Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
[type your name]

Re: Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Postby [type your name] » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:05 pm

typeyourname, did you see Rent in Montreal when it played there?

Sadly, no, for various reasons. First, I was not really into Rent back then. And I wasn't really thrilled with the cast either... Mimi and Roger were played by reality show contestants who were all but actors (actually, Star Académie and Rent were both produced by Quebecor Media, and I heard afterwards that there were already two actors cast in the roles before they decided to just put them back in the ensemble and hired the others... if that's not contingency...). And I heard some of the translation and it didn't really work in French.

(Fun Les Mis related fact: Marius in the Quebec City production played Paul in Rent, and was understudy for Angel... I don't think he ever had to step in, though.)

Valancy

Postby Valancy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:54 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:Yay Moritz fan! I feel like Marthe gets completely screwed because she has a crush on Moritz and it's awesome and she so deserves to be there in Act II rather than Ilse. But Moritz is the best of the main characters. (I do so love Hanschen, too, though. He's such a delightfully manipulative bastard.)

'
I agree about Martha... In the original play there's a scene after Moritz's funeral where both Martha and Ilse come to put flowers on his grave and talk about him, I liked that. One of the awesome things about that Hungarian production of the musical I saw was that they emphasized the Moritz/Martha thing a lot. There are tons of random little moments in the show where the two are clearly interested in each other and try to make contact with each other but are just too awkward for anything to ever happen. The Ilse thing feels more like an old friend trying to pull Moritz back into the life when he's already too far gone, than any attempt at a romance-that-doesn't-happen.

I don't really like the Broadway version making Hänschen all creepy and manipulative and stuff, though. He's not that way in the original play - he's a bit weird, yeah, but essentially he's a nice guy (just with rather unhealthy fantasies) and he really cares about Ernst. Their scene together in the play reads to me as the only happy moment in the story and the only scene where two people actually sincerely love each other, since the play definitely doesn't claim Wendla and Melchior are actually lovers. And the European productions of the musical I've seen have usually had Hänschen that way, a bit cocky and stuff but essentially caring about Ernst and not being all manipulative.

Chess in Swedish... I have the recording and I really like it, except for the Arbiter song, I can't stand the way it's been arranged. I've yet to see the DVD, but a couple of my friends have it, so I'm going to watch it when I have time to visit one of them.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:36 pm

And I heard some of the translation and it didn't really work in French.

Did you hear Out Tonight? I know Without You and What You Own are on youtube. I knew Marie-Mai was a reality show contestant but I really liked her Out Tonight at least, although the lyrics are probably pretty bad.

My favorite foreign cast of Rent is the German recording. The Mimi is effing amazing.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:37 am

There you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxk5MTJyr8

The lyrics are easy to find on google :wink:

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:01 am

Oh, I actually already have Out Tonight. I was just gonna pass it along to you if you didn't. :)

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:03 am

I promised myself i'd stay away from this thread, for fear of unleashing rabid musicals fangirling on all of you, but i HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A FRENCH CAST OF RENT! I'm not a good rent head...i love the OBC so much it's like nothing else exists for me, so i'm always surprised when someone mentions anything but the OBC. (You mean someone ELSE can sing One Song Glory besides Adam Pascal? Really? You don't say!)

My French is limited, so i must admit i didn't understand everything but from what i heard it's not too bad, though i didn't hear ' but i die without you,' in Without You, which is a loss. I don't suppose there's a legal recording of this, or am i gonna have to rip it off of youtube?
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:06 am

No, there is no recording. They were going to make one originally, but the show didn't sell well. What you heard on YouTube is from the french-canadian production... there was also a parisian production a few years ago, but I don't think there is a recording of this one either.

And I agree Adam Pascal is amazing, but the guy on the DVD (stage version) is - dare I say it - even better. Well, maybe not as a character, but he has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:22 am

for fear of unleashing rabid musicals fangirling

Dude, unleash by all means. :)

I'm not a big fan of the guy on the DVD (I agree he's got a great voice, but I think he's trying too hard to act on the DVD and it kinda makes his singing sound like he's halting constantly), but there are lots of other Rogers I like: Norbert Leo Butz and John Patridge (name of the guy on the German recording), to name two.

