Anastasia the musical!!

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
humanracer

Anastasia the musical!!

Postby humanracer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:07 am

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Mc ... 8HMe4-4HC8

I love the 1997 movie and always thought it would make a great musical. I hope the project comes to fruition.

This is one of my favourite songs from the movie:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm8QdNR_d8

Rachelle

Re: Anastasia the musical!!

Postby Rachelle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:33 pm

I believe Aaron Tveit was meant to have done workshops as Dmitri but it was cancelled and he is no longer attached to the project.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm so glad they decided to make a musical from the 1997 animated movie. I love the song Once Upon a December.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat May 27, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm still pretty miffed about the changes to the storyline. I mean, yeah yeah, evil!sorcerer!from!the!grave!Rasputin is unrealistic. But it was fun.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sun May 28, 2017 12:58 pm

No Rasputin? No "In the dark of the night"? I hope one day someone will make an actual musical of Anastasia.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Yeah... That's why, as nice as it is when musicals try to be somewhat more accurate to history and/or the source material than the films they're based on (e.g. the stage versions of Disney's Hunchback), it needs to be done carefully and without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon May 29, 2017 6:01 am

Well, given that Anastasia was never reunited with her grandmother, never escaped Russia for France and never survived in the first place -- not having Rasputin brought back to life as a villain with a bat familiar and a reliquary of evil powers granted to him by Satan himself doesn't seem to be the biggest nod towards historical accuracy. But then I suppose the Romanovs being taken out back and shot to death would make for a very short and in-poor-taste musical.

That said, I can see the challenges in staging Rasputin and not having it be utterly camp -- but it worked in Anastasia on Ice, okay.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Other Musicals”