A taste of real 1830s student republicanism

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Col.Despard

Re: A taste of real 1830s student republicanism

Postby Col.Despard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 am

That's what I was wondering about, between4walls...what course might his life have taken if he'd been with the Polytechnique and had been able to fight as they did, rather than locked up? Might have died...or might have found an outlet for that strain of Republicanism and possibly not have come into such intense clashes with authority figures? Although there would still have been the post-1830 let down and disillusionment.

The Marlowe comparison occured to me as well - what with the rumours about the real reason for HIS death. It's been a while since I read much about his death, but weren't there rumours of it all being a set-up to get him out of the way, and some question over the identity of the female object of the duel and the dynamics of the people involved? I suppose it's impossible for someone young and gifted (and sometimes on the outs with authority or with a shadowy side) to die violently and there NOT be rumours.

Face palm smack....this is BRILLIANT! We've debated before over what happened between the scene where we see members of the society talking and when Enjolras is scrounging around for people to do tasks and has to scrape the bottom of the barrel and take up Grantaire's offer...what if one of the students seeking advice on duelling in that scene is Galois, because 1832 wasn't the first duel he'd fought? Although pushing it out to May 1832 is a bit late for the "Enjolras and his Lieutenant's" scene, conveniently enough Galois was imprisioned through that early part of 1832 so it fits well! Enjolras couldn't call on Galois as he was in gaol.

I won't encroach on any of your ideas, Ravariel...this is all just too half-baked from me anyway. Hope you write the story!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~trothman/galois.html This is my favorite site, very comprehensive, very well-researched. Apparently there are some three or four biographies of Galois floating around, all rather old, and the author of this article has looked into them all thoroughly, done compare/contrast, stuff like that.
On the matter of his death, it's been suggested that the whole duel was set up by royalists who wanted him out of the way (this theory also blames royalists for the time he was almost shot through a window while in prison) but since the man with whom he dueled, Pescheux d'Herbinville, (he left in his d'! Courfeyrac would be so displeased!) had been a known republican for years, it's unlikely, though interesting. Other people turn the conspiracy theory the opposite way and suggest that the republicans had become suspicious of Galois, so decided to have him killed. But I haven't found any evidence for that either, and it just seems a little ludicrous after two prison terms, etc.
Col.Despard wrote:He'd have made a wonderful Ami, what between nerding it out with Combeferre, getting all uppity Republican with Courfeyrac and then going on the razz with him, Grantaire, Joly and Bossuet. Even Enjolras would approve.

Though I would suggest keeping him away from Bahorel, since they're both rather rash and could get into some major trouble--the legend of him failing his exams because he threw an eraser at the professor made me think of Bahorel when I first came across it. (But he really did have an excuse for being worked up--his father had committed suicide a few days previous and there had been a disturbance at the funeral.) And I don't know how he'd get along with R, though since he writes in his letters that he hates alcohol and drinks it "holding his nose." :wink:
Another reason I want to put him in a story: he and his (republican!) family were known for throwing out sarcastic rhymed couplets in political conversations. Which would just be fun, and I'm sure some of the Amis could respond in kind.
And go ahead and explore the idea if you'd like, Colonel--my thoughts are still pretty sketchy as well! Vivid bits and pieces, mostly, rather than any actual plotline.
I'll try to assemble more later.
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

Patria

Postby Patria » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:32 am

Oh, wow. How neat. Scrounging all the information I can get about the "real" Amis is one of my favorite nerdy-fannish-research pastimes. What a find!
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:22 am

The letters of Georg Buchner- the Danton's Death/Woyzeck playwright, who was mostly involved with revolutionary groups in Germany, but lived for a while in Strausbourg, Alsace- include this little episode from ~December 4,1831, relating to Strasbourg students' reactions to the Polish uprising and showing the mechanics of a (non-Parisian) student demonstration in that era that went off successfully. Plus, Lamarque's aide-de-camp shows up.

"When the rumour spread that Ramorino would pass through Strasbourg, the students immediately started collecting money and decided to go out to meet him with a black flag. The news finally reached here that Ramorino would arrive in the afternoon with generals Schneider and Langermann. We gathered at once in the academy, but when we tried to march through the city gate, the officer in charge, who had received orders from the government not to let us pass with the flag, had the guard take up position with their guns to prevent us going through. But we forced our way through all the same, and three or four hundred of us stationed ourselves by the great bridge over the Rhine. We were joined by the National Guard. Ramorino finally appeared, accompanied by a mass of people on horseback; a student makes a speech, which Ramorino replies to, a National Guardsman does likewise. The National Guard gather round his carriage and start to pull it; we place ourselves with the flag at the head of the procession, which is preceded by a large band. Thus we march into the city, accompanied by a huge mass of people all bawling the Marseillaise and Carmagnole; shouts ring out on every side: 'Vive la liberte! Vive Ramorino! A bas les ministres! A bas le juste milieu!' The city itself is all lit up, at the windows are ladies waving handkerchiefs, and Ramorino is led in triumph to the inn, where our man bearing the flag hands it over to him with the wish that this flag of mourning might soon turn into Poland's flag of freedom. Thereupon Ramorino appears on the balcony, expresses his thanks, there are shouts of Vivat!- and the comedy is done."

The same month Strabourg is (according to Buchner's letters) put in a state of siege "because of the troubles in Holland" (fallout from Belgium's 1830 revolution and independence from the Netherlands).

The three military men mentioned were all generals in the Polish uprising (Schneider was actually named Sznajde). All three had served under Napoleon and Sznajde and Ramorino would be involved in 1848. Langermann had been General Lamarque's aide-de-camp and after the failure of the Polish uprising joined the Belgian army till 1851, then moved to Paris.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”