The Lord of the Rings

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
MusicalTwin

The Lord of the Rings

Postby MusicalTwin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 pm

I discoverd this treasure of a musical when somebody showed me the following YouTube clip early this year:

Prepare for mind-blowing awesomeness

I was so enormously fascinated by the beauty and power and epicness of this clip that I couldn't get the tune out of my head for quite some time. Of course I knew who Laura-Michelle Kelly was (I had last seen her in the Sweeney Todd movie), but I hadn't concerned myself with her very much since then. Well, after seeing this clip that changed abruptly. Her voice blew me away! But not only because of her but also because of the magical stage scenery I had to learn more about this musical. You can imagine how I wanted to kick my ass that I haven't been to London in 2007 or 2008 to catch this on stage. I was very disappointed and sad when I found out that it had its last performance July 19th 2008.
But being as it was I at least had to treat myself to the pleasure of the original London cast recording, which now (amongst others) is my 'precious'. ^^ *g* I was highly delighted when I heard that it was totally worth it not only because of that one song, but also because of each single other song on it (of course I had gotten a picture of that as well by watching several other clips of it before buying).
I think that this musical has nearly unexceptionally beautiful music. There are altogether only two songs on the whole album that I use to skip and that is really few! When I listen to it, it makes my day and puts my mind into another world. It really is magical! I can hardly explain how I feel while listening to it. As crazy as it sounds but I kind of feel connected with nature and with the universe when I listen to it because the music is so unbelievably beautiful and bears such a deep pureness and truth (if you see how this is possible for music). That sounds totally esoteric, I know, but that's just how it is. :oops: Like I said: it's hard to explain what I mean and how I feel about it. :roll:

Anyway... I wonder if some of you know (or have perhaps even seen) this musical as well and what you think about it? I want honest opinions here as rough as they may be. I'm aware that it must be hard to approach this musical as a real LotR & Tolkien fan but being neither of those and being able to understand the difficulties of bringing something like that to stage I find it rather easy for myself to appreciate it. That may be totally different for others so don't be shy and state your opinion! :wink:
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~
(Listen, your instinct will lead you!)

~*What makes us special makes us strong!*~

Re: The Lord of the Rings

Postby 9430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:27 pm

I tried to listen to the cast album a year back but couldn't carry on because it didn't seem to be making sense and I just found it incredibly funny. I might give it another go, but I tend to be very sceptical about LR adaptations (I really don't like the films).
aka Fiwen

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 pm

9430 wrote:I tried to listen to the cast album a year back but couldn't carry on because it didn't seem to be making sense and I just found it incredibly funny. I might give it another go, but I tend to be very sceptical about LR adaptations (I really don't like the films).

I'm not particularly fond of the movies as well and like I said: I acknowledge that admirers of the novel will find it rather difficult to approach and appreciate this musical. It's the same with other adaptations for me. Les Mis movies or the Harry Potter movies for example... I liked the Phantom of the Opera musical movie and the Hairspray movie though. Mamma Mia I didn't like. Well, in the end it's all a matter of taste. And in my eyes (and especially ears ^^) the music of "The Lord of the Rings", the musical is simply beautiful. And I think that even if one cannot like the musical as such (and finds it ridiculous) one can still appreciate the music. :) Although I know that these two things are very hard to separate.
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

Postby 9430 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 pm

OK, so I listened to the album again. I agree that the music sounds lovely, and guess it must have looked visually spectacular. I find that I appreciate it most if I don't consider it to be an adaptation of the book, much as I approach stuff like Les Mis movies, as you said. It is definitely a good musical, and I can't understand why it got such bad reviews. My favourite track would have to be Now and For Always- it is beautiful.
aka Fiwen

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm SO glad and happy you see it like that! :D Good to have someone to discuss it with. 8)

It's great that you like the music. It really is lovely, isn't it?! :mrgreen: Now and for Always is a great song. Besides that one (and the fact that I like almost every single song of that musical - the only two songs I sometimes skip are Saruman and Lament of Moria) I like the Prologue, The Road Goes On, The Cat and the Moon, Star of Eärendil, Lothlórien, The Song of Hope, Wonder, The Final Battle and the Finale best. Yeah, I know that's almost the whole musical but it's SO hard to decide since each song has something unique and wonderful about it. I love Laura-Michelle Kelly's and Rosie Craig's voices and I love the Hobbit songs! And Michael Thierriault is a stunning Gollum and Michael Rouse a cool Legolas. Shame the two only have two songs. *sighs*

Alas... what I'd give to see THAT on stage! It must've been a one of a kind experience. I saw a clip on YouTube of the moment before the first break which is when they're in the mines of Moria and the Balrog appears. They blew wind and leaves into the audiences. It must've felt so real and cool.

It really is a lot easier to approach if one is able to refrain from the original book. For me it's similar with the Harry Potter movies. I like most of them as such but as adaptions of the book they mostly kind of... suck. But they're still good movies! I don't understand the bad reviews either, especially since the audience responded extremely well to the show! It's a mystery! Oh well...

I love watching production and backstage or making of clips on YouTube. The whole cast is incredibly adorable & funny and it's just such a huge project with so much effort. *ooops you got me started now :roll: * I'm really glad you like it, too. :)
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:59 pm

I love this musical!
I'm trying to come up with people to discuss it with!
You can totally msn me at
eponine92@msn.com
I'd love to discuss it!
PS I love your signature!

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:22 am

Yay, I'd love to!

Thanks! :wink:
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 am

I realize this thread is dead but i JUST discovered LOTR the musical, and i'm addicted to it! Everyone who needs a new musical to wuv and twesure should buy the soundtrack, it's on iTunes. I think i love every song on the album especailly Now and for Always annd The Cat and the Moon! Plus, Jerome Pradon as Aragorn--awesome!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Roses for Ophelia wrote:I realize this thread is dead but i JUST discovered LOTR the musical, and i'm addicted to it! Everyone who needs a new musical to wuv and twesure should buy the soundtrack, it's on iTunes. I think i love every song on the album especailly Now and for Always annd The Cat and the Moon! Plus, Jerome Pradon as Aragorn--awesome!

Oh my... I've been absent from the board so long that I'm just reading this. :oops: Sorry!
But I couldn't agree with you more! :D Especially on the Jérôme Pradon topic! :mrgreen: :wink:
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

mizfan92

Postby mizfan92 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Glad to know there's another new fan!
I have three of the songs in sheet music now!
Message me!

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:21 pm

I've seen LotR the musical 1 and 1/2 times. The first time I saw it an actor broke his leg on stage so the show was stopped and we got a refund. I love the song Lothlorien but I found the rest the music quite forgettable. Laura Michele Kelly was amazing though. Her album is available free on Spotiy, if anyone is interested. And the special effects were great. :D

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Wow, how'd he break his leg?

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:11 pm

He was playing a Ringwraith in the chase scene, which involved moving platforms and dramatic lighting which made it quite hard to see. I think he slipped off one of the platforms or got his leg caught between two of them.

MSam

Postby MSam » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:35 pm

I enjoyed that rendition of Lothlorien, although I don't really know all that much about the musical. I'm sorta undecided about buying the soundtrack though, since I've heard some of the performers were a bit lackluster. Do they actually pack the WHOLE storyline of all 3 books into the one musical?

MSam

Postby MSam » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Err..ok. This warrents a double post to show the progression of my attitude towards the show within an hour. I have fallen in love the Lothlorien song. :shock:

Return to “Other Musicals”