Scarlet Pimpernel

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
CC21106

Re: Scarlet Pimpernel

Postby CC21106 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Watching the 14-parter.
Seen it. Liked the foppery.
Last edited by CC21106 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Do let us know what you think of it :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:28 am

Acaila wrote:Do let us know what you think of it :D

Found it hard to keep track of, but that's kind of the point of the story. Unlike in many movies I could tell the characters apart, always a plus. Like a lot of historical dramas, the scenery looks a bit too clean, and the crowds needed to be bigger, but there's probably budget constraints and they could get only so many Madame Defarges. I liked the costumes, especially the men's hats. What the heck happens to Armand? He can't keep impersonating Chauvelin forever.
Sink meh, but that actor does a good fop, odds fish.

Some problem with suspension of disbelief because I know IRL Louis XVII didn't make it to Austria. Like trying to watch "Anastasia" after they found her DNA.

A person I know says he watched it while tripping on acid with a bunch of frat boys. LOL

Now I'm going to go read it. Light reading before bedtime.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:17 pm

I realise I didn't actually know what happened to the dauphin. Have just gone down the rabbit hole that is wikipedia in search of more.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Spoiler alert: it wasn't good. DNA testing ruins all the best mysteries.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:19 pm

I just realized (1) Scarlet Pimpernel is not one single book but a series and (2) Chris Murray is American. :shock:

I think I'm officially the dumbest person on this forum now.

So, is the series any good? I'm considering reading all the books but I'm not sure if I'll like them. I'm not a huge fan of the book (the one titled "The Scarlet Pimpernel") and I'm afraid I'll lose my interest halfway. Hmm...decision time... :?
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 pm

I read most, but not all of the books and if you didn't like the first one, you probably won't be overly enamoured with the rest of them either as the writing is pretty consistent throughout. El Dorado (the fourth book chronologically by publication) is the one that most of the movies tend to be based on or take most elements from, so it can make for an exciting read. Sir Percy Hits Back (the ninth) was good, too, and I confess I read it because one of the episodes of the mini-series is based on it and is about Percy teaming up with Chauvelin's daughter, which I enjoyed. I wouldn't say you necessarily had to read any of them in any particular order, though.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:56 pm

You can get them all on this site by the way - http://blakeneymanor.com/series.html
Deffo start with the Scarlet Pimpernel and work forward from there though, the ones at either end are very much spinning the concept out and not about Percy, Marguerite and Chauvelin so much.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 am

deHavilland wrote:Sir Percy Hits Back (the ninth) was good, too, and I confess I read it because one of the episodes of the mini-series is based on it and is about Percy teaming up with Chauvelin's daughter, which I enjoyed.

Chauvelin has a daughter?!
*rushes to read the book because reading about Chauvelin's daughter is much more interesting than studying for exams*

OK, I'm at the second chapter now. Thank you so much for the spoiler. My goodness, Valjeanized Chauvelin (or Bibi as Fleurette calls him) is so sweet! <3 How can a man like this be so cruel and so fond of terror? Is his tenderness only reserved for his daughter? And is she, like Cosette, totally unaware of...um...what he's done?

Wait, did I just compare Chauvelin to Valjean? This must be the craziest thing I've done ever since I knew Scarlet Pimpernel.

And seriously, "Bibi"? This is way more hilarious than calling Javert Snookums! But the mental image of little Fleurette calling Chauvelin by this nickname is really adorable. :D
Last edited by 23623 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:25 am

Ah, sorry if you thought it was a spoiler. Orczy refers to her in like the third paragraph as "Citizen Armand's daughter," I did say Chauvelin's given name was Armand and not Paul in the books. ;)

But pretty much, this was the same reason I jumped ahead and read Sir Percy Hits Back in the first place.

Postby 23623 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:06 am

Finished it. Have been reading non-stop for the past several hours.

Havvy don't be sorry for the spoiler! Really I have to thank you for it. The fact that I realize right away Fleurette is Chauvelin's daughter makes reading more enjoyable than it should have been, because I keep reminding myself "oh lord this is Chauvelin, this is in fact CHAUVELIN!!"

The writing is...meh as usual, and the plot is kind of similar. Character A suddenly discovers that character B is in fact C, followed by the "can I do this to who I love?" thing. But I like it better than "The Scarlet Pimpernel" for obvious reasons (read: Chauvelin). :mrgreen: Can't say it's among my favorite books but it does add one more entry to my Why-I-Fangirl-Chauvelin-So-Much list.

After this...Valjeanization of Chauvelin I don't think he's miscast in the mini series anymore. Since Fleurette is already 18, he must be much older than Percy and Marguerite. And wish that Fleurette isn't a disappointment in the adaption. *crosses fingers*

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm

The Baroness lived till 1947 :shock:

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:59 pm

23623 wrote:
Acaila wrote:I always thought it was just the OBC with a few extra tracks. Never seen Chris Murray do it though - considering how much I love his sassy Javert, I feel like I would enjoy it.

That was what I thought too! But obviously I was wrong...

Well...believe it or not, I actually thought Murray was miscast as Chauvelin at first! In terms of appearance he looks more like Percy than Chauvelin. And the Percy in the first video I watched is really short. He's about the same height as Marguerite. I'm sure someone who has read the book but never seen the musical would definitely guess that Murray is Percy and that guy is Chauvelin. But these guys really did a great job in acting and now I can't picture them doing it the other way around!

You will like Murray as Chauvelin if you like him as Javert. I predicted that I would like him as Javert because I like him as Chauvelin...and I really do. Same analogy works for you too. :wink:

Hehe, just discovered this topic (been away from forums in general for a while, but yeah). Funny thing about what 23623 said is that Murray originally auditioned for Percy, but the casting folks chose him for Chauvelin instead. In terms of looks, I could certainly see him as Percy, but think his voice might be too big and authoritative... though maybe it could work if he took a similar approach to what he did when he played Clopin in "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame"...

For the Encores album, it's mostly the OBC but with a few changes -- they had Rachel York record "Storybook" and "I'll Forget You" while Rex Smith did "Falcon in the Dive" and "Where's the Girl", though they kept the original tracks with Christine Andreas as Marguerite and Terrence Mann as Chauvelin for all the other songs in the album. Think they also shuffled around a few of the songs to reflect the changes made in the second version of the Broadway production. (Really need to sit down with some bootlegs so I can get to know this show and its different iterations a bit better.) :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Yeah, I'm not so sure about his vocals, but I can see Sassmaster Murray being a marvellously sassy fop! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Hehe, just discovered this topic (been away from forums in general for a while, but yeah). Funny thing about what 23623 said is that Murray originally auditioned for Percy, but the casting folks chose him for Chauvelin instead. In terms of looks, I could certainly see him as Percy, but think his voice might be too big and authoritative... though maybe it could work if he took a similar approach to what he did when he played Clopin in "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame"...

For the Encores album, it's mostly the OBC but with a few changes -- they had Rachel York record "Storybook" and "I'll Forget You" while Rex Smith did "Falcon in the Dive" and "Where's the Girl", though they kept the original tracks with Christine Andreas as Marguerite and Terrence Mann as Chauvelin for all the other songs in the album. Think they also shuffled around a few of the songs to reflect the changes made in the second version of the Broadway production. (Really need to sit down with some bootlegs so I can get to know this show and its different iterations a bit better.) :D

Huge applause for the casting folks. In all seriousness every since I watched his Chauvelin I can never picture Murray as Percy, no matter how hard I try. I can't think of any Chauvelin that matches his Percy either.

Random audition tip: never go for the role you're most suitable for. Because hey, my favorite Javert had auditioned for Enjolras, my favorite Phantom had auditioned for Raoul, and my favorite Chauvelin had auditioned for Percy...is this seriously how casting works? :mrgreen:

Also thanks for the cast information, Prisoner 24653! So, I've actually heard Terrence on Encore, like in The Riddle? Dear lord why was I totally unaware of that? I really didn't have the slightest clue that I was listening to 2 different Chauvelins and Marguerites! And I'm still waiting for someone to explain the difference between German and English versions to me, so please go ahead with your bootlegs, Prisoner 24653!
Side note: I've finally watched some SP1 videos on Youtube. Can't say I like Terrence Mann as Chauvelin though. I like the guy in SP2 better.

Update on the BBC mini series: finished the first episode. Didn't like it very much because I felt really uncomfortable about the exaggeration of violence and sexual content. :( Both Chauvelin and Marguerite seemed a bit OOC. Percy, Tony and Andrew were likable in this series though.

Return to “Other Musicals”