Non-English musicals?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Chantefleurie

Re: Non-English musicals?

Postby Chantefleurie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:18 am

_23623_ wrote:More about Le Petit Prince. I love the book very much and actually have a bilingual edition of it. The main reason why I'm not crazy about its musical adaption -- don't know whether we're talking about the same thing either -- is the rose. I think it would be better if the actress were younger or even about the same age as the boy. In addition, she is supposed to be the dearest being to the Little Prince, the one he spends his time with and gives protection to, but I'm not deeply impressed by their interactions on stage. I prefer to think the flaws of the rose as part of her nature which, to some extent, makes her even more adorable, but the actress just plays her as if she were an affected, frivolous girl. :(

Are you talking about this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11-_pWSEs6o

If so, I agree entirely about the rose. Above all, she is supposed to be just as innocent as the Prince, but just channeling her insecurity in a different way. And you don't get that feeling with that musical. I also remember thinking when I watched it that the rose could easily have been done better.

Watching bits of it again, I should have realized that the pilot is the same singer as Claude Frollo. That guy is awesome!

_23623_ wrote:If you are looking for the English lyrics of R&J, you may go to this site: http://ndparis.narod.ru/eng/eugene/ridj/english.html#14
Speaking of Et Voila Qu'elle Aime...I love the song and La Nurse! Actually I think this kind of songs -- well, basically non-love songs -- make more sense than those love songs in the musical, as they each serves a different purpose and their lyrics is less repetitive. The English lyrics for that song is good enough imo, compared to some other ones.
Did I mention the instrumental music and singing last time? Beware if one day you're suddenly curious and want to give the English album a try :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link. Yeah, Et Voila Qu'elle Aime looks very decent in English. I just wish they kept one line from the French version where she prays for courage and strength to keep guiding Juliette until her marriage. But overall very decent!

I agree. My favourite songs, or parts of songs, are usually those that are not about romance. Et Voila, C'est Le Jour, On Dit Dans La Rue, Verone, Demain, the lyrics of Mercutio's death scene - I like them so much better than the love songs. Some of the love songs are pretty good musically, but they don't offer much in terms of lyrics. Occasionally there's an interesting burst of thought (like in Le Balcon, when Juliette comments on the irony of her love), but often they are just empty-sounding. And half the time Romeo sounds like he's in love with Juliette's dress rather than with herself. :D Juliette's lines aren't as cringe-worthy (except for her death scene. They could have done better than that). I find that kind of curious. She at least has some interesting imagery, some poetry in her lovesick musings. Romeo is always given cliche or dull metaphors. Look at the beginning of L'amour Hereux (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YodbCp8Zex4) and you'll see what I mean (isn't Romeo really just in love with her dress?!).

La Nurse is wonderful. She is my favourite character after La Mort (and you just can't beat that 8) ). She has depth, struggle, passion, and realism. The musical kind of puts the friar as her counterpart, but I don't really like him. He feels a bit alien. Maybe if they gave him a bit more involvement - or at least a bystander/observer role - just to give him more contact with the rest of the story, he would belong better with the rest of it. Also, I'm not a fan of how the actor sings his part.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Postby 23623 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:49 am

@Chantefleurie: Yes exactly. We're talking about the same musical. I watched it just for Frollo because, as you might also agree, how could there be a *perfect* adaption of LPP! Well, but there could be a perfect pilot, on the other hand... :wink:

Guess what, I have a strage (but absolutely reasonable, imo) idea about La Nurse. After my friend told me that Benvolio is actually the narrator of the story I was like "OMG what?! If that's true, he must be the most irresponsible narrator throughout the history of musical theater." Really, I never know that there is a narrator in R&J, let alone why it has to be Benvolio. But I would assign this duty to La Nurse if I could. That wouldn't make her a major character though. I'd like to see her as a Gringoire-type narrator and have more songs like Et Voila Qu'elle Aime (but I don't know how it could work in practice since this major change might entail large-scale modification of songs and plot). She seems to be the best choice for a narrator as her position and personality will enable careful observations of character development and some in-depth comments -- to save the musical from the excessive amount of romance. Alternatively, La Mort might also be a candidate but I can't (don't want to) see this happen; she is just perfect being who she is.

Another personal thought on the love songs. It's indeed OK to have a large number of them, since R&J is, after all, a love story. But the most obvious flaw of them, besides problematic rhetoric, is that some songs fail to show the development of R&J's love in the context of two conflicting families. They should be aware that it's not just an affair between themselves, but something that will exert a great impact on both families. I'm glad that both French and English versions of Le Balcon explicitly point this out. This is one of the reasons why it is my personal favorite among all love songs in R&J (its importance in the original is another...) but I have huge problems with Aimer. It is supposed to be the climax of act 1 but the lyrics really doesn't support its importance. I can't accept that it returns to those lame metaphors (both French and English lyrics do this!) even after Le Balcon has made such a progress...

And...more German ahead...
Found some video clips along the way while hunting for Baden Les Mis (the one in which Murray was Javert and Aris was Enjolras...has anybody watched it?), and now there's a sudden influx of German in my playlist...
Want to share this one but more experienced fans may have watched it so please...bear with me? :oops:

STEVE BARTON'S LAST PERFORMANCE OF TDV. This is just priceless. https://www.youtube.com/user/PrinceHerb ... shelf_id=0 :D :D :D

So this is the third time that I've seen Aris in a video besides the original production of TdV and a few seconds of Empty Chairs on Barton's memorial concert...he must play Marius some day, I'm still reserving the title of best Marius for him! Nowadays fangirling someone has become a challenging task. You have to know a foreign language to read his wikipedia page and search every corner of youtube for anything in which he might make an appearance. *sigh*
Revolution, but civilization

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:05 am

Not sure where to put this piece of news that just made my day...

...The Red and the Black was made a musical! :D It's been in Paris since September. How come I didn't know this until today? Dear God I wish I was in Paris!

Haven't seen anything of it, but to be honest I doubt it will turn out to be good. It looks like Mozart l'opera rock no.2...(Mozart does have decent music and plot, but sometimes the costume, make-up and dancing really bother me). But I really want to see this musical version of R&B regardless of its quality. R&B is one of my favorites of French literature.

*EDIT* Just knew that Thomas was cast as Krolock...again. :roll: Suddenly feel so disappointed about TdV St Gallen. Please just don't cast Thomas as Krolock anymore. He's tired of the role and I'm tired of seeing him in the role too! :roll:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:16 am

It's advertised as "Le Rouge et le Noir: L'Opera Rock" so I would go ahead and say it's exactly "Mozart L'Opera Rock Le Deuxième."

There are a couple videos up on the show's website. Their Julien Sorel is kinda cute.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:35 am

Urgh..."the uploader has not made this video available in your country"! :(

But knowing these French musicals, I don't have to watch the video to know that Julien is kinda cute. He must be, otherwise it won't be a French musical.

Postby 23623 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:45 am

Here's a new (well actually it's been a while) audio of Robert Marien singing "Soliloquy" from the French Musical Gala in Shanghai last month! :D

Return to “Other Musicals”