The Lord of the Rings

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Roses for Ophelia

Re: The Lord of the Rings

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:25 pm

MSam wrote:Err..ok. This warrents a double post to show the progression of my attitude towards the show within an hour. I have fallen in love the Lothlorien song. Err..ok. This warrents a double post to show the progression of my attitude towards the show within an hour. I have fallen in love the Lothlorien song. :shock:

yes, it had to grow on me too! Listen to 'now and for always' and the 'song of hope duet' and you'll fall madly in love! you should get the soundtrack--i think the preformances are great! it's pretty cheap on itunes.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 am

Wow, I did hear about that, you were actually there?
Yeah, listen to the whole thing, that's what I recommend!

gothchick414

Postby gothchick414 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I saw something about this musical on a PBS special (I think...it was a while ago) and it stuck in my mind for the longest time. I was working for a record store at the time, so I started browsing through out catalog, and come to find out we could have the soundtrack shipped in. I very quickly ordered it, and haven't regretted it since!

I've been in love with Now and For Always and Star Of Ea'rendil for the longest time, though I don't think there is a single song on the CD that I dislike. I wish I could have made it to the production before they completed their run.

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 pm

I too wish I'd seen it, I really hope they have a tour someday. And not just an UK tour either!
:)

believer

Postby believer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 pm

9430 wrote:I tried to listen to the cast album a year back but couldn't carry on because it didn't seem to be making sense and I just found it incredibly funny. I might give it another go, but I tend to be very sceptical about LR adaptations (I really don't like the films).

Are you sure? You don't like the film? but for me that's the best movie I've ever seen.

Postby 9430 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:44 pm

*pushes believer and gothchick towards the Introduction thread*. If you sign up to the Les Mis fan forum, we would like to know a bit more about you and why you like Les Mis.

As for the question, I'm not sure what your background is in the LR material, but back when I had only read the books a couple of times I absolutely adored the movies. They were the best thing ever, and I used to watch them a lot, even while acknowledging their flaws, especially the last film, although the extended edition did well to remove a lot of them. However after having read the book itself a few times, as well as the background, I became very emotionally invested in the characters and the story and couldn't bear to see it ripped apart like that on screen. I guess it is also that I had seen them too much, and had got a bit sick of them (I can still quote all 3 films pretty much by heart).

They are a good attempt to put the work on screen, but they are not the definitive adaptation that everyone thinks they are, and I really hope that some time in the future that the book will be readapted. They are definitely masterpieces of film making and directing, but the book's story isn't the sort that works in film. It is Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, not Tolkien's, and some of the original messages have been lost. Note that this mostly applies to TT and ROTK- Fellowship I still like as there are no completely random and story breaking scenes as there are in the others, but rather simple cuts to the story.

Anyway this is completely off topic and I apologise to the other readers of the thread.
aka Fiwen

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 pm

I just noticed we had a thread for this!
I absolutely adore this show, one of the best things I've ever seen on stage! Anyone else seen it?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:56 am

No... You should be lucky you saw it though. I want a world tour!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:32 am

I would probably die of happiness if it ever happened. They were talking back when it first closed about reviving it in Germany and my mum immediately started planning that we would go and see it if they did, regardless of the cost. Oh, I love it so much, and I am beyond glad that I saw it. After Les Mis, it's probably the best thing I've ever seen in a theatre, and believe me I've seen a lot of good shows .
Why oh why did Andrew Lloyd Webber have to be such an arse about wanting that theatre for Oliver :(
Abaisse Chief/Chef

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:53 am

ALW ruins everything! I've heard bootlegs and it sounded like the cast had such fun!

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 pm

They are reviving it in 2015!
:D
"D
"D

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:11 pm

As a touring production.

Totally nuts.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Totally going to be scaled down, but WOOHOO! :D I desperately hope they have at least one UK date, but I think we'd probably try and go anywhere in Europe for it :D

Here's the press release thing: http://www.lotr.com/home/
Abaisse Chief/Chef

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 am

And it's not really anything too specific. Any idea when the latest possible time they would put out performances locations might be?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:14 am

The latest? lol, some time in 2015. The earliest would probably be mid to late 2014, depending on what they mean when the say this is meant to start in 2015, whether near the beginning or end of the year. I have a feeling that at the moment they're still trying to figure out how to make it even work as a touring production.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Other Musicals”