So many of the Mimis who sing Out Tonight try to make their voice more growly and shouty. I think it's not played quite right a lot of the time because it's not a song you need to add embellishment to.

Is anyone into the musical Bare?

Valancy

Postby Valancy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:33 am

Roses for Ophelia wrote:(You mean someone ELSE can sing One Song Glory besides Adam Pascal? Really? You don't say!)

Slightly out of context because I know you were talking about the musical itself and this boy hasn't actually played the role, but still I must... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxDM9owiPCY

It's in Hungarian, and yes, it's a quite different style of singing than on the CD, but it's certainly a lovely performance. (Not being othewise that into Rent - sorry! - I wouldn't of course know about some subtleties of a "correct" interpretation for a fan of the musical, but I know I love this performance.)

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 am

I am a theatre addict. No, seriously. It is my life. So this list may be reeeeeally long.

Phantom of the Opera is my favorite musical ever. Don't judge me. Because it literally changed my life. Cheesy, but true.
Wicked is also awesome. I know, I know, it's so mainstream. But I love it.
Fiddler On the Roof. The choir teacher I had a crush on suggested we watch it. So yeah.
Sweeney Todd is amazing. And that concert recording is pretty much the greatest thing in existence. Because I'm obsessed with Patti LuPone and Neil Patrick Harris.
Little Shop of Horrors is just... epic. I love it, because it's so bizarre. And because Alan Menken is love.
My Fair Lady is loverly. See what I did there? Anyways, it's just clever and fun and it makes me want to explode with happiness, because I think that annoying, arrogant, cold characters are the shiznit, so Henry Higgins is amazing.
Elisabeth is also amazing, despite the fact that I don't speak a word of German. I love the music.
Peter Pan is basically comfort food in musical form. I'm not even kidding. The Cathy Rigby version is teh awesome. Because I'm a Peter Pan geek.

To keep this shortish, I'm going to stop.

No, wait, I'm not. Because there's this ridiculously obscure little Phantom of the Opera musical and it's amazing and the music and lyrics are great, and it's really, really canon, and Tom Alonso, the man who wrote it, is like the nicest guy ever, and I love him. And I will never stop fangirling this musical.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:55 am

AnOTHER phantom musical? i only know the ALW version and the Yeston/Kopit 'Phantom' is there a THIRD!?

I love Peter Pan, too. I was in it once, but i had a teeny part. :( Needless to say i'm a big Peter Pan geek too. I can't count how many Tinkerbell things are in my room!

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:59 am

ALW's Phantom of the Opera, Yeston/Kopit's Phantom, Ken Hill's Phantom of the Opera ... is there YET ANOTHER ONE besides those three?
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:08 am

oh forgot Ken Hill's, though i've never heard it. So we're on FOUR?

As Love Never Dies DID NOT HAPPEN, of course. When last heard from, the score was deleted by ALW's cat, in one of the most irony filled moments in musical theater history.

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:15 pm

DAVID STALLER YOU GUYS.

DAVID STALLER.

And there are others, trust me. BUT I HAVE A FONDNESS FOR THE DAVID STALLER ONE, even though it is not very good.

ETA: LND sucks. It especially sucks because I like some of the music. But the lyrics suck. And most of all, the plot sucks.

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Yeah, there's another Phantom musical by a man named Tom Alonso. I'm pretty sure it was written for dinner theatre. But that doesn't change the fact that it rocks hardcore.

And don't be surprised you haven't heard of it, because it may be the most obscure Phantom musical. Very, very few people have copies of the CD. I happen to be one of them.

But it's awesome.

Someday I'm going to track down the Ken Hill and David Staller shows. Whenever I actually have money to spend.

Oh, and there's another Phantom musical playing off-B'way right now by these folks named Sgouros and Bell. But it's... not so awesome. At least, the acting is dreadful.

I agree, LND is awful. But don't get me started on it, or I'll rant for days.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I am sort of obsessed with Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I think it's just about the greatest thing ever. Because I'm an NPH fangirl, and I'm not too proud to admit it.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

Return to “Other Musicals”