Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Ulkis

Re: Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Postby Ulkis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:58 pm

And there are others, trust me. BUT I HAVE A FONDNESS FOR THE DAVID STALLER ONE, even though it is not very good

Is that the one with "perfect music"? Cause um, I kinda like that song.

The plot of LND is absolute shit. But I like some of the songs.

An excellent and hilarious rant about LND.

If you haven't listened to him, check out The Phantom Reviewer, he is hilarious and has reviewed every Phantom thing out there.

ALW's Phantom of the Opera, Yeston/Kopit's Phantom, Ken Hill's Phantom of the Opera ... is there YET ANOTHER ONE besides those three?

There are like, 5 million versions. Check out the link above to find all of them, I can't keep track. I'm kinda jealous. How come people keep making shit versions of Phantom and Hunchback, but no one wants to take another stab at Les Misérables?

Yeah, there's another Phantom musical by a man named Tom Alonso. I'm pretty sure it was written for dinner theatre. But that doesn't change the fact that it rocks hardcore.

I'm gonna go check it out.

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:22 pm

YEP THAT'S THE ONE!

The off-Broadway one is steampunk.

I'll need to check out the Alonso one, I've never heard of it, which surprises me.

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:56 am

Here's a link to some info on the Tom Alonso version of Phantom, if anyone's interested. It's so great, really Leroux, and Tom is amazing.

http://www.tomalonso.com/phantom.htm
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

Potato112

Postby Potato112 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Phantom of the Opera I love the beautiful music, the storyline, and when I saw Gina Beck perform as Christine this past June, she made me love it even more (have I mentioned how awesome I think she is? Not here, probably)

West side story Such a beautiful storyline! I'd love to play Maria. And the ending is just... heartbreaking.

The sound of music I don't find it such a deep or heavy musical (which is usually of my taste) but it's just so much fun!

Les Mis is 1# though!

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Gina Beck is awesome. I've been trying to find clips of her as Cosette, only there don't seem to be any. Her Christine is incredible, though.
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Potato112

Postby Potato112 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Rose In Misery wrote:Gina Beck is awesome. I've been trying to find clips of her as Cosette, only there don't seem to be any. Her Christine is incredible, though.

I know, her Christine is absolutely amazing! I was stunned, really- she did it so differently! And her voice was so soft and light and beautiful- combined with stunning acting and her charming looks... she was fantastic. I have her recording of the 21st anniversary, but she only sings "How strange...unknown" from In my life, A heart full of love and then a small line in the epilogue. :( I am desperate to find some as well...

nashie-chan

Postby nashie-chan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Throughout the years I've loved Rent, Miss Saigon, The Lion King, Into the Woods, Songs for a New World, Spamalot, Phantom, Hairspray, Dreamgirls, A Chorus Line, Spring Awakening, and probably quite a few others that I've missed on this list (Wicked is fun to sing along to, but I don't really consider myself a huge fan of it).

....does A Very Potter Musical count? :P

Recently, I'm in love with Der Glöckner von Notre Dame (because, lets face it, 'The Bells of Notre Dame" and "Hellfire" are two of the best songs Disney has EVER created).
"We will have our day, sailing into the fire!" - Into the Fire, The Scarlet Pimpernel

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Der Glöckner von Notre Dame is awesome. I'm wishing they'd do another production of it some day - hopefully in English -, it's way too good to be not done again!

Les Mis is my absolute number one favourite show, no contest about that. Still, I just love musicals in general. Whenever a theatre less than 400 miles away puts up a musical I just have to see it... :)
It's so hard to pick favourites for me (apart from Les Mis). Out of the ones I've seen, Finnish Cats, Finnish Mary Poppins, Broadway Chicago and The Phantom of the Opera win the game. Out of the ones I've just heard or seen the movie, I love Notre Dame de Paris, RENT and Sweeney Todd. Recently I've been listening quite a lot of Jesus Christ Superstar, and I've also a soft spot for The Lion King.
But there are so many other shows I adore, it's so hard to choose only a couple... Tomorrow I'd probably pick a really different set! :D
It's a magical world... Let's go exploring!

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:33 pm

I've seen a couple of shows in London so far... not a whole lot, partly because I needed my budget for Les Mis and partly because there really aren't that many amazing shows in London, but over the last two years I've been to see Hairspray, Lion King, Phantom, Jersey Boys, Oliver!, Passion (duh) and Hair. I absolutely adored Passion and Hair and I miss them very much... Passion was just so intense and so gripping and... Hair was just perfect and there is not a day in central London when I don't find myself wishing it hadn't closed. I liked Hairspray and thought Jersey Boys actually was a surprisingly good show, Phantom and Oliver! are both shows that have their good moments but overall bored me and didn't have me interested in the show at all... both had scenes that dragged on for too long and were just so repetitive. What kept me going in "Phantom" was that I loved the cast, David Shannon, Gina Beck and an amazing Matthew Gent as second cover Raoul. But I don't understand the hype at all. And I hated Lion King - Circle of Life was as overwhelming as expected, but it went downhill and was too childish and predictable I thought. And not stunning at all. I actually almost walked out of it in the interval...
I could also mention End Of The Rainbow with Tracie Bennett, but it's listed as "play". But that was amazing. The piece itself was good, but Tracie Bennett as Judy Garland is what makes the show. If you're in London, go and see it. Absolutely everyone is raving about it.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Here's a link to some info on the Tom Alonso version of Phantom, if anyone's interested. It's so great, really Leroux, and Tom is amazing.

http://www.tomalonso.com/phantom.htm

I've just listened to this, and it wasn't half bad. I really liked the song "the Love You Never Had" and the guy who plays the Phantom. Magnificent voice.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:18 am

Clip of steampunk Phantom. I've watched some other clips though and it's not the awesome looking steampunk creepy Phantom that clips show and that song conveys, bummer. The acting is blerg for the most part, although I like the Phantom actor's utter batshit version of the character.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Apparently the new production of Rent opening up off-Broadway this month is pretty much a clone production. Bummer. I really wanted to see a different staging.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 pm

I should have made you come down to DC for Keegan's production! (Which I missed, because I just couldn't get my schedule together at the time, but the reviews were good.) I can attempt to entice people to DC with non-replica Spring Awakening AND Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson next summer, though.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:45 am

Spring Awakening is happening in DC next summer? I just got into Spring Awakening about a week ago. What's it going to be like, compared to the original Broadway version I watched on Youtube?
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Keegan's a tiny theatre, non-equity company, and I'm imagining they'll pull some local college students for the cast (they just did Spelling Bee, and their Logainne was a current student at American). Their Rent got good reviews, and their Spelling Bee was cute. They're definitely a company to watch in DC, and I think one can expect their Spring Awakening to return to the downtown vibe the thing should have. (I saw the tour, and enjoyed it, but I'm much more interested in Keegan's production because it will be smaller and more intimate and thus probably more intense, the way it should be.) It will certainly be nonreplica, so any staging things you particularly enjoy are entirely plausibly not going to exist. (On stage seating, the swing, etc.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “Other Musicals”