Stephen Sondheim!

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rose In Misery

Re: Stephen Sondheim!

Postby Rose In Misery » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:44 am

MSam wrote:
Michael Ball has a beautiful voice

Oh that subject, is it true he's supposed to be in the 2011 revival of Sweeney in London? :?

Him and Imelda Staunton, yes, that is the rumour. :D
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Lelia

Postby Lelia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 pm

Rose In Misery wrote:
I am really happy that it won best musical, it sounded truly amazing! While my loyalties should technically be with Les Mis, the new production couldn't hold a candle to the original.

It won! That's brilliant, it really did deserve it.

+ I'm so excited for the Sweeney revival. When I first heard Michael Ball was doing it I was a bit...unenthusiastic, because he's the last person I would have thought to cast for the role. I just find it hard to picture him as that kind of character. It's sort of growing on me now though, just because I love Michael Ball and would find it hard to hate him in any role. Plus no one will ever be able to top George Hearn so he's as good as any.
I too am impossible

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 pm

I have to say that as much as I like Michael Ball in general, I really don't think he was cast as Sweeney because he's the best actor for that role that they could find, it's rather because he's, well, Michael Ball. I, too, find it difficult to imagine him as Sweeney, but then I haven't seen or heard him in much else than Les Mis and Passion (and, well, Hairspray, but that doesn't really count), and both of those recordings are from almost 15 years ago at least. Still, I always thought he sounded too "light and fluffy" for Giorgio already (q.v. comparison between his Giorgio and David's Giorgio on the previous page), so I'm REALLY apprehensive about his Sweeney. It might just work, for all we know he may be really, really amazing, but I just ... can't picture it. It will be good to see it on stage, though, and once it comes to London, I suppose even if Michael Ball is not my kind of Sweeney he will probably have an alternate and at least an understudy with scheduled dates.

... and yes, Passion did win Best Musical at the Evening Standard Awards, which is a good sign for the Oliviers. I'm not holding my breath when it comes to the WOS Awards, really, as they're voted for by the public and there is absolutely no fanbase for this (compared to the cast of Love Never Dies, Legally Blonde, etc. and it won't stand a chance against "Hair" in terms of "Best Revival"), and the acting categories... well, Elena Roger is bound to get nominted everywhere for anything, and I'm absolutely convinced (and only very slightly biased) that of all the leading male performances this year, David's deserves "Best Actor in a Musical" the most(and this has been echoed by others), but again that would be pretty sensational what with his low profile in the West End.

ivrogne transfiguré

Postby ivrogne transfiguré » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:02 am

Re: Sweeney. As I understand it, it's been pretty much confirmed for Chichester this summer, with an expected WE transfer after that. Jury's out on Michael Ball there, I think.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:32 am

so I'm REALLY apprehensive about his Sweeney. It might just work, for all we know he may be really, really amazing, but I just ... can't picture it.

He was saying he really wanted to play it in a recent playbill.com Q and A.

I can't picture him as Sweeney either. Maybe he can sing it, but I can't see him acting it. Does Michael Ball know how doofy looking he is? :)

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 am

Oh, no no no no no no... I might be the only person on this board who doesn't like Michael Ball that much, so my opinion is worth what it's worth, but... I really can't see it. I mean, he's the guy you put on a stage knowing he's going to deliver what he has to deliver, a ''safe'' choice, but I'm looking for so much more than that in Sweeney...

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:30 am

I wouldn't call him a safe choice for Sweeney - I know exactly what you're saying in general, but I don't think you can get any sort of Sweeney Todd performance out of Michael Ball (an Anthony, back in the day, but not a Sweeney).

Of course, I've been spoiled in having two opera singers and a Shakespearean actor in the productions I loved most, so my opinion is skewed in the direction of "awesome" :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:00 am

Michael Ball as Sweeney? Really, i can't see it either, but if i was on the cool side of the Atlantic, i would LOVE to see him do the role! Even if he's not very good, it would just be great to see his take on the part!

And yes, NO ONE can top George Hearn. He's definitive, if you ask me.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Lelia

Postby Lelia » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:37 pm

To be honest, apart from my love of Epiphany, Sweeney is pretty low on the favourite character list, unless the performer does a really steller performance I tend to just switch off. I prefer the ensemble parts & the Johanna and Anthony parts.
As for Imelda Staunton, and the fact my image of Umbridge is tainted due to A Very Potter Sequel I can't really take either of them very seriously for it.
I too am impossible

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

So pleased! Can't think of anyone who deserves it more than he does.
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 am

And Elena Rogers too! And both Passion and Into the Woods are nominated for best revival of a musical... and I never would have thought Love Never Dies would get so many nominations :shock:

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 am

Yes, Elena Roger (although that was completely expected, I suppose) and also Michael Xavier for Into The Woods in the supporting category. And David. :D Oh this is so cool!

This, by the way, is the very nice and very interesting interview they did for Passion (including singing a couple of songs) at the beginning of the run. It has been uploaded to tumblr now, it was on the BBC Radio 3 website for some time.
(I can't help but think that they nominated the wrong Strallen. From all I've heard, even the LND fanatics are happy to admit that it's not exactly an Olivier performance for Summer. And Scarlett sounds just so beautiful.)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:32 pm

As much as I love Karimloo, I still have an abhorrence for LND.

But oh gosh, the interview. I am tripping out on it. Thanks for posting it!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:But oh gosh, the interview. I am tripping out on it. Thanks for posting it!

Aw. It's lovely, isn't it? The wonderful pieces they do with the piano aside, I actually found it really interesting. And it's always nice to hear performers talk about the roles and their production when you get a sense that they actually know what they're talking about, and that really comes across here.

Return to “Other Musicals”