist, I'm guessing our chap with the fairish long hair is Enjolras. Looking almost jovial. Possibly lightheaded from passing through the time device that aged him by 20 years or so.

Guy with pipe looking as if he's just wandering away to drain the lizard...um...Feuilly? Guy in hat that is surprising accurate for Romantics of the era...Prouvaire? Guy leaning on Enjolras' chair looking like he's sharing a bit of a chuckle with him...um...I don't know, could be Courfeyrac. Which would render earnest guy with sharpish features Combeferre.

I know it's been said before but, um, Enjolras really does look like he's putting the moves on Marius.

Okay...Gavroche is obvious...Guy with long hair that looks like he tried to henna it and it all went ugly might be Enjolras...otherwise...well...

Enjolras with Random Students. His hair looks pretty damn fabulous, it must be conceded.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 am

Parnasse being pwnd by Val Jean - AND SEXY! Srsly. How hot is he as a mugger? I love that coat. Really, really love that coat.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:32 am

Love this next section: Action!Enjolras

Enjolras having a word with LeCabuc:

The caption on Pont-au-Change suggests this is Valjean, but the actual caption for the illustration, and the subject matter, indicate it's Enjolras about to manage the issue of the Artillary officer:

Enjolras, being Made of Awesome, can totally keep a batallion at bay. Single handed. Using his carbine as a singlestick. At least I assume this is Enjolras - his hair looks a bit too un-brilliant...

Now THIS is certainly Enjolras - although he seems to have grown to Hulk-like proportions, the better to keep that batallion at bay:

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:23 am

I do love that angular Enjolras ...

... especially because, going by the amount of illustrations featuring him (compared with the amount of Illustrations Featuring Enjolras by other individual artists), the artist made one for just about every single page he is on.

A diabolic Bamatabois ...

... doing some damage to the reputation of striped trousers.

And one of my favourite Mariuses of all time:

You could discern his approximate mood even if he didn't have a face.

It's a shame many of the Bayards are not available in better quality, as they have a tendency to be pretty cool - here's Cambronne:

And look at that "Argot" cover! I imagine this is what Charles Keeping originally went for when he went ... where he went.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Parnasse being pwned

Heh, Montparnasse looks like he was just bitchslapped by Valjean.

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Here be s'more!

The caption for this one was "One of these is not like the other..." and I nearly DIED.

I think this one is rather cute!

This is the Gorbeau slum. I saw the rose and, again, nearly had a fit of laughter.

A studly lookin' 'Parnasse.

looking gleefully annoying.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:31 pm

[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 pm

I like "The Sleepless Night" a lot, except for the evil Marius mustache.

Screw you, Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. Marius is gonna make out with Cosette and he doesn't care whose corpse he steps over!

This has always been one of my favorites.

Cosette looks like she really likes what she's reading there.

I like all of this Jeanniot's pictures a lot.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Omg this is the best thread!

I love the one of Valjean LECTURING Montparnasse, and Montparnasse is just looking wistfully over at his hat like "haaaat... 8("

Also Éponine being all 8D I CAN READ DID YOU KNOW I CAN READ HAVE I MENTIONED THIS and Marius being all B| B| B|

Pffft omg.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Looking forward to going through all those, Marianne! The first link worked fine, but I couldn't click on the second or third...will try again later or go to your site.

Ulkis, I snorted with inappropriate laughter at the idea of Marius and Cosette making out over a mound of corpses.

Gleefully annoying Éponine and *highly* irritated Marius is a good one.

You could do an entire collection of sulky, broody Marius pics alone. Without difficulty. I love that whole section on Pont-au-Change where all the illustrations of him visiting his father's grave are grouped: "Oh, come on Marius - people will think you're obsessed".

On further thought, I realise the henna-red chap in the gang following pink-shirted Gavroche above is carrying a sword...so *not* Enjolras. He doesn't really look like a worker, so he's not Feuilly either. Is it a version of Courfeyrac? Or just an amalgam of all of them into general "student".

Yes, I love that abundance of angular Enjolrai too, Frederique...except that in some of the smaller images he looks like a glam rocker with lipstick and eyeliner. Including the final Grantaire-Enjolras pic.

And how dare Bambatois drag the good name of striped pants through the mire! I'm sure Courfeyrac redeemed it, though.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:31 pm

A couple of cartoon covers I've found along the way:

How obsessed am I? Well, obsessed enough that when I see a pretty, long-haired blond/e, I assume it's Enjolras rather than, y'know, Fantine or something. Of course this one is Fantine, and Enjolras is...less pretty.

WTF is with the flag? Did they decide to redesign the tricolour, leaving out Bourbon white?

Love the way Gavroche is taking centre stage. A boy and his elephant! Gavroche calls him "Stampy".

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”