Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
MamzelleCombeferre

Re: Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 am

Other than Les Mis, my other top two favorite musicals are Jekyll and Hyde and Sunday in the Park with George. Overall I prefer the Concept Album of Jekyll and Hyde over the OBC, but I do prefer the use of Good and Evil over Bring on the Men, and it has the best version of Dangerous Game out there. As for Sunday in the Park with George, I absolutely adore Daniel Evans and Bernadette Peters. Unfortunately it's really not possible to have them in the same cast, but a squee would sound across the world if they were.

Some other musicals I really love are:

Parade by Jason Robert Brown
Wicked by Stephen Schwartz
The Wild Party by Andrew Lippa
I Love You Because (I don't know who this is by)

There are so many more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. :)
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:46 am

The Bricklayer wrote:
geminimimi wrote:Legally Blonde. It cracks me up every time! Bend and snap. :lol:

Legally Blonde is our fall musical this year. It's not my favorite, but I'll be working sound crew unless someone forces me {at knife point (coughMontparnassecough)} to audition.

You lucky lark! My school only ever does Romeo and Juliet. Every. Single. Year. Talk about repitition. It would be cool if they gave it a twist once in a while (like, I can se Romeo and Juliet: The Musical happening XD ) but they don't. :(

Acting would be fun. I'm an acting hog, you see. I'm not truly happy unless I'm on stage, be it minor or lead role. Oh, the things I would do if Montparnasse had me at knife point 8)
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Ha ha, Romeo and Juliet: the Musical. That'd be awesome.

Anyway, I like Phantom(duh), Evita, Love Never Dies(Kind of), Sound of Music, Oklahoma(Kind of. I like it enough to be on my ipod), Annie, Wicked, Into the Woods, and possibly more. So yeah... Andrew Lloyd Webber, Stephen Sondheim, and Rodgers and Hammerstein...

But I can't stand Mary Poppins(the music's annoying!), and I'm not a huge fan of Cats, either. Or West Side Story, to be honest. :)

Ha ha, I'm so awkward.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:06 am

The only other musical I obsessively love is Phantom of the Opera.

I did study West Side Story for musical history though.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Not quite a musical, but a play with significant music and dance elements: Black Watch. Highly recommend to anyone in the Chicago area, as that's where National Theatre of Scotland have set down for the moment. They'll be in Seattle and San Francisco in the spring.

Deeply moving 2 hours about the experiences of a small group of soldiers from the famous regiment when they were stationed in Iraq in 2004. The movement work is amazing, the use of traditional ballads haunting, and it has the most beautiful death scene I will probably ever see anywhere. Cast of ten, they all sing, they all do gorgeous dance/movement work, and there's some surprising, beautiful, and shocking staging in addition to that death scene. They even have a real award-winning piper rather than just bagpipes on click track.

Also, that company is full of absolute sweethearts and they deserve all the love they can get. To go out there night after night in such an intensely physically and emotionally draining show - damned talented.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 am

Watched "Phantom", finally! Now I get why my cousin is so into it.

Another musical I love is "Altar Boyz". Best for anyone who has either a thing for 90s boy bands, or who has experience with Christian charismatic/evangelical groups.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:05 pm

I just saw Spring Awakening this weekend. Awkward and amazing at the same time.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Watched "Phantom", finally! Now I get why my cousin is so into it.

Another musical I love is "Altar Boyz". Best for anyone who has either a thing for 90s boy bands, or who has experience with Christian charismatic/evangelical groups.

I'm yet to watch Phantom but I want to and think I might later. Is the 25th anniversary one okay for cuts so that I can follow the story? Just wondering since the Les Mis 10th, for example, cut out complete parts like the robbery so you had to know the story beforehand to follow it to an extent. I want to be able to follow this quite well when I watch it.
The law is unjust.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm

I wouldn't know; I've got no basis for comparison but the story is pretty much the same (at times more well expounded) as that of the movie.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Has anyone watched Jersey Boys? Or know whether it's any good? The touring company is showing now and I'm not sure if I should watch it or wait for other musicals? 'Cause the tickets are kinda expensive.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:I wouldn't know; I've got no basis for comparison but the story is pretty much the same (at times more well expounded) as that of the movie.

I'll probably just watch the 25th one then. Just because I was able to find that online so I know that I'll have access to it unlike other versions.

Plus, I think I'm going to watch West side Story too. Looks good and I want to know it well before my school does it, even though that's a long time away.
The law is unjust.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

West Side Story is a lot of fun; we had to stage it when we were teenagers (all-girl cast, lots of fun). Not the best in terms of lyrics; Sondheim did MUCH better in his other musicals, and it's essentially Romeo and Juliet set in the 1950s. But it's great to see the dance numbers in that play.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Enjolvert wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote:I wouldn't know; I've got no basis for comparison but the story is pretty much the same (at times more well expounded) as that of the movie.

I'll probably just watch the 25th one then. Just because I was able to find that online so I know that I'll have access to it unlike other versions.

Plus, I think I'm going to watch West side Story too. Looks good and I want to know it well before my school does it, even though that's a long time away.

Yeah, the 25th anniversary concert for POTO is basically the entire show. Only one line is trimmed from the script, and it's a pretty inconsequential one. Kinda makes me wish they could have done the LM concerts that way. The POTO movie, by contrast, makes several cuts to the script (and oddly changes some sung sections to be spoken instead, which sounds really strange since the lines still rhyme and still have the original music playing underneath). Plus, the concert has much better singers, so yeah... IMO, it's much better and is a truer representation of the musical.

Heh... so you may have gathered that I'm a huge Phantom Phan as well -- I also love some of the musical versions by other composers. Other musicals I adore are Sweeney Todd, Tanz der Vampire, Assassins, Elisabeth, Sunset Boulevard, Jekyll & Hyde, Into the Woods, Miss Saigon, and Dracula (Frank Wildhorn version).

shiroihikari

Postby shiroihikari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 pm

I still haven't heard as many musicals as I'd like, but I grew up on The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. I still love both. Yay, Julie Andrews!

I listened to the concept album for Jekyll and Hyde, and though it's a mixed bag, there's some good stuff in there.

I didn't like POTO until I saw the 25th Anniversary version. The 2004 movie has SO MANY problems and I hated it the first time I saw it. But I heard Ramin Karimloo was playing Phantom in the 25th Anniversary, and I liked him as Enjolras so I figured, why not give it another chance? I liked it a lot! The staging wasn't perfect but at least it was staged. In fact, I think the only thing I didn't really like about it was the lady playing Madame Giry. Also I'm not a big fan of Hadley Fraser.

I've heard bits and pieces of Love Never Dies, and while I liked the two songs I heard, I don't think I'll listen to the whole thing because the story sounds pretty bad.

There are still a lot of musicals on my "to see/hear" list. I need to get cracking on that.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:00 pm

I watched the 25th version of Phantom earlier on and thought it was brilliant. The characters are fantastic, the whole set for it is incredible and the music is excellent too. The cast for it was fantastic as well.
The law is unjust.

Return to “Other Musicals”