Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Schmerg_The_Impaler

Favourite Non-Mis Musicals

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 pm

What are yours? Mine are really mainstream, which makes me feel a bit ashamed, but still, here's my top ten:

* Spamalot
* Scarlet Pimpernel
* Beauty and the Beast
* Little Mermaid
* Cats (you have NO idea how obsessed I was with that for years of my childhood)
*Sweeney Todd (I liked it BEFORE the hype... my dad got me the soundtrack when I was eleven, five years ago. I still liked the movie, though.)
* Phantom of the Opera (I know, I know. I feel so ashamed)
* Fiddler on the Roof (The show that got me into musical theatre)
* Hairspray (For some reason, I'm fascinated with the character of Edna. Even though I'm a girl, I'm dying to play her.)
* Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog (shut up, it counts)

Although my two favourite non-Mis show tunes are from "Assassins" and "Jane Eyre." And I have to admit, I rather like "Wicked," though I agree that a lot of the singers are annoying (and "Defying Gravity" is overrated-- that's one of my least-favourite songs from the show). I love the orchestrations, though.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Sweeney Todd, but only on stage (I like when they can sing)
Jesus Christ Superstar, in case Drew isn't in it (movie is the best)
Phantom, if not movie (Gerald Butler sucks... I want JOJ or Christian Müller). But, in fact, Phantom is way too sappy. And I hate Raoul. But Carlotta rocks, and my fave is TEH DOGGEH.

And I had another favorite, The Lovers of the Sea, but that was, I think, only in Hungary. Made from a Brasilian novel, it taked place in a fisher village and all the men were in love with the Sea Goddess. Their wives were always afraid they won't come back. There were great songs and it was tragic.

Charlette-Ollie

Postby Charlette-Ollie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 pm

*Phantom of the Opera. Not so much for the singing, more for the orchestrations and the set/costume designs: those are things the movie got oh. so. right. I join you, Sieglinde, in the Raoul hate, but only because I have never seen him played by an actor who can actually act. I might also add that seeing Anthony Warlow play the Phantom did not hurt my love for the musical in any way (it also gives me the right to brag about it at every possible opportunity)
* Miss Saigon. Boublil and Schonberg just can't do anything wrong can they?
* Beauty and the Beast. One year I did it in dancing and it was the school musical, and I could probably still sing it all the way through.

If I keep on going, I'll never stop, so here's a short list of other favourites: Jekyll & Hyde, Little Shop of Horrors, Chess, Wicked.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 pm

Awww, I love Raoul. He's so *POUNCY*. ^_^ I do love my fops, haha. Also, I absolutely adore Michael Ball in the role. (He was the second person to play the part on West End after the original cast came over to Broadway).

Michael Ball and Claire Moore being cute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnGdEtQWPRw

I've never heard a full cast of Phantom that I like. Sarah Brightman's voice has never been among my favourites, and the movie's singing wasn't very strong (though I love the movie-- great visuals and it really opened up the show and made it feel real).

Dude, how could I forget Little Shop of Horrors? I love it. This morning, I woke up when my sister's alarm went off accidentally, and saw my sister's head hanging upide down over my bed (she sleeps in the top bunk, I'm in the bottom bunk), and she belted out, "ALAAAAAAARM goes off at seven, and you start UPTOOOOOWN!" like the beginning of "Skid Row." Yeah... We used to make my brother dress up like a girl and perform the songs with us when we were little.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Schmerg, your family is AMAZING.

And I shall join you in the love for Sir Pouncyboots! He's such a puppy. But I'm not a phantom fan (anymore) at all. Because, in short, the movie was crap compared to the musical and the musical is crap compared to the book. Imagine a world where it's completely acceptable to assume that Marius and Éponine were in love and nobody, absolutely NOBODY, believes that Marius loved Cosette. (And everyone insisted that Éponine was really really beautiful under all that dirt.) That's what the phandom is like. And I detest it.

In other news, I love the musical Sweeney Todd as well. That movie SUUUUCKED. Ohgod I hated it so much.

And I like Wicked too. I don't care what people say about it, I know what I like and I like Wicked. Judge me if you must.

Also, Assassins! Ohyes. And Little Shop.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Sweeney Todd (And I liked the movie, so all y'all haters can start sharpening your razors now.)
Cabaret
Glöckner von Notre-Dame
The Secret Garden
My Fair Lady
Phantom of the Opera (I like both the Ken Hill and ALW versions; Yeston's has its moments but doesn't really do it for me. The ALW movie can fuck off and die.)
Ragtime
Notre-Dame de Paris
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:51 pm

How did I forget Glöckner von Notre-Dame? Hunchback was my favourite Disney movie, and Glöckner's even better because it's darker without losing all of the Disney songs and humour...

I liked the Sweeney movie, too. And I actually liked Johnny Depp's voice, which I wasn't expecting to-- I'm not a Johnny Depp fangirl at all, though I do like the Pirates movies. I love musical movies because they take a stage production and turn it into something that feels real.

Schmerg, your family is AMAZING.

Hahaha, thank you. Amazingly, neither of my parents are into musical theatre at all (they're both classical musicians), but after I became obsessed with Broadway, I sucked my younger brother and sister into my madness. The current musical revue we're working on is "The Little Mermaid," and I'm somehow playing Ursula, Sebastian, Jetsam, Scuttle, the French chef, and at least two mersisters. (Our shows are interesting when you only have three people... when we did Les Misérables, "One Day More" was EXTREMELY interesting.)

But I'm not a phantom fan (anymore) at all.

I've never really been a phan, because the story never particularly intrigued me, and I've never been able to bring myself to care about Christine. But I love the music. And I must say, the most entertaining way to experience Phantom is to rent the DVD of the movie musical at 11 PM and watch it with your best friend and two straight, musical-hating guys who've never heard of Phantom before, and make snarky comments through the whole thing about what a loser the Phantom is. (The two guys ABSOLUTELY HATED the Phantom. They sided with Raoul the whole time.) Add about four cans of cream soda each to the mix and a large box of Reeses Pieces and you've got the makings of strange, deranged sugar-high hilarity. The Phantom movie is so earnestly serious that it's pretty much the funniest thing you can watch if you're in the right mindset.

Imagine a world where it's completely acceptable to assume that Marius and Éponine were in love and nobody, absolutely NOBODY, believes that Marius loved Cosette. (And everyone insisted that Éponine was really really beautiful under all that dirt.)

I think I already live in that world...

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 pm

My favourite musicals that aren't Les Mis? Well...

Kristina från Duvemåla (which actually ranks above LM)
Martin Guerre
Chess
A Tale of Two Cities (! Go see it. Seriously.)
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Notre-Dame de Paris
Elisabeth

...um, I'm drawing a blank. Haha. Perhaps I'll have to amend this post later.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Whoa, wait? "Tale of Two Cities" has already opened on Broadway? My, how the time flies... I can't believe I didn't see anything about it when I went up there to NYC a few weeks ago. Is James Barbour still involved? Because I listen to him in "Sirens" from "Jane Eyre" basically every day. Quite a voice that guy has, and I'm really hoping the whole child molesting thing doesn't prevent him from being in the show...

Catquesous

Postby Catquesous » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:08 pm

Blood Brothers
Sweeney Todd
Little Shop of Horrors
Chicago
Into the Woods.

I haven't seen that many really, but those are my faves. I love West Side Story too, but that just has a special place in my heart coz I was in it. XD

Emmaness

Postby Emmaness » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I've been trying to introduce myself to new musicals; at the moment I've found a handful that I adore:

Chess
A Chorus Line
Rent
Miss Saigon (how could I have never heard the music until recently? It's beyond incredible.)
Jekyll and Hyde
Sweeney Todd (I'm not over-awed by the music so much as the lyrics - particularly, of course, A Little Priest.)

And then there are the musicals which I've always loved:

Fiddler on the Roof
Guys and Dolls
The Lion King (because... well, because!)
Cats
Phantom of the Opera (inevitable really.)
Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

... There are probably more, but as this list is reaching epic proportions, I should probably stop mentally searching. :)
Death is no different whined at than withstood.
-Philip Larkin, Aubade

cordeliersclub

Postby cordeliersclub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 pm

THE SECRET GARDEN, oh GOD that is literally my favorite in the world.

I also love Titanic. Anyone for Titanic?
les Amis de l'ABC do not laugh at puns.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:29 pm

Schmerg_The_Impaler wrote:Whoa, wait? "Tale of Two Cities" has already opened on Broadway? My, how the time flies... I can't believe I didn't see anything about it when I went up there to NYC a few weeks ago. Is James Barbour still involved? Because I listen to him in "Sirens" from "Jane Eyre" basically every day. Quite a voice that guy has, and I'm really hoping the whole child molesting thing doesn't prevent him from being in the show...

No, it has not opened on Broadway. Opening day is September 18th. It is, however, in previews, and I did see the first preview performance, and adored it. Frankly, it is more true to Dickens than LM is true to Hugo. Yes, Barbour is still involved, and no, being a child molester doesn't prevent him from being involved. The entire cast and crew must be notified and the parents of the kids in it must have been informed before allowing their children in it, but it is not a deterrent as it may be in other professions. It may cause him (and the show) quite a lot of negative publicity, but it does not have any bearing on whether he is hire-able on Broadway.

That said, it's fantastic, and I'm going to try to go as soon as possible after opening day. I can't wait to see what the "final product" is. It's really great stuff.

(I might be biased, considering how much I loved the novel, but it's a really great show, all things considered. And if any of you heard it was a ripoff of LM, tell your friend(s) they're full of shit for thinking so.)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 pm

Alrighty then. Bare with me, this might be a long post.

POTO (Like most people here)
Sweeney Todd (I like the stage show better than the movie)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (The first fully staged musical I ever saw)
RENT (Viva La Vie Boheme!)
Spamalot
Notre Dame de Paris
My Fair Lady
The King and I (I love the movie version)
Oh yes, and The Secret Garden
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

rugby24601

Postby rugby24601 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:35 am

The Phantom of the Opera (I liked it before the movie. I grew up with the OCC)
The Producers
The Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
RUCK WITH ME AND DIE!

Real Barricade Boys play rugby!

Return to “Other Musicals”