Stephen Sondheim!

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rose In Misery

Re: Stephen Sondheim!

Postby Rose In Misery » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm seeing Company tomorrow at Southwark playhouse! Have heard it's very good. Any fans?

I know lots of the songs already e.g. Being Alive, The Ladies Who Lunch, Not Getting married etc. since I recently borrowed my grandfather's extensive Sondheim collection.
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:33 am

It IS really good. Very witty, lots of genuinely interesting characters, surprisingly profound. To be fair, I've only ever watched the Broadway recording that's on YouTube, but I enjoyed that a lot. I don't know how good the Southwark production is, I've heard mixed things, but I'm sure you'll like the piece and I hope it will get across on stage.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:46 am

Eppie Sue, thanks a lot for that interview!

Company is another wonderful show! If you can put your hands on the 2006 Broadway revival DVD with Raul Esparza, it's amazing. The concept is kind of the same as what they did with Sweeney Todd a few years before: all the actors are also the musicians... it's amazing! Not Getting Married Today and The Ladies Who Lunch are the highlights of this version (IMHO).

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:43 am

Yes, I've watched quite a few scenes of the 2006 production on youtube and thought it was fabulous. This production doesn't have the cast playing their own instruments (to my knowledge) but it should be good. I've just realised that I know one of the founders of Southwark Playhouse, so if he's had anything to do with it, it should be really really good.
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 am

Sooo....in this year's Olivier awards, our dear Sondheim got a Special Award for his lifetime achievement.

And I'm not surprised as to who won for best actor in a musical :)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 am

Just read the winners list and I'm so thrilled! I wish I could have seen the gala, if anyone knows where to find it online... I only found a few interviews on youtube.

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:54 am

[type your name] wrote:Just read the winners list and I'm so thrilled! I wish I could have seen the gala, if anyone knows where to find it online... I only found a few interviews on youtube.

It's only available on the BBC iPlayer (for one week), really, but maybe this video is already making up for it a little bit?
Stephen Sondheim makes me smile. I mean, so does David (duh), but Sondheim looks so chuffed (as does Nancy, as does Jamie Lloyd, as does Elena Roger, of course. But SONDHEIM. :mrgreen: )!

And can I just say that I was staring and pointing at the TV screen in utter shock and happiness? I still haven't recovered.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:52 am

Oh, thanks for posting this. The show is not available to North Americans on the official website, unfortunately.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:23 am

Hum, this is not Sondheim and therefore OT, but I don't think it really deserves a new thread... but speaking of David Thaxton, I was not aware that he was in Love Never Dies ?!?? Why???

ellysiar

Postby ellysiar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 am

I'm not sure why he was cast as Raoul. But, as far as I'm concerned, he can only class the show up. Because, well... it sucks. :lol:
Last edited by ellysiar on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:12 am

Actually I thought, "Oh NO...after doing so well in LM and Passion, why is he going to do *that* play?"

Well I suppose that "Love Never Dies" could at least sound tolerable with Karimloo as the Phantom and Thaxton as Raoul...
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Actually I thought, "Oh NO...after doing so well in LM and Passion, why is he going to do *that* play?"

You know, there really isn't that much else running in the West End right now to be honest.. And he's a fantastic Raoul in LND and I refuse to call this show the worst thing in the West End. Having seen it, yes, it's naturally not outstanding and fantastic, but it's still quite good and has some great moments. Sadly, that doesn't change anything about the fact that compared to other roles and productions, it IS a waste of his talent, partly because of the size of the role and partly because of the show itself. Of course, though, before the Oliviers, I would have said 'It pays the bills and keeps him on stage in the West End' but now with the win, it's very obvious to anyone that he could do far better. But, again, there aren't really that many options considering the line-up of shows.

I also think it's blatantly clear why he was cast as Raoul, so I don't see how that is a question (@ellysiar)...?!

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:50 pm

it IS a waste of his talent, partly because of the size of the role

Honestly, as much as I love Les Mis and think that it is a much better show than Love Never Dies, if it's a question of who an actor would want to play, Raoul or Enjolras, I would Raoul would be a more fun pick. And I think he gets more stagetime than Enjolras.

Love Never Dies is one of those productions that would be better if the characters had different names. But because they don't, I'm screaming, "oh come on, that character would not DO that . . . " But I think it has some good moments as well. Argh, how did I become a Love Never Dies defender? Damn you Lloyd Webber.

ellysiar

Postby ellysiar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Ulkis wrote:Love Never Dies is one of those productions that would be better if the characters had different names. But because they don't, I'm screaming, "oh come on, that character would not DO that . . . " But I think it has some good moments as well. Argh, how did I become a Love Never Dies defender? Damn you Lloyd Webber.

Well, when you think about it that way, LND does have some good songs and it really isn't the worst thing out there. And I think the only reason I dislike it is just because it's a sequel to Phantom of the Opera.

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Ulkis wrote:
it IS a waste of his talent, partly because of the size of the role

Honestly, as much as I love Les Mis and think that it is a much better show than Love Never Dies, if it's a question of who an actor would want to play, Raoul or Enjolras, I would Raoul would be a more fun pick. And I think he gets more stagetime than Enjolras.

But it's not really a question of "He's played Enjolras so Raoul is already a step up for him". Once you've played the lead in a Donmar Sondheim production and have received an Olivier, Raoul is step down. And yet, SADLY, it still remains one of the only roles out there in the West End for a performer like him - a dramatic and serious role - because what else do we have? Funny, flashy jukebox fluff. There is a massive lack of good male roles in general.

Return to “Other Musicals”