NBC's Peter Pan Live

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
deHavilland

NBC's Peter Pan Live

Postby deHavilland » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:49 am

Alright. So maybe the live NBC musicals aren't perfect. But hey, they've given us musical nerds a new Superbowl sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and if that's not awesome, I don't know what is.

So let's do it. Peter Pan Live. Who watched it? Who live tweeted? Who has got things to say?

(Bonus: this Vanity Fair recap is my favorite one ever.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Gervais

Re: NBC's Peter Pan Live

Postby Gervais » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:32 am

I didn't see the entire thing, but I am so glad that recap exists. :D

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:11 pm

I am not kidding you, I saw this post and went OMG NBC IS DOING PETER PAN LIVE? I LOVE PETER PAN!

That's how much of an impression it made on me. Because I made this post AND I watched it live. Over a year ago.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:12 pm

I didn't watch the full thing... meant to give it a shot, but kept finding more interesting things (including some commercials) on other channels. Pretty much after "Tender Shepherd," I kept tuning out. And I stayed for that number mainly because I'm a Kelli O'Hara fan. lol

I thought Christopher Walken as Hook might make it worthwhile, figuring that even if he couldn't really sing that well, he'd at least be entertaining to watch. I was sadly, sadly mistaken. Was he directed that way, or overdirected to the point of just having zero f***s left to give? Or was something else going on there? And after seeing Kevin Spacey do an impression of Walken on Jimmy Fallon's talk show, I kinda found myself wishing that the folks behind Peter Pan had hired Spacey and told him to do a Walken impression as Hook. Would've probably been more fun to watch. :lol:

But yeah... I'm sticking with the Mary Martin/Cyril Ritchard and Cathy Rigby/Paul Schoeffler filmed versions. And also this compilation album that features songs from multiple versions of Peter Pan, including Jonathan Freeman singing Hook's songs from the musical. :mrgreen:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 am

Are you kidding me? Christopher Walken was fantastically entertaining to watch! It was a game of "is he or isn't he reading off of the teleprompter right now?" He phoned it in so hard. So hard. It was spectacular watching him put in just an awful, awful performance.

(But yes, Mary Martin and Cyril Ritchard are my ultimate go to. Though I'm fond of the Cathy Rigby tour.)

Return to “Other Musicals”