Stephen Sondheim!

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: Stephen Sondheim!

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:32 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with you in regards to Huttlestone, Gervais. When they announced him as Jack, I had a big problem with the image of the cherubic blonde Gavroche of the Les Mis film appearing as a cherubic blonde Jack in Into the Woods. The production stills and trailer have proved that wrong and I'm very happy about it. Jack's naivite doesn't work if he's played by a small child that you expect innocence of.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:51 am

Sorry if this is an odd question, but has anyone in this thread read The String of Pearls, the original Victorian novel Sweeney Todd was based on? I've heard the musical is way better.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:52 pm

I've read it!..and the play that the musical's based on. The play and the musical are a LOT better; the book's a kind of flat, simple penny dreadful. It's alright though, and I think it used to be free or 99 cents for Nook.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 pm

The UK iTunes store now has preview tracks available for the Into the Woods film soundtrack, and iTunes users anywhere in the world can access them. I checked them out, and honestly, I am floored. I was skeptical of this film's cast when they were announced, and the new trailer didn't really alleviate those worries, but now? I think Hollywood may have finally gotten a musical drama right, at least from a vocal perspective. I mean, yes, the LM film was nice in that it had so many nods to the Brick and so many West End actors playing supporting roles, but the vocals of many of the leads were not quite up to the task.

That doesn't seem to be the case with ITW, though. The only potential "problem spots," in my view, were Johnny Depp (who sounds more or less just like he did in the Sweeney Todd film... but hey, he'll only be in ITW for about 5 minutes anyway) and Daniel Huttlestone (who I think sounds rather young for Jack, though maybe his appearance and physical acting in the film will balance that out). Meryl Streep's Witch sounds fantastic -- reminds me a bit of Julia McKensie from the original UK cast -- and I can't wait to see and hear "Last Midnight" in full now. And now that I've heard Chris Pine sing, I really wish he were doubling as the Wolf like in the stage version, rather than Depp playing that role. But yeah... Those of you with iTunes, check 'em out! :mrgreen:

Also, I'd love to read Christopher Bond's Sweeney Todd play (which Sondheim based the musical on). Does anyone know where I could find it?

Postby 23623 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:28 am

OMG, I haven't posted anything in this thread yet? How come?

So, I just went to see "Sunday in the Park with George" with friends. It was a really small school production. There were a few changes but nothing seriously affecting the plot. To be honest...it's the only Sondheim musical that I really don't get. I like its music and the idea of creating a story out of a painting, but the story itself is kind of confusing. I know what's happening, but I don't quite understand what's the point. Funny that I have a friend who insists "Into the Woods" is a POINTLESS musical. I've been explaining the synopsis to her for some time but it was no use. What makes the whole situation more ridiculous is that she is a CATS fan herself and she's been lecturing me that it has a plot since God knows when. No offense to CATS fans but how can one who thinks CATS has a plot fail to see the point of "Into the Woods"?

The only other Sondheim musical I've seen on stage is Gypsy. It wasn't a professional production, but the actors were all amazing. My best memory about it though was that I actually witnessed a blooper! During the duet with Mr Goldstone, Mama Rose's dress slipped open. It wasn't that obvious but I still lol-ed. Felt really bad for that, but couldn't help. :lol: I'm still telling this story to everyone. :lol:

Other random facts: "Send in the clowns" was the song that converted me into a Sondheim fan. I cried so hard the first time I listened to it, completely OUT OF CONTEXT. I didn't even know what the backstory is, but I still cried like I did when watching Les Mis finale. Drying tears, I immediately decided to research about this incredibly beautiful song. That was how I knew "A Little Night Music" and all of the Sondheim awesomeness. :D

Also, I skip the wedding every time I watch Les Mis because that wedding song somehow reminds me of Sweeney Todd. I'm not kidding...I actually sang it wrong once!!
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:06 am

23623 wrote:Other random facts: "Send in the clowns" was the song that converted me into a Sondheim fan. I cried so hard the first time I listened to it
Differing tastes! "Send in the clowns" has been on my bad list ever since the era when it was played ninety times a day. Maybe partly because I don't like clowns. Another one from the same era I can't stand is "Close to you." It just goes on.. and onnnnn....

Had to go look up SITC. Well, I thought it was about a circus performer dying and hallucinating that the performance is going on. If it's just a breakup I sure don't understand it. Listening really takes me back! CTY brings back the days when I had an FM radio as big as a small dog in my bed, listening in the dark to pop music and sometimes tuning it to the screechy sounds between stations to play like I was listening to Voice of America on a shortwave.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:57 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well...I certainly haven't experienced that era though I'd love to. :D “Close to you”...you mean the Carpenters' song? OMG, have to admit I like it too. And I've been famous among friends circle for loving stuff as old as my parents since middle school so that's totally not surprising, lol.
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Other Musicals